Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I would love for them to hoof her out, love it.
    It's such a shit job right now only a total moron would take it.
    BorisJohnsonGettyImages-472459584-920x584.jpg
  • David Davies has resigned.
  • Michael Barnier, because the conversations suddenly became much more productive.
  • I love the setup for posting a pic of Boris. Low hanging fruit but still worth a chuckle.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I can't decide if him going is good or bad for the country.

Fuck knows what happens now. Probably Gove in to drive it through.
  • I'd put money on it not being Gove...but stranger things have happened.
  • Is it crunch time yet?
  • Gove or else she doubles down and it's Hammond or her number two.

But she needs to shore things up in her party so it's Gove or Leadsom god help us all.
  • Dear Prime Minister

As you know there have been a significant number of occasions in the last year or so on which I have disagreed with the Number 10 policy line, ranging from accepting the Commission’s sequencing of negotiations through to the language on Northern Ireland in the December Joint Report.

At each stage I have accepted collective responsibility because it is part of my task to find workable compromises, and because I considered it was still possible to deliver on the mandate of the referendum, and on our manifesto commitment to leave the Customs Union and the Single Market.

I am afraid that I think the current trend of policy and tactics is making that look less and less likely.

Whether it is the progressive dilution of what I thought was a firm Chequers agreement in February on right to diverge, or the unnecessary delays of the start of the White Paper, or the presentation of a backstop proposal that omitted the strict conditions that I requested and believed that we had agreed, the general direction of policy will leave us in at best a weak negotiating position, and possibly an inescapable one. The Cabinet decision on Friday crystallised this problem.

In my view the inevitable consequence of the proposed policies will be to make the supposed control by Parliament illusory rather than real.

As I said at Cabinet, the “common rule book” policy hands control of large swathes of our economy to the EU and is certainly not returning control of our laws in any real sense.

I am also unpersuaded that our negotiating approach will not just lead to further demands for concessions.

Of course this is a complex area of judgement and it is possible that you are right and I am wrong.

However, even in that event it seems to me that the national interest requires a Secretary of State in my Department that is an enthusiastic believer in your approach, and not merely a reluctant conscript.

While I have been grateful to you for the opportunity to serve, it is with great regret that I tender my resignation from the Cabinet with immediate effect.

Yours ever, David Davis
  • He has a point in that we've gone from rule maker to rule taker, but unfortunately that's the thing everyone with a brain was saying through the referendum campaign. The idea that we can strike a trade deal on any terms other than the EU telling us there are the terms of trade was fantasy.

It's far far too late, but it's pretty clear we had a bigger influencing role inside the union than we ever will outside.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Gove or else she doubles down and it's Hammond or her number two. But she needs to shore things up in her party so it's Gove or Leadsom god help us all.

Yeah, if Gove gets in it will because of a lack of alternatives. It kinda makes some sense in that his relationship with Boris isn't great now, which will appeal to May, and he's a leaver which is what the base requires, but:

1. Apart from the Boris thing, he's not a natural ally to May.
    2. The backbenchers and various Tory power figures don't trust him at all.
    3. He's unlikely to sit back and let May "lead" "negotiations" for as long as Davis did. 
    4. He's publicly tied to a more emphatic form of Brexit at a time when May is trying to get the party behind much softer alternatives. 

May is under proper threat and she needs real allies in key positions now. I don't know if Gove fits that bill.

But, as you say, who else is there?
  • At this point she should probably just go for broke and make a power grab - the old reasoning of having a "balanced" cabinet to appease a rowdy set of rebels has proven pointless, as they've kicked up and made ultimatums at every opportunity. Gove would stab her in the back first chance he got, the dude is a snake.

If she's brave she'll play chicken and get Lidington, then challenge the back-benches for a vote of no confidence or STFU.
  • She really should just resign and let some other twat pointlessly try to sort it out the unsortable.
  • Noel Edmonds gets my vote. We should call a snap election.
  • Gove really went to bat for her over this plan though. They might well have had a spat stretching back years, but when he could have caused trouble for her, he chose to have her back.

Comedy pick - Ken Clarke.
    Unity pick - Michael Gove.
    I'm sick of your shit pick - David Lidington.
  • The Mr Blobby Party. Might as fucking well.
  • Just stopping by to lol @ the David Davis news. Strong look for all the Brexiteers out there.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • "We were clear that brexit means brexit, but while this brexit is quite brexit, it's not brexit enough!"
  • Gove will surely be the replacement, under the assumption he’s the best one to sell this steaming turd to leave voters. Not only would Gove go on tv and radio and argue that black is white, he’d argue that black is the whitest white there’s ever been, the only true white and it’s been that way all along.
  • Fair play to David Davis though who seems like he’s left on principle, sacrificing his career for what he believes. Not the first time that’s happened for him and more than any of the others can muster. In any sensible legislature, David Davis would have been out of his depth just as an MP let alone leading a renegotiation of our entire economy and law. Not his fault though.
  • "I wouldn't have done a good job of delivering May's Brexit plan" Davis.
    Yeah, unlike the brilliant job you have done up to now.
  • Noel Edmonds gets my vote. We should call a snap election.
    I dunno. All he does is ask whether they'll take the deal or not, while letting the bankers set the actual terms.
  • monkey wrote:
    Fair play to David Davis though who seems like he’s left on principle, sacrificing his career for what he believes. Not the first time that’s happened for him and more than any of the others can muster. I any sensible legislature, David Davis would have been out of his depth just as an MP let alone leading a renegotiation of our entire economy and law. Not his fault though.

Fuck right off, he shouldn't have taken the job if he wasn't up to it, it's the most important role in the cabinet at the moment and this utter fuckknuckle has sat on his hands doing fuck all for the last 2 years and has finally thrown up his hands and admitted defeat when is almost too late in the day to do anything.

He's a fucking cretin who was content to sit in a crucial role he couldn't handle and collect his money for as long as possible until he jumped before his utter incompetence came to light.

Davis deserves no sympathy for utterly wasting the electorates time and money.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • JonB wrote:
    Noel Edmonds gets my vote. We should call a snap election.
    I dunno. All he does is ask whether they'll take the deal or not, while letting the bankers set the actual terms.

Strong.
  • To be fair, monkey was being sarcastic..
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!