regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    To put that into perspective I believe that is only second to the Shilpa Shetty racism issue.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That is a lot.

I suspect that the storming off was triggered by that storm brewing rather than anything else.
  • Woah.
    Yeah ok that is a hell of a lot of complaints.
  • I don't suppose the cunt's ever piped up about anything without carefully checking which way the wind is blowing first
  • No, he's been stoking the anti-woke, anti-cancel culture stove for some time and will shortly announce he's joining GoebBels news or whatever hell-spawned, demon-financed "news" channel is launching soon
  • I mean, heaven forbid that outspoken gobshites are "cancelled" when people speak up and tell them that their gobs are full of shite.
  • Regular spot on sky Oz guaranteed.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I hope ITV also cancel that rancid Piers Morgan's Life Stories as well.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I expect some of you will find this interesting:

https://blog.tjcx.me/p/new-york-times-ab-testing
  • Cheers. Will read on lunch break.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Imagine Morgan, Farage and Trump all on one channel....
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Trump is at least entertaining despite everything.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ll enjoy the gravitas of Morgan Freeman too
  • Thorntons is gone. All of the shops wont be reopening. No major loss to the high street. As a brand they screwed themselves years ago when they were taken over and went for mass market crap chocolate and left behind what made them thorntons.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Thorntons is gone. All of the shops wont be reopening. No major loss to the high street. As a brand they screwed themselves years ago when they were taken over and went for mass market crap chocolate and left behind what made them thorntons.

Yeah - going down market may have got them a splurge initially but long term they lost what was different about them.
  • Thorntons were a massive employer in Derby back when I was at uni there. It was an easy one for part time jobs for students – go pack chocolates at the Thorntons factory on your days off.
  • davyK wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Thorntons is gone. All of the shops wont be reopening. No major loss to the high street. As a brand they screwed themselves years ago when they were taken over and went for mass market crap chocolate and left behind what made them thorntons.

Yeah - going down market may have got them a splurge initially but long term they lost what was different about them.

Hotel Chocolat basically filled the gap that Thotntons left in the market for a boutique chocolate shop.

Ferrero paid £112mil for thorntons in 2015. Ouch

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jun/22/thorntons-bought-by-ferrero-rocher-for-112m-pounds
  • It seems like thorntons is making extra online though so perhaps they think it’s not worth bothering owning shops. They already were down to only 60 shops.
  • Hasn’t Thorntons always been down market?  HC sell a totally different type of product than these guys have ever bothered with, haven’t they?  It’s not somewhere I’ve ever bothered with because i always just presumed it wasn’t so good but now I’m hearing talk of how it’s only recently gone downhill and i don’t know where i stand anymore.  Did it genuinely used to be of a similar quality to Hotel Choc?
  • I think it might have been the highest class when the next best was Woolworths pick and mix then HC upped the game of high street chocolate and whatever you get from John Lewis.

Thornton’s always has its personalised stuff but even then it looks naff.
  • I read the other day that since the start of the pandemic there had been 17,532 high st chain stores had closed for good.

Thats without Thornton's 61 stores or any independent non-chain stores.

About 7000 new stores opened. I suspect many of these would have been preplanned before the pandemic hit.

So 10,000 less chain stores than 2019. Almost certainly more to come. John Lewis are looking to close more stores than previously announced for example.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hasn’t Thorntons always been down market?  HC sell a totally different type of product than these guys have ever bothered with, haven’t they?  It’s not somewhere I’ve ever bothered with because i always just presumed it wasn’t so good but now I’m hearing talk of how it’s only recently gone downhill and i don’t know where i stand anymore.  Did it genuinely used to be of a similar quality to Hotel Choc?

Not sure if it was Hotel Choc level but at one time it was definitely higher rated. I'm talking maybe 20+ years ago. A box of Thornton's chocolates would have been a notch above then norm. I can remember their products first appearing on Tesco's shelves and thinking that was another move down the ladder.

A great many brands have slid of course. Milk Tray , Dairy Box, Black Magic et al used to be a real treat but they're not what they were either. Of course they have got cheaper too. They all taste the same now and are all pretty insipid lowest common denominator now. A race to the bottom. :(
  • My instinct is that they were all shit but the eighties was where these started so they felt special.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. Possibly. Those choc box brands I mentioned have been around far longer than that though. They go back to the 60s and we have lost some. Older badgers may remember a box called Weekend that really was very different.

Of course memory is a poor thing but I can remember getting an occasional Milk Tray bar which consisted of 6 different sweets fused together by chocolate to form a bar. It was heavenly - but maybe because it was a treat. 

Caramel and soft centres used to string like a pizza topping. Not any more. They were coloured to match the flavour too - probably by a now banned additive - but who cares? :)

But I still say that each sweet really was different. You can barely notice the difference between sweets in the box or one brand of box from another.

A Milk Tray Easter Egg was an event too - when you opened it (it was in 2 halves - not the fused egg you get now) one half contained a sweet tray - a la chocolate box, fashioned to fit snugly into the egg halve, with a selection of Milk Tray sweets. Came complete with a legend to identify them. Eggs were expensive then though - they are pretty cheap now.

Hotel Chocolate is great though. :)

Toblerone is one of the few things that still tastes the same as I remember. Kit Kat passes that test too but I can't think of anything else.
  • Weekend were fucking rank.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. It was an oddity - there were some jelly sweets in there if I remember?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    e76f46bb1fa9f779f79a2c2023feeb2e.jpg
  • christ there's a collection of dad sweets
  • My dad would have thrown them in the bin.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!