• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    True.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Maybe. But we will never know because a bunch of cunts started rioting justifying the riot police being brought in. This is why peaceful process  is so powerful, it shows up the police/government. The reaction to last night in Bristol from the general public will be night and day compared to the reaction to the vigil last week.
    On one hand, that's a specific narrative of the situation - people just start rioting suddenly and the riot police have to intervene. Maybe it's more nuanced than that?

On the other hand, do you really expect a protest movement comprised of angry people fighting for basic civil liberties to run smoothly, without the occasional flare up? That's impossible. Especially with how confrontational the police have been. Especially when peaceful protest has such a poor recent success rate.

In this case, you are the general public, and it's up to you to see beyond the headlines and voice support for the cause against those focusing on the 'rioters'. I mean, it's not exactly a terror campaign, is it?

I don't mean just you either, it's an attitude I've seen too much the last couple of days, often from people who seem more incensed by the tone of protests than the policies being protested.
  • And a quick March towards Tory governments ever since!

After Yoss march comment above.
  • I'll say this, if I get a bill for 40 grand through my letterbox if the cladding on my block of flats needs fixing off the back of these Tory fucking cunts voting down the amendment to the fire safety bill to make building owners and the manufacturers responsible for the costs, you won't see any peaceful protesting from me.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Absolute cunts. If they won't make the twats who put it there in the first place pay, then the Government must shoulder all costs

If Keith wants the votes of all the people living in these flats he'd promise to do that, and to expedite the replacement of all of them.
  • Don't worry, there'll be plenty of room for Kier on the guillotine as well at the rate he's fannying about at trying to be the kind of Labour leader Tory voters might want to vote for.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'm fine with protestors attacking anything with a stake in Bad. If you smash an empty bookie's or bank's windows or cosplay Assault on Precinct 13*, that's obviously very different to trashing a regular cafe or cornershop.

*I'll only join in if someone brings a stereo and plays the theme.
  • There’s a container ship badly parked in the Suez Canal, blocking the entire thing. Egypt has sent every available tugboat to try and shift it, to no avail. It’s 400 metres long and it’s parked like a BMW in a disabled bay. That tiny speck of a thing at its front end is a giant digger trying to literally dig it out of the bank.

ExMOMClVoAkMTpa.jpg

This is likely to have knock-on effects on global trade in, well, everything. The Suez Canal has to keep ships flowing or things just don’t get delivered around the world. Oil prices will go up, for starters.
  • Theres ya PS5s.
  • Man maybe it’s full of BMWs and they all aligned themselves into their natural cock direction creating a macro effect like how a magnet works.
  • Bjbdpu0.gif
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • That gif’s getting a lot of use on shipping Twitter today.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Spot on
  • That gif is infinitely amusing. While much of the movie has aged terribley that remains gold.
  • Right up there with the Two Ronnies’ fork handles sketch and Monty Python’s argument for me.
  • How does that even happen?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The current.
  • The boat?
    I'm guessing inertia. Thats a really narrow straight for that boat. A fuck up would be difficult to correct. Possibly a lower than normal water level?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Hydrodynamics.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    "Gust of wind" according to the Graun.

You'd guess a moderately sized gust, given the size of the thing...

It's it still there? Not totally clear... Regardless, the on-ship footage is giving me strong COD MW vibes...
  • Roujin wrote:
    I'll say this, if I get a bill for 40 grand through my letterbox if the cladding on my block of flats needs fixing off the back of these Tory fucking cunts voting down the amendment to the fire safety bill to make building owners and the manufacturers responsible for the costs, you won't see any peaceful protesting from me.
    On one hand I really don’t get this but in the other of course I do, because money. 
    But if I bought a flat and it has dangerous material on it surely the builder of that flat sold me something illegally?
    Why the duck should I be paying for new cladding.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Was there ever a time where the Tories had the choice between coming down in favour of the rich or the poor and they chose the latter? That's an actual question.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    I'll say this, if I get a bill for 40 grand through my letterbox if the cladding on my block of flats needs fixing off the back of these Tory fucking cunts voting down the amendment to the fire safety bill to make building owners and the manufacturers responsible for the costs, you won't see any peaceful protesting from me.
    On one hand I really don’t get this but in the other of course I do, because money.  But if I bought a flat and it has dangerous material on it surely the builder of that flat sold me something illegally? Why the duck should I be paying for new cladding.

Why indeed? If your car has a fault, it is recalled and fixed by the manufacturer.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with companies like Kingspan being tory party donors, and the number of MPs who sit on freehold management company boards, or have investments in the companies who would be negatively affected if they were required to correct their mistakes. 

These are buildings where architects select materials, which are certified by privatised inspection boards, which are built by contractors who then value engineer jobs by cheaping out as much as possible on every product they can manage to save costs during construction and generate more profits, which are then inspected and signed off by local authorities. I'm not sure that after that chain of events, it is somehow down to the leaseholders who have been missold their property to pay for the works for the building owner.
  • I'll just sit quietly outside Westminster until the MPs realise their mistake and change the bill back to have the amendment the lords (how the fuck has it come to the point where these hereditary bastards are seemingly always the ones trying to protect the public) made put back in.
  • I’ve got friends in Glasgow who can’t move house because their block of flats has flammable cladding. Can’t sell because it’s unsafe. Can’t rent it out because it’s unsafe. But it’s FINE for them to carry on living in it. Despite it being unsafe.

They petitioned their factors to have the cladding replaced. The factors said it had to be put to a vote across all residents. Only if more than two thirds agreed to the cost would it get done. Of course, most of the building is owned by absentee landlords, so the vote came back ‘no’.
  • Well we won't get our survey until sometime later this year at the earliest, we're crossing our fingers because we have brick facing rather than cladding panels, but the insulation boards behind them are still a concern. 

In the meantime, I'm lucky this building is owned by a housing association and not a private company I guess because if they do come around with the bill I'll tell them I can't afford to pay it and they won't drag me through the courts for it with any great urgency. 

It sucks though, because I would like to buy more equity in my flat, but I can't because I need the certificate to say the building isn't a flammable death trap and because there are so many buildings, and only a few surveyors who are qualified to do the inspections, the waiting list is stupid. Other people in the block want to move out, and they're stuck because you can't get a mortgage unless the building has the certificate. So the building owners get to cream off extra rent from everyone while they drag their feet getting the surveys done because we can't increase our mortgage amounts and decrease our rental amounts.
  • It’s almost as though the only people getting anything out of this situation are *checks notes* landlords. Yep, sounds like standard Tory policy to me.
  • There’s a proper, authoritative report on the stuck ship in the Suez Canal here: https://www.vesselfinder.com/news/20456-Suez-Canal-Blocked-by-Huge-container-ship-Ever-Given

Worth a quick read, now that everybody from The Guardian to Vice are weighing in with their hilarious takes.

Also worth a gander, this video from VesselFinder that tracks the ship’s pre-crash movements as it actually really genuinely does draw a giant cock and balls in the ocean for the global tracking app:
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/26/major-general-jailed-21-months-dorset-boarding-school-fee-fraud

How is annual fee of £22,500 + £37,000 for over a year "almost £50,000"? The maths is annoying me. Tax??

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!