HD Re-Make/ Re-Boot: Game Theory
  • Would love to see a remake of California Games. Was gutted when it was mooted for the 360 and then never materialised.
  • Notable examples: Halflife Black Mesa springs to mind as does the original Resident evil remake.

Games I personally would like to see a HD remake of:

Grim Fandango
    Deus Ex
    System shock
    Shenmue
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The REmake actually now it's mentioned is probably one of the best ones going. Added just the right amount of new stuff. Crimson Heads were great.
  • Crimson heads and Lisa.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Oh God that mention of Metroid Prime got me going. I'd buy summat Nintendo for the first time since the GC for that.
  • Burnout 2 - keep everything the same but add eye-tearing HD 3d and super smooth frame rate. Yep, I'd love that.

Really would not mind a Doom 2 thats based on the gameplay more than the concept. Hugh numbers of bizarre but memorable enemies, health packs, lots of secret rooms even though they make no sense from a plot point of view and more than 2 weapons on your back.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I love B2 so hard. Such a shame that Criterion are essentially disbanded. Fuck knows who you'd even have to ask for the rights since Acclaim went under.

Anyone remember an interview in Edge with the Criterion guys. I'm sure I remember one of them saying "We definitely won't just end up doing annual NFS updates." He was right tho, they did bi-annual updates until being absorbed into the company that was doing the other updates.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I'd rather see devs use classic mechanics and game ideas for new themes. For example few people have bothered to implement Zelda OOT's lock on well, but it would aid a lot of third person games.

A stone cold classic of a game doing this well is Shadow Complex aping Super Metroid incredibly well... More please :-)
  • I don't know what you mean by using the lock on well. Its always seemed like the easy route for games that don't control as well as Ninja Gaiden. Bayonetta has one that actually does something as well as slick controls.

Personally, I can't wait for eye tracking to come as standard so we can do away with camera controls, aim, and lockon for good.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Really would not mind a Doom 2 thats based on the gameplay more than the concept. Hugh numbers of bizarre but memorable enemies, health packs, lots of secret rooms even though they make no sense from a plot point of view and more than 2 weapons on your back.

Brutal Doom shows the way.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I second Deus Ex, also where's that oft rumoured Skies of Arcadia HD * stamps foot impatiently ala Sonic the fallen hog * no gameplay tweaks required.
  • Brutal Doom fuck yes.
  • Brutal Doom looks great!
    It has that retro look but with all kinds of next gen polish like particles and light effects + mouselook for added bonus.
    Looks like it could also work on a mobile device.
  • I agree with Moto re SWAT, I did have a legit copy of SWAT 4 somewhere and along with Homeworld, it was one of those games that I could replay whenever and enjoy all the way through.

I liked the Endwar/Rainbow 6 mechanic of using headsets for control.  Dare I say it, but with Kinect/headset stuff, a modern SWAT game could be nicely different.

Rather than thinking about what games would look better now with more shinies, I've thought before (in fact, I started a thread on maroonrum about it) about what games could be genuinely enhanced with new-gen features, rather than just enhanced graphics.  SWAT would fit that; cloud-based AI, voice commands, that sort of thing, stuff they just couldn't do a generation or 2 ago.

I need to buy a PC just for Homeworld and SWAT :(
  • Oculus Rift and P.Morpheus say : Hello.
    Opportunities for HD remakes/Director's Cut/ Enhanced VR edition of classics galore.
  • I think we'll see a lot of old games remade/Rifted for VR, whether they benefit or not.
  • I still can't believe how good Brutal Doom looks. Retro-future ftw.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's fecking amazing looking isn't it? Need to get myself a copy of Doom 2 off Steam. It's just a case of installing something in the WAD folder - amazing job.

All credit to Carmack who is a code architectural genius to build it in a way that allows this amount of scope in a mod so long ago.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Some old stuff upscales tremendously well with the right hardware/settings/emulator. Recently I tried Dragon Quest Viii, looked fantastic in 1080p, my PC couldn't maintain a decent frame rate though. Lots of potential there and elsewhere from that era. 

I'd love to see an update of blast corps, could be knocked together fairly easily by rare, they could even tack on some kinetic bollocks to justify it. 

Metronidazole (auto correct but I'm leaving it) Prime HD would be immense.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Loads of old games are great with an upres. Bump it to 60fps if it wasn't already. I wish the whole bleem thing took off. We could just be buying £5 patches to old games instead of paying full whack for a spit and polish.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Opinion: lock-on (and auto-jump) ruined Ocarina of Time.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    But it's neither a combat game or a platformer @Escape. It, was for me at least, more about the adventure, the puzzles, the dungeons etc.

Coming back to my point about lock-on is that it meant that you could effectively control what you wanted to target, without having to spin a camera or hope the developer got the camera angles right. I think they got the balance right, but that someone now should take that and build on it. As much as I've enjoyed playing Uncharted and TLoU recently, the close combat is pretty woeful and many times I died due to badly controlled cameras.

@IanHamlett Bayonetta I played a bit, and perhaps didn't get the nuances, but the noise for me drowned out any kind of considered tactical approach to combat, but that was probably lack of time (and skill) spent with the game.
  • Good shout on Metroid Prime. Some games ooze atmosphere and have such a well designed world that would benefit from the extra power and resolution of newer consoles. MP is one of them.

Another I would choose is Vagrant Story. I would love to replay it. But I just can't stand PSOne visuals anymore. HD and new visuals would do wonders for the game, just don't mess with the style.

In fact; I'm going to replay it anyway.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    But it's neither a combat game or a platformer @Escape. It, was for me at least, more about the adventure, the puzzles, the dungeons etc.

I played Mario 64 first, and assumed its engine would be repurposed. The greatest jump in 3D, gone. Immersion-breaking automation was pervasive.

A Link to the Past's combat was so good because it imposed limits on evasion and defence - one or the other. Ocarina of Time could have achieved this, and those who claim otherwise are blinded by the FUD smokescreen afront the dumbing-down of mechanics.

I'm not saying it fails as an adventure, but mechanically, I think it sucked.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    I played Mario 64 first, and assumed its engine would be repurposed. The greatest jump in 3D, gone. Immersion-breaking automation was pervasive. A Link to the Past's combat was so good because it imposed limits on evasion and defence - one or the other. Ocarina of Time could have achieved this, and those who claim otherwise are blinded by the FUD smokescreen afront the dumbing-down of mechanics. I'm not saying it fails as an adventure, but mechanically, I think it sucked.

I'd love to know what games at the time, with the exception of Mario 64 had great third person controls? OOT when I first played it I admit the auto jumps was weird, but apart from that the combat was enjoyable, especially compared to stuff out around the time.
  • North and South with a decent response to input mechanic.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Ali wrote:
    Road Rash 3DO! Pleeeeeeeease.
    Eric wrote:
    ...Road Rash 3DO is a great call though.
    Roujin wrote:
    .... I would also welcome a new Road Rash.
    Thats still my fav Road Rash game, blew my mind when I first saw that on 3DO. ...
    May not be much cop, but:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/14/road-redemption-alpha-download/
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Blade runner and syndicate wars please.
  • Stunt Car Racer is a shout, although maybe it'd be better suited to VR.  Also, 1080 is a shout. So atmospheric with the music turned off.

Good call.
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!