Current Affairs
  • The Irish border is the biggest issue preventing a solution really.
    The Austrian PM just said he was open to extending the deadline, specifically referring to the Irish border as a reason.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What are Europe's options?
    Obviously we owe them money and the Irish border is as problematic for them as it is us.
    Hypotheticaly could they tell us to jog on?

I believe so, while trying to help Ireland reach a solution. It could be that headaches like the Irish border provide us with the only bargaining chips we have. It's in their interest to see us do worse after leaving, and the worse the better.

I don’t know that that’s true, TBH, if it was then they wouldn’t be so willing to offer us options like EFTA membership which would mean things barely change for us here.

It’s in their interest to preserve the union, they aren’t going to undermine that by letting us cherrypick, but it’s in Europe’s interest for us to do well. In or out we’re an important trading partner and still part of Europe, if things go badly for us, it will have an effect on the rest of the EU.
  • It'll have a bigger effect if we do ok. I don't think they're expecting to do a deal. I think they are very concerned about Ireland and what to do about that, but unlike Ireland I also suspect they're willing to go full border as a solution. I'm not even sure there is another solution.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I don't see why the UK should put up a border.

It's the EU that wants it? Leave them to it.

It will be impossible to implement in any meaningful way anyhow.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Full border fucks the Good Friday agreeement in the bin tho. I think the EU are aware of that, hence why the onus is on UK top define a suitable strategy as we are the ones who are looking to change the status quo.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We can have single market membership, we can be in the CU, if we chose those options, very little will change for us except we no longer have a voice.

Europe would be very happy for us to take that option, and I don’t think anyone believes that if we were to take it that would have any sort of negative impact on the EU.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I don't see why the UK should put up a border.

It's the EU that wants it? Leave them to it.

It will be impossible to implement in any meaningful way anyhow.

As I understand it, us not putting up a border would mean that we’re already breaking WTO rules which are the very rules that we want to fall back on. Plus, it makes us look like unreliable partners, hardly a good thing when trying to sign trade deals.
  • We won't have single market membership. Both sides have stressed this.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    I don't see why the UK should put up a border. It's the EU that wants it? Leave them to it. It will be impossible to implement in any meaningful way anyhow.
    As I understand it, us not putting up a border would mean that we’re already breaking WTO rules which are the very rules that we want to fall back on. Plus, it makes us look like unreliable partners, hardly a good thing when trying to sign trade deals.

Maybe so.

It's a bit of a fuckup really. Ain't it?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We won't have single market membership. Both sides have stressed this.

It’s on offer, we can’t have it due our governmemt’s red lines.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    We won't have single market membership. Both sides have stressed this.

It’s on offer, we can’t have it due our governmemt’s red lines.

Yes, it's on offer if we essentially don't have a Brexit.
  • davyK wrote:
    I don't see why the UK should put up a border. It's the EU that wants it? Leave them to it. It will be impossible to implement in any meaningful way anyhow.

The EU requires it to protect the internal market. The UK doesn't have to put up a border, if they are perfectly happy to have for example uncontrolled immigration through the Irish border, but anything coming into Ireland would need to go through a border, regardless of what the UK does.

The problem is of the UK's making, so it's up to the UK to resolve it. That the rUK doesn't give a fuck about Northern Ireland isn't the EU's fault.
  • Yes, it's on offer if we essentially don't have a Brexit.

Brexit means leaving the EU, nothing more, nothing less. The future trading relationship can be anything else. If the UK is no longer a member of the EU, we've done a Brexit.
  • davyK wrote:

The EU requires it to protect the internal market. The UK doesn't have to put up a border, if they are perfectly happy to have for example uncontrolled immigration through the Irish border, but anything coming into Ireland would need to go through a border, regardless of what the UK does.

The problem is of the UK's making, so it's up to the UK to resolve it. That the rUK doesn't give a fuck about Northern Ireland isn't the EU's fault.

Not resolving the NI border means we don’t resolve any of our borders. So queues at Dover, JIT manufacturing obliterated and a hundred other things.
  • Yes, it's on offer if we essentially don't have a Brexit.

Brexit means leaving the EU, nothing more, nothing less. The future trading relationship can be anything else. If the UK is no longer a member of the EU, we've done a Brexit.

It can't be in the single market and restrict the flow of people, so a border would seem the only solution, but as Roujin days this would pretty much fuck Good Friday, but something has to give.
  • https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/porton-down-what-is-explained-experiments-salisbury-wiltshire-novichok-latest-a8431951.html

Oh yeah it's just a "coincidence" that a deadly Russian nerve agent has now poisoned 4 people and there's a lab nearby that has massive stocks of the stuff.

Reckon someone has fucked up with the waste management or there's been a random contamination.
  • Don't restrict the flow of people then.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Or just, you know, present a decent road for Irish reunification. That's be the end of the DUP bastards as well.
  • Or the Russians have tried to kill two people and then poisoned another two randoms to throw off the scent. Who knows. You can do and think what you please in the conspiracy age.
  • ZMM wrote:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/porton-down-what-is-explained-experiments-salisbury-wiltshire-novichok-latest-a8431951.html

Oh yeah it's just a "coincidence" that a deadly Russian nerve agent has now poisoned 4 people and there's a lab nearby that has massive stocks of the stuff.

Reckon someone has fucked up with the waste management or there's been a random contamination.

Yep, sounds really plausible that the waste management mishap affected a couple of Russian ex-pats who were given extradition here rather than any other locals.
  • Don't have a Brexit referendum then.

Well quite.
  • Kow wrote:
    Or just, you know, present a decent road for Irish reunification. That's be the end of the DUP bastards as well.

Stranger things have happened.I know you really shouldn't base any group on looks but if you did the DUP would all be shot out of sympathy.
  • Ahahaha.  Fucking tool.
  • Brexiteers now bleating that there won't be scope to make deals with the U.S.
    Business leaders saying they don't even want to deal with the U.S.
  • Hi US, please can we give you everything you want, with nothing in it for us, and if it's not too much trouble could you make our lives worse in every way?
  • Dante there’s billions to be made from flogging off the NHS to American private health care companies. Tens of billions.

Not by you obviously. You’ll pay more for worse treatment. But to stand in the way of other people doing well for themselves is typical Labour stuff. The politics of envy.
  • I remember when that would have been satire, not straight reportage of policy.
  • I just walked past Keith Vaz. He was immaculately dressed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!