Current Affairs
  • From what I have read the peaceful protesters drifted off as the evening came in and the ones that remained started getting violent.
  • I'm not for the violence, but I don't understand what people think is going to happen. People in this country are strongly opposed to an authoritarian government, as they are right to be. Authoritarian government won't listen to peaceful protests in the first place, so what course of action is there for the public? Just stand around 2m apart with masks on asking nicely for these cunts to not take away their right to protest?

They aren't helped by the fact that last week a load of women who were stood around 2m apart with their masks on trying to hold a vigil for a woman murdered by a police officer were subsequently kettled and arrested by the same police force.

Then there were the stastics on domestic abuse and other criminal investigations around serving officers which came out.

If you are angry that people have resorted to violent protests but you aren't fucking incandescent at the shameless attempt to prevent the known civil unrest from the handling of the pandemic response, not to mention the effects of brexit kicking in when this is all over, as well as the closed ranks, protect your own, do as I say not as I do behaviour from the police then I dunno what to say, enjoy your boot leather I guess because you're going to be licking a lot of it for the next 4 years at least.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Can be angry at both.
  • I really loathe the idea that protest is only acceptable until it inconveniences anyone. imagine the state of class, race or gender struggle had that always been the case. 'Ask nicely and if the answer is no  forget about it and move on'

edit- poor wording on my part. I guess it was actually always the case, but people didn't listen.
  • I think you’re right in general but I think inconveniencing can be done non violently too.

In this case where the government needs a line that even peaceful protests can be dangerous to justify ridiculous jail terms rocking up to a peaceful protest and causing a ruckus is premium grade arrogance and pure masturbation imo.
  • Bang em up. Idiotic twats. Not only undermining their own cause but, through giving the government pretext to remove protest, undermining any other protest-able cause for the foreseeable future. 

There was one statue pushed over and the right have spent nearly a year milking that. What are they going to do with this?
  • It would probably be stupid paranoia to wonder whether the violent side of the protest was deliberately stoked by a government hoping to push through dictatorial controls on protesting. Probably.
  • All people seem to have been able to do about anything structurally dire in recent years is protest marches, and have made slim to no difference. I don't really understand why this admin is now alarmed by them, but I guess if you're taking part hence you can at least feel a bit more impactful than before? It's very satisfying to annoy the right people.
  • Because they suspect they won't be peaceful marches for much longer.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • So it goes. If a previously tolerated thing becomes suddenly and conspicuously less so, it does make the public's next course of action pretty unambiguous - keep doing the thing.
  • Yep. Take the pandemic response, effects of brexit, continuing widening of the wealth and equality gaps, failure to address environmental changes, failure to address to the housing shortage, failure of wages to keep up with inflation and mix it all with the bare faced cronyism, lying and sleaze of the current government and its not hard to imagine at least one group of people who would be sufficiently angry about not being heard to escalate from peaceful protest to real civil disobedience.
  • On other hand, a narrowing of conditions such that previously benign activities becomes all Dangerous again is pretty depressing and suggests we were never going to and will never come up with more effective activism tactics than what we were already doing.
  • I think asking people to come up with new forms of activism is a bit of a steep request tbh.

People have the right to protest, if they protest for a just cause and are ignored, what are they supposed to do if conditions continue to remain the same? Keep peacefully protesting and being ignored forever?

Stuff like universal suffrage and civil rights in the USA all required more than peaceful protest before the governments of the day finally did the right thing. I see no difference in our current government to those of the past.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    It would probably be stupid paranoia to wonder whether the violent side of the protest was deliberately stoked by a government hoping to push through dictatorial controls on protesting. Probably.

Yerp
    b0r1s wrote:
    Erm that’s kinda playing into govs hands no? There’ll be more support for this shit heap of a bill now. Tin foil hat part of me thinks who instigated the violence?
  • Roujin wrote:
    I think asking people to come up with new forms of activism is a bit of a steep request tbh.

I don’t think it works like that. It’s not like there’s a think tank that does a brain storm for best protests.

The classic protests come from active pinching of norms - sitting in a place the rules say you ought not, blocking the production of coal, making your own salt so that tax revenue is busted, throwing tea into the sea. These are protests that work because they pinch on people in a material way.

The thing that happens is that people get a sense of what will work and do that.

Marching Protests do not - as a rule - do this.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Tin foil hat part of me thinks who instigated the violence?

I think the tactical decision to send in the riot police always has the potential to ignite a riot where there otherwise wouldn’t have been one.
  • Likewise starting a riot tends to result in the tactical decision to send in the riot police.
  • I think the riot police were going to go in regardless of the peacefulness of the protest.  
    Yeah, there will be those who want to make trouble and will escalate things. 
    But the main thing is the Tories want to ban any protest, regardless of whether it is peaceful, so the riot police would be sent in to break things up in future anyways.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Maybe. But we will never know because a bunch of cunts started rioting justifying the riot police being brought in.
    This is why peaceful process  is so powerful, it shows up the police/government.

The reaction to last night in Bristol from the general public will be night and day compared to the reaction to the vigil last week.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kinetic events such as marches will not make a difference. You have to hit them where it hurts.

Marches and protest only hurt the protestors or the local public who are inconvenienced by them.

The only real alternative is to start changing the message and the government's image which threatens votes. That's online nowadays.

The online message needs to move away from just criticising MPs' empty words and instead provide evidence of their deeds , how they vote in bills etc. The data is there but needs to be well presented. And then those empty words can be shown in the proper context.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The use of marches and peaceful protest as far as I see it is it forces the discussion.
    They get reported on the news and people start talking.

That doesn't always lead to action or success but they can do. The message normally needs to be broader than a single parliamentary bill though.

Looking at the BLM marches last year I think they did make a difference despite the occasional violent surges. They made people listen, its not job done by any means but the gears turned another tooth in the right direction.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    They have pretty short half life though. Constant pressure is required to invoke any meaningful change.
  • I would agree with that. They are basically a counter to the mess that is out news media.

Public opinion in the UK is malleable but powerful.
  • Kick up enough of a stink and the media must report it but handing home a negative angle will ensure any good will backfires.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    The online message needs to move away from just criticising MPs' empty words and instead provide evidence of their deeds , how they vote in bills etc. The data is there but needs to be well presented. And then those empty words can be shown in the proper context.

Providing evidence isn’t nearly enough, this has been shown time and time again.

https://theconversation.com/why-facts-alone-dont-change-minds-in-our-big-public-debates-25094
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Facts alone won't. Very true. I've found myself in that situation in work. Haven't read that piece yet but I will.

How it's delivered is more important. Medium is the message and all that. Too many preachy types in non-conformist attire shouting out the truth won't get anywhere.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t know if it’s entirely ineffective, large numbers of people publicly expressing a viewpoint might make it feel safer and easier for others to come around to that viewpoint, but I have no idea if that ever has been, or even could be quantified.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think it needs to be part of an overall campaign for maximum effect. I'm sure there are models that can take numbers in a protest, its location, weather etc and arrive at a population's feelings on an issue. And I'm equally sure that governments use them.

I mean look at the huge anti-Iraq war protests. Still jumped in with both feet.

As far as I can see the election cycle + the working majority dictates the possibly of affecting change.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, they definitely aren’t the answer in and of themselves, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have any role to play.

And attitudes towards the Iraq war changed pretty quickly, the U.K. public was broadly in favour when it kicked off, despite those huge protests. That didn’t last long, and those protests may have helped with that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!