Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Everyone else is a hack but not him, got it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I mean, you're defending a guy who defends a guy that uses chemical weapons against civilians, but yeah, I'm the bad guy.
  • I'm not defending anyone, I'm being skeptical, try it sometimes.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I am, skeptical of max.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    And you introduced me to him when you recommended his podcast. I hadn't paid any attention to him before, but I listened to that and it got the spidy senses tingling. So I looked more into him and it became overwhelmingly obvious to me that he is suspect.

I'm not saying don't be critical of western intervention or skeptical of western accusations, but I am saying that I don't believe that he is a good faith actor, or a good source.
  • The splc took down the article, it seems, because they looked at the claims about various names and decided they couldn't verify them. Which is kinda why I was wary reading it.

Hard left and right wing folks having some overlaps is not necessarily big news. It happens occasionally for numerous reasons.

Israel is always a good example for white supremacists and the left.

I dunno.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • The real point is, correlation is not causation. Applies mutadis mutandis to Russian talking points. A rational person should accept that, since Syria is in Russia's sphere, they will defend it to the max. Arguments deployed defending Syria will encompass a range in the merit scale, from disinformation and fabrication, to exaggeration, and pure advocacy.

Russia's intelligence / diplomats won't be going "wow that is a great and very good and accurate and super trufax point right there. Shove it up your ass Boris, we only deal in lies". They'll throw these in with the other lot.

So if a skeptical Western journo or politico stumbles across the same trufax, there is correlation. But using Goobz' "logic", that correlation is suspect. That article was taken down because it is made up only of innuendo based on correlation. Take the white helmets - there is simply an assertion that skepticism about them is a Russian talking point.

But I'm sorry, I don't know hardly fuck all about Syria, but I was able to watch that Vice news docu on them and I was "these guys are 100% salafis". I then looked them up and the fucking thing was set up by an ex-UK military and is based in Kenya... Or Mogadishu or some shite.

I mean, what the fuck! A fucking simpo could figure out there is something fishy about these guys. To anyone with Arab contacts who can tell them, based on speech, intonations, utterations, that these guys are islamists, they will come to the same views.

My problem with this black/white Russia stuff is this: dismissing something or someone out of hand b cause their views are echoed by Russia is ridiculous. The USSR criticised Vietnam along precisely the same lines as the anti-war domestic movement, and the same argument was deployed against the latter. You're pro Soviet. You're anti American.

Now it's pro-assad. He was anti-assad because Assad is a dick. Then this stupid war happened and he railed against it. Now that means he's pro-assad.

I despair. Nuance is truly dead in today's world. It's depressing

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Why was he so adamant that Assad didn't use chemical weapons? All the evidence suggested that he did, and yet max jumped to defend him.

He claimed it made no sense for assad to do so, a narrative you repeated in here. This is why I've got such a hard on for him. An intelligent person like you parrots his rubbish like is some well considered argument, but it's normally bullshit. You even admitted yourself later (after having spoken to a 3*) that it actually might have been a valid tactic for Assad to use chemical weapons.

Even when the OPCW an UN state that Assad wa responsible for war crimes max doesn't retract his claims or correct the record. That's why he's suspect. He's got an agenda, and as convinced as you are that the white helmets are a salifist terrorist propaganda arm of MI6, I'm convinced Max is a Kremlin stooge that only ever pushes lines that follow a Kremlin line to take.

• He claimed it made no sense for assad to do so, a narrative you repeated in here. This is why I've got such a hard on for him. An intelligent person like you parrots his rubbish like is some well considered argument, but it's normally bullshit. You even admitted yourself later (after having spoken to a 3*) that it actually might have been a valid tactic for Assad to use chemical weapons.

This is quite revealing. I hadn't read or come across that guy at all when I was arguing with you. I was defending and relying, inter alia, on that veteran Viet Nam hack. I used my own reasoning abilities - such as they are - and was not parroting this guy at all.

It's later that I came across the moderate rebels podcast (on YouTube). Even then I didn't pay attention to names so I didn't even realise until yesterday that Max Blumenthal was on it!

And at the time, I remember you struggling to explain why Assad would use chemical weapons. It was a friend who had met this general at a posh Oxford and Cambridge club do who gave me the first ever plausible explanation.

Anyway, I'm a veteran of Israel/Palestine, and I can spot an entrenched position a mile off. You probably don't believe me anyway, so what's the point in engaging.

