Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    If Brexit has taught us one thing, it's that with the right degree of optimism, even the impossible becomes possible
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Even if it could be built it would require motorway at each end. Good luck even getting that done.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    If Brexit has taught us one thing, it's that with the right degree of optimism, and masses of propaganda, even the impossible becomes possible
  • I had no idea over 2% of people with flu were dying

https://7ampodcast.com.au/episodes/what-happens-if-we-dont-stop-coronavirus

Hopefully this isn't aus only.

Good podo for brief updates.

10 min interview, and really good summary and what happens if....

If audio isn't possible, Here's transcript.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Ffs.

Gonna spoiler this because who knows what formatting will do.
    Spoiler:
  • Meh, not to bad. Pretty readable.
  • Cheers for that face, really nice and digestible
    SFV - reddave360
  • Unlike those bats. Amirite?

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I thought the story about it coming from eating bats had been debunked. 1, because Chinese people (at least from that area) don't really eat bat, and 2, some of the earliest cases had never been to the food market where the virus was initially thought to have originated?

They do think that bats are the likely carriers though.
  • Yeah, it has, and podo goes into that.

But I wanted a cheap laugh. You've taken that from Goober. I hope you're happy now.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I am content.
  • So... I shouldn’t be worried ok cool
  • Quite a number of Asians wearing masks in Chinatown atm.

One guy was wearing one on the train to Woolwich tonight; was a bit much really, I thought. Maybe I'm a cunt (I am a cunt).
  • My understanding after listening to that and reading a couple of short articles is that, yes, we want to contain it, because having another virus in the mix is suboptimal, but that it's death rate, and how it can spread aren't so far out of the norm that we'll be in 28 days later any time soon.

Given population sizes in question, it's just mental some of the racist BS that's been going on.

Frankly, by the sounds of things Chinese scientists have been on the fucking ball too.

My bestie is Filipino, but chinese ancestry in there and she looks pretty chinese/Malay. Will be flying back in from Europe soon.

Praying she doesn't cop any of the BS that's been going on out here.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    As I understand it, Chinese authorities reported it to the WHO Dec 31st. From all tests it is thought that the first infections occurred in late November, so symptoms wouldn't have shown until mid December. So in the space of a couple of weeks they had identified the virus and taken steps to contain it, including reporting it. I can't imagine many countries being that on the ball.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Quite a number of Asians wearing masks in Chinatown atm.

One guy was wearing one on the train to Woolwich tonight; was a bit much really, I thought. Maybe I'm a cunt (I am a cunt).

I don't get the big deal on that front.

Been very very common for folks, particularly Asian folks, to wear masks here for years.

And to be frank, if someone else is being overcautious, seems a bit rich for others to be having a crack at them. (not you, there's been reports of outright open verbal abuse of Asian folks here with explicit reference to c-virus)

It's all fucked. People need to think.

• Seen a couple of variations of this meme, but the gist is on point.

1. [Insert western country here] has had a recent outbreak of measles because of anti-vax maybe sit this out with the Chinese bashing.

2. H1n1 originated in the US yet it wasn't called the American virus or American H1n1.
  • Yeah wearing masks isn't a big deal or uncommon, but I definitely saw more than usual last week, was my observation.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm off to Chinatown tomorrow, racism around this is just total nonsense so doing my bit to help out (*)

Spoiler:
  • My god I'm thankful the word 'food' was on the end there.
  • My older brother (not the one who was in China) was insisting tonight that this is some kind of bio-weapon leak and that the number of deaths has been played down by several thousand, but they've been trying to suppress the info. I left shortly afterwards.
  • I hear its aliens and the ghost of JFK.
  • He did once claim that global warming might be because aliens were terra-forming the planet to make it habitable for them, but I couldn't tell whether he was slightly taking the piss.
  • Methinks your bro needs to stay the fuck away from the internet.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Someone at work was trying to convince me that the number of infections, and the infection rate, so closely match some mathematical model on infection rates that it must be fake numbers. My argument, that it's maybe just a very good model, seemed to fall on deaf ears.
  • g.man wrote:
    Methinks your bro needs to stay the fuck away from the internet.

Aye, too many late nights on YouTube coupled with the years of weed has turned his brain fucking upside-down. He gets very confrontational when challenged about any of it though, so I just nod along.

• nick_md wrote:
    Yeah wearing masks isn't a big deal or uncommon, but I definitely saw more than usual last week, was my observation.

Fair dos.

Tbh, the only days the masks thing was kinda surreal here was when we were copping smoke from the fires. Because a not small percentage of everyone was wearing a mask.

Combined with the actual smoke, which was thick and heavy and from another fucking state in a very large country, it was quite a tangible thing.
  • https://twitter.com/iMusing/status/1226954671614386176?s=19

45 minutes to go.

"Massive decision today. The High Court [asking] itself whether First Nations People have inherent citizenship - and therefore the government can not deport Kamilaroi man Daniel Love and Gunggari man Brendan Thoms."
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Deport them to where?
  • Funkstain wrote:
    So... I shouldn’t be worried ok cool

I missed the original question you posed, sorry. But yeah, try not to worry too much. The over-reaction is mainly due to a few things:

1. New strain, can mutate - better safe than sorry
    2. They dropped the ball on SARS and caught shit for it
    3. There were whistleblowers who were ignored, and I think they wanted to be shown to be taking action

But the biggie...

During spring festival, one single train station near me sees 3 million passengers. Put simply, Spring Festival is a super spreading nightmare. You have hundreds of millions of people cramped together at the same tome, travelling everywhere, families shoulder to shoulder in restaurants. Add in a 2 week incubation window and you do, genuinely, have a recipe for disaster. It’s still a nasty bug and the pressure on hospitals if it spread into the millions or tens of millions could be immense.

Then add in the fact that human-to-human transmission seemed not only possible, but common. Originally it was just people who had been to that market, but once the numbers reached the thousands it became clear that wasn’t the case.

Hubei is a major hub and is once of the worst places to have an outbreak - loads of international business, lots of migrant workers, and major high-speed rail lines go through there. The main high speed trains from the west to places like Nanjing and Shanghai? They go through Wuhan.

So, I don’t think it’s completely unreasonable, although it does seem a bit extreme given the strength of the virus. I think if this mad happened mid-summer, for example, the place wouldn’t be on lockdown. But it’s impossible to overestimate how bad this timing was.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!