Current Affairs
  • I refuse to believe anyone other than a bot writes that shit but the people who make them deserve a lifetime of writing nothing but them.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    There are actual print articles with one female “journo” from the Mail constantly slagging her off.
  • You know they're a set of dicks, but it's still a surprise quite how bad they are when you see it laid out in front of you. It's quite scary as well that this shit obviously works on a lot of people. They've never met someone or paid much attention, but they have a deeply held dislike just because they've been exposed to these rags.
  • I just despair for the future
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I_R wrote:
    You know they're a set of dicks, but it's still a surprise quite how bad they are when you see it laid out in front of you. It's quite scary as well that this shit obviously works on a lot of people. They've never met someone or paid much attention, but they have a deeply held dislike just because they've been exposed to these rags.

And that’s how politics works now too. Thanks for Brexit and austerity, tabloid owners.
  • https://twitter.com/BenjaminMillar/status/1215584336210038785?s=19

Posted elsewhere, but pertinent.

Murdoch cunts, after being refused an interview by a victim of the fires who lost their house, just mash three of her tweets together and remove context to say the opposite of what she said.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    There seems to be a significant amount of protest taking place in Iran following the passenger jet shooting. While I obviously hope they can get more democratic freedoms, I feel bad that I hate the thought that Trump will be able claim the credit if it happens.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    A large metal plate launched by an explosion at a chemical plant in Spain's autonomous Catalonia region killed a man 3km (two miles) away.

Fuckin A
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Oh it's already in the no subject thread, despite being on the subject of affairs that are current. How confusing.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    A large metal plate launched by an explosion at a chemical plant in Spain's autonomous Catalonia region killed a man 3km (two miles) away.

Fuckin A

That's metal.

Jesus Christ though, that's a "your number's up" situation.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Manuel dead.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The public transport network of Wuhan City (the city with the virus outbreak) has been closed been closed by the government. That seems like quite a dramatic precaution for a city with a larger population than London. This could be much bigger than it first seemed.
  • Or someone’s been playing Plague Inc and got paranoid.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The public transport network of Wuhan City (the city with the virus outbreak) has been closed been closed by the government. That seems like quite a dramatic precaution for a city with a larger population than London. This could be much bigger than it first seemed.

I'm getting pretty worried about it. Why are they not telling us what this virus is? Countries around the world are taking big precautions over not letting it through
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • It's like super bad pneumonia according to some doctor on the radio earlier today. It's treatable, it's just a really nasty virus. 

Oh look here's it's wiki, it's been known about since the 60s but I guess it's more fun for the news to act like it's a terrible new disease to get those worried and scared clicks through onto their websites. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Greggs paying up to a £300 bonus to its staff due to the success of its vegan sausage rolls.

Plenty of their staff are on Universal Credit.

Due to benefit rules, Government is taxing their bonus upto 68p in the pound, meaning Greggs staff will be seeing just £75 of that 'bonus'.

Meanwhile, the boss of Sainsbury's is up for a £4M bonus, despite the company's share value falling by 22% over the last year.

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    It's like super bad pneumonia according to some doctor on the radio earlier today. It's treatable, it's just a really nasty virus. 

Oh look here's it's wiki, it's been known about since the 60s but I guess it's more fun for the news to act like it's a terrible new disease to get those worried and scared clicks through onto their websites. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus

I don't think anyone is claiming that corona virus is a new thing. There are many coronavirus strains, including sars. This is a new one though, and it's the first time it's been seen in humans at least.
  • Nothing, seemingly, is getting blocked on Chinese social media and government warnings and numbers are being freely spread - they are being very, very open. Quite possibly because of the fallout and backlash from trying to keep the severity of SARS under wraps.

Every case thus far, even internationally, can be tracked back to Wuhan.

The lethality of this virus doesn’t seem to be as bad as something like MERS, but the reaction to the outbreak is almost certainly so strong for a few reasons:

1. Wanting to be seen to take it seriously after SARS
    2. This is Spring Festival. You cannot overestimate how bad this timing is. Literally hundreds of millions of people have been travelling on various public transport networks over the past few weeks. In terms of transmission opportunity, this is a biggun’. Every bus, every restaurant, every subway train, every plane and airport...all packed with unimaginable numbers of people, shoulder to shoulder.
    3. Wuhan is a major transportation hub. Going from the south up to Nanjing? You go through Wuhan. Going from the east to Xian? Probably go through Wuhan. Every person on or off is a danger.
    4. Wuhan is also an education city. It has several Top 20 universities (Wu Da, Hua Ke, Hua Shi) in it, which means a LOT of students from other provinces. This means every student that leaves Wuhan to go home is a possible means of transmission. Although, most will have already left.
    5. Wuhan is one of the fastest growing cities in China and is the capital of one of the richest provinces. That means high domestic migration.
    6. Wuhan people are highly educated, which means many of the locals actually work in Shenzhen, Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore etc. - like my wife - so when they return to Wuhan they become possible vectors of transmission when they return to work. Better to quarry the city.
    7. Confucian family values mean that family trumps everything. I said in the other thread, despite all this my wife’s mother is still pushing her to return home. It’s Spring Festival after all...it’s infuriating. And yes, this pressure exists even after the city quarantine!
    8. The number of cases now outstrips the number of people who could have feasibly come into contact with the infection at site zero (a seafood market). It seems easier to catch than many other coronaviruses.
    9. Infections and deaths seem to be doubling every couple of days. It needs to be stopped in its tracks.
    10. Despite massive investment and training post-SARS, most clinics and hospitals just aren’t equipped for this kind of outbreak. A lot of early cases at the beginning of the month were seemingly missed.

That’s what I can think of off the top of my head.

In all seriousness, it doesn’t seem THAT bad. It’s just the worst timing, and one of the worst cities for it to happen to. Spring Festival is super important and Wuhan is a monster of a city (lived there for 5 years). I couldn’t imagine a worse combination.
  • As I posted that, I literally got 2 app notifications from Chinese Uber equivalents telling me to stay safe and wear a mask.
  • Take care of yourself Cinty, and lock the missus up.
    Can-of-sprite
  • Remind me whereabouts in the country you stay Cinty? My wee brother is currently home from teaching in Hangzhou for Spring Festival (luckily avoided having to pass through Wuhan on the way over), but I can never wrap my head around just how huge the country is so never have an image of how close he is to other cities.
  • I’m currently on the south coast, in Shenzhen. Just moved here a few months ago from Haikou, which is an island on the south coast. Before that was Wuhan.

It’s a big old country.
  • For reference, I used to live in Xian which was centre-west, but not far west and the trip to Wuhan (which doesn’t look that far away on a map) took about 11-13 hours before the bullet trains were built.
  • Shenzen's near Hong Kong right?
    Stay safe Cinty, those new Corona strains sound nasty.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • hunk wrote:
    Shenzen's near Hong Kong right? Stay safe Cinty, those new Corona strains sound nasty.

Yeah, HK border.
  • Wife has opted to stay here, thankfully. Multiple cities and towns in Hubei in lockdown now. Hopefully the city quarantines work...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    That's good news (about your wife). Hopefully the lock downs are just an overreaction because of the festivities.
  • Yup. That's good news. Stay safe mate.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Will do, thanks all.

In related news, since this news went big a few days back, China has built a new hospital in Wuhan. And no, I don’t mean a massive tent. An actual building. From scratch. In less than a week.

Only in fucking China.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!