All I will say is that there can be NO doubt that western intervention in Iraq, Libya, and Syria have made these regions worse. Worse for everyone. I don't like Saddam, Gaddafi or assad; but their countries are worse for toppling them. They are worse in a particular way: they unleased Sunni Islamism's egregious excesses. Life is worse for every other denomination, touareg, azidi, Christian, kurd, druze, and alawite. I listen to westernised, moderate, Arabs and others and they all seemed to oppose the forces we have unleased against the dictator. I can hold two thoughts in my head at once: Assad bad, no Assad worse. That's only "pro Assad" in your binary world, not mine.

There are actual slaves in Libya. Actual, slaves.

Millions of migrants flee. To Europe. Where the local population is growing increasingly xenophobic. So quite apart from the abhorrence of exponentially increasing human suffering in the region by pursuing a policy of regime change, this has become personal for me, ozno, who will be "humanely" repatriated, at best, off the back of this shit. Not you, goobz, me, ozno. Fucking teaching English in the atlas mountains for a jug of olive oil and half a K of dried figs, and probably having to marry a cousin. Thanks bud.
  • But the aerolas on your cousin... Like amphoras.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I was struggling to explain it to you because I thought it was obvious and therefore wasn't doing a good job. You didn't even know how gas worked.
  • All I will say is that there can be NO doubt that western intervention in Iraq, Libya, and Syria have made these regions worse. Worse for everyone. I don't like Saddam, Gaddafi or assad; but their countries are worse for toppling them. They are worse in a particular way: they unleased Sunni Islamism's egregious excesses. Life is worse for every other denomination, touareg, azidi, Christian, kurd, druze, and alawite. I listen to westernised, moderate, Arabs and others and they all seemed to oppose the forces we have unleased against the dictator. I can hold two thoughts in my head at once: Assad bad, no Assad worse.

Its really just a continuation of the fuckups of the 20th century, such as the campaigns against communist countries in the SE Asia region (more than Vietnam; there was a particularly nasty set of genocidal-scale acts carried out in Indonesia that have only really been exposed in detail in recent years).

It does genuinely present two options about the western sphere as to whether it is
    a) incompetent at facilitating regime change that the locals actually want
    or
    b) complicit in the atrocities of the various factions that emerge

Any country, be it Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Israel, Palestine, Syria, Vietnam, Indonesia, Argentina, Cuba, Colombia, Nicaragua, Panama, have all suffered as a consequence of external influences conflicting with domestic agency.

Countries I am completely ignorant on but am willing to accept might be the result of fuckups include Libya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Sudan, Cambodia, South Korea and if you want to draw a longer temporal bow, China.

Which does put the idea of "foreign interference" of a Russian troll factory into perspective, somewhat.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Roger Scrotum sacked and not too soon either.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I rember you not being willing to listen to or accept my explanation. Maybe it wasn't as detailed as it should have been but then I thought the reasons were obvious.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    And gonz, you claim I am binary, but when have I ever said that western intervention has been a good thing? I have argued against what I see as disinformation regarding the chemical weapons attacks. One of the people that I think disseminates that disinformation is max. He seems to be to be considered non partisan by some people on this forum who I respect. That makes me sad (because you know exactly what my issues are with him).

People are free to form whatever opinions they want, but when I respect those people I feel its important for me to point out to the when I think their sources of information are flawed.
  • The binary stuff is me throwing some smoke up your ass about the "he used to be anti Assad and now he's pro Assad". Which could be used Vs me. I was full of hope and shit at the Arab Spring. But shit turned quickly.

Give the guy a chance. If he wanted to shill, he could easily have done it for the Clinton camp, like daddy: make war on everything. I find it v difficult that he would shill for Russia. At worst he is a useful idiot. But ignore that a sec and just pay attention to the merit of what he says, issue by issue. He's right on Venezuela, for example, broadly speaking.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm sure he's right, broadly speaking, about a lot of stuff. But he's not the only saying those things. There are some very specific things that he says that, in my opinion, he would only be saying if he was shilling for Russia.

