Current Affairs
  • Brooks wrote:
    I'm hoping that's why they were pissed off with him, they said don't call the actions of Likud and pals into question and he said get tae.

The BB of Deputies want, as I recall, an independent assessor of antisemitism complaints staffed largely by them. I heard that on the radio yesterday, and chuckled.

• legaldinho wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    I'm hoping that's why they were pissed off with him, they said don't call the actions of Likud and pals into question and he said get tae.
    The BB of Deputies want, as I recall, an independent assessor of antisemitism complaints staffed largely by them. I heard that on the radio yesterday, and chuckled.

I was just about to post the same, then got the page turn and saw you’d beaten me to it.  According to the Today Programme yesterday, they were demanding an Independent Ombudsman be established, that reported directly to the Board of Deputies and the Jewish Council.  My reaction was much the same as yours.  

I don’t doubt for a second that there’s a problem with anti-semitism in Labour (and racism, sexism, and xenophobia in general.  In all of the parties) but this seems an incredibly counter-productive way of addressing it.
  • Tin nailed it in his last paragraph.

Fyi James O'Brian is on LBC right now doing calls on this and generally doin it awsum.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    I don't want to wade into a thing but fuck people who think being anti Israel's shitty treatment of Palestine makes you an anti semite.

This is what annoys me about the 'charge' of anti semitism...

You know shit is fucked when you can't explore elementary history, without being given a label and a social penalty. Going back to that mural though...

That was offensive.

What Ken Livingstone said though, wasn't...

Ken Livingstone, like George Galloway however, generally doesn't do himself any favours with how he avails himself of his opinion on extremely sensitive subjects:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/05/eight-dodgy-things-ken-livingstone-has-said-jews-hitler/

But if he's being ostracised, particularly, for the bringing up the subject of Hitler's purported support of Zionism (which you'd think made a lot of sense to the Nazis at the time), then the Labour party should probably back the mofo out of principle...

Sure... Argue against what he said, just like we've been discussing that dumbass 'Harris/Murray" shit...

But drop the pitchforks... 
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Livingston is a fucking idiot.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Non Sequitur...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-latin-america-43892999/mexican-cowboy-stops-armed-robbery-in-monterrey-mexico

Sure the yanks are unhinged, but they do have their moments...
  • The Mexicans too, it seems.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I don't want to wade into a thing but fuck people who think being anti Israel's shitty treatment of Palestine makes you an anti semite.
    This is what annoys me about the 'charge' of anti semitism... You know shit is fucked when you can't explore elementary history, without being given a label and a social penalty. Going back to that mural though... That was offensive. What Ken Livingstone said though, wasn't... Ken Livingstone, like George Galloway however, generally doesn't do himself any favours with how he avails himself of his opinion on extremely sensitive subjects: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/05/eight-dodgy-things-ken-livingstone-has-said-jews-hitler/ But if he's being ostracised, particularly, for the bringing up the subject of Hitler's purported support of Zionism (which you'd think made a lot of sense to the Nazis at the time), then the Labour party should probably back the mofo out of principle... Sure... Argue against what he said, just like we've been discussing that dumbass 'Harris/Murray" shit... But drop the pitchforks... 

It is frustrating when people who have a sensible point of view seem to go out their way to be bloody minded about how they communicate. It serves themselves and others to no purpose whatsoever. Playing to the right gallery is needed at times - even it means repeating yourself again and again.

But when in a leadership position, it is even more important to back it up with action and Mr Corbyn doesn't come across like that for various reasons and he needs to address it. He comes across as a protest man - great when in the peanut gallery - not so much when in the hotseat. If he could get his finger out he could oust the bunch of clowns currently "in power".
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    The Mexicans too, it seems.

Hoops...
  • https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/04/mass-child-human-animal-sacrifice-peru-chimu-science/

"Ancient Mass Child Sacrifice May Be World's Largest. More than 140 children were ritually killed in a single event in Peru more than 500 years ago. What could possibly have been the reason?"

Some really messed up shit. Cutting their hearts out. jees.
  • Sounds like Rudd's been at the quotas again.
  • Nearby was found a Make Peru Great Again hat.
  • The Mayans, Aztecs and other (I presume) south American ancient civilizations loved a good human sacrifice for the gods. That mass sacrifice, although big, isn't some rare thing for them. It was quite an honour iirc to be sacrificed to the gods as far as they were concerned.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • End of the Korean War to be announced later this year, in one of those "that definitely went better than expected" moments.
  • Give yer man Trump the peace prize now. I honestly think he's played a blinder here.
  • What did he do? This is between the Koreas I thought.
  • He got them to stop using a test site that it turns out has collapsed and is unusable and potentially dangerous.
  • Epic ftw.
  • S. Korea's Moon seems to be the most effective driver behind this round of talks.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • You know The Donald will be milking the absolute shit out of this one.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-43921385

Looks like full denuclearisation is the goal then, as well as a peace treaty.
    Still not sure how much I trust this, seems all very sudden.

Are North Korea financially fucked?
  • Now let’s see someone fucking do something about those Israelis.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • And sort out Myanmar. 

And Kashmir. 

And and and
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I hope the Korean talks wind up being sincere. There's an awful lot of suffering there; separated families and gulags. 

If the North are playing mind games it would have to be a particularly cruel strategy. Who knows what's really going on.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    I hope the Korean talks wind up being sincere. There's an awful lot of suffering there; separated families and gulags. 

If the North are playing mind games it would have to be a particularly cruel strategy. Who knows what's really going on.

Agreed. I'm sure there's some dubious shit going on in the background but at a time when every international story seems to be war or some form of conflict it would be nice to think peace can still show up every now and again.
    SFV - reddave360
  • How could you even suggest that Kim isn’t sincere? Look at his wee chubby face! He’s adorable. Lovely wee chunky unit smiling away and walking around with that classic fat guy strut.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • As if the whole Alfie Evans case couldn't get more depressing, big old Nigel Farage has opened his shit sluice on Fox news to give his perfectly qualified opinion on how the Doctor's suggestion is state sponsored euthanasia. I wish he'd fucking died in that plane crash.
  • Korea thing is making me really chuffed so I too hope it isn't some kind of fuckwash.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!