That doesn't mean everything he says is wrong, but it does mean that if he's weaving those specific things in with his general truths, how is the casual observer going to pick them out? That's why I say don't listen to him. Not because everything he says is bollocks, but because 5% of it is, and (again, in my opinion) deliberately so.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    National elections here in two weeks. Looks like the far right are on the rise here too. New party Vox has about 10% of the vote, which is a lot considering they didn't even exist for the last elections. It's sadder because the party has no policies at all outside of expelling immigrants, having a 'Reconquista' day as a national holiday and outlawing gays, laws against hate speech and women's rights. The leader has even said policies about economy etc are of no interest to him, only 'patriotism' and 'honour'. It looks like the left will almost definitely take the election so they'll have 4 years to do something about all this.
  • May 18 for us. Similar thing. Looking like Labor will get in. But one nation will poll a worrying amount.

Anning has a literal nazi party running.

Doubt they'll win anything.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Leader of Vox spouts such dumb stuff I really don't understand how people listen at all. He said the thousands murdered to build the fascist monument to "the fallen" were killed "for love". Wtf.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There’s yer Assange arrested.
  • I’ve not followed his story but I’ve never quite understood why he was so hated, revealing things the government don’t want you to know seems like a good thing to me. Especially when it’s unprovoked murder like the collateral damage vid.

I know about the rape accusations but was under the impression they were unproven.

On the BBC they were joyous, acting like Himmler had been arrested. It’s a bit sickly.
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    I’ve not followed his story but I’ve never quite understood why he was so hated, revealing things the government don’t want you to know seems like a good thing to me. Especially when it’s unprovoked murder like the collateral damage vid.

I know about the rape accusations but was under the impression they were unproven.

On the BBC they were joyous, acting like Himmler had been arrested. It’s a bit sickly.

This man is totally fucked, mark my words. It'll be no mercy for him.

Journos and hacks justify going from giving this man awards to him being OBL based on two things:

1. He is now a Russian, pro Putin asset. (See thread re correlation and causation)

2. He raw dumped data, and asked members of the public to help sift through it. Exposed agents who were captured and died. Treason

Cf Snowden, who trusted journalists with it, so they redacted etc.

There is something in that, for sure. Some Iranian spying on the ayatollah gets fucked, he's a good guy who gets fucked. But this rationale for deploring assange and WikiLeaks existed even at the time he was being praised and showered with awards.

My take - assange is an idiot, libertarian, coder. He had no idea what he was doing. He just had blind faith that the internet cyber age was going to deliver us from the shackles of patronising state stlystems. He is mentally a bit out there. Snowden really did show him up.

That doesn't justify the living hell he is going to be loving through. But I'm afraid he will, there will be no compassion for him. He will be deported to the US, and done for espionnage.
  • Assange seems like a dickhead, but hes still been treated badly.

The Wikileaks stuff is fine by me.
  • Yeah, I don’t imagine he’s in for a fun time.

Sending a message seems like the main motivation - don’t dare reveal all the horrible, callous things we get up to, or we’ll get Guantanamo Bay on your arse.
  • It's a wait and see for me. If he ends up in the US it'll look very shady.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Similarly, I haven't followed the whole story but gather there were some questions as to where the information they were leaking came from, at least in more recent years if not from the beginning, and that wikileaks were either knowingly or unknowingly being used as a puppet by state actors to discredit other governments.

Whether or not the rape accusations were unfounded, he seemed to use his fear of extradition to the US as a reason to avoid extradition to Sweden where a full investigation could be carried out.

Certainly I think it reached a point where you have to separate the acts of wikileaks from the person of Assange. The organisation may have been, or be doing, good but that doesn't make him immune from prosecution of other crimes.
  • Cosby wrote:
    … you have to separate the acts of wikileaks from the person of Assange. The organisation may have been, or be doing, good but that doesn't make him immune from prosecution of other crimes.

That’s where I’m sitting. Wikileaks, as an organisation, is a good idea. Needs developing in stronger ways if it is to be trusted, but a good idea (that yes, probably has been exploited by state actors but as an organisation remains innocent). Assange, the man, is guilty as hell of sexual assault and of evading arrest. Book him, Danno.
  • It is amusing that captivity seems to have morphed him into Uncle Albert from Only Fools & Horses.

skynews-julian-assange-arrested_4635825.jpg?20190411111109
  • Assange is an idiot. No doubt he had good intentions with wikileaks but in the end he just became a tool (Lols) for the powers that be. Russians, big business, the alt right, they all used him to do his bidding. Result: Brexit and Trump. The irony is the Trump admin will show him no mercy, they'll hang him by his entrails.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!