There needs to be a new football series
  • davyK wrote:
    I find them somewhat below pinball and above Peggle re sense of control. Sadly they don't have the charm factor that those games do. I do think the character-based games like the Mario and Sega 5-a-side ones can be fun though.

I agree with this. Mario Smash Football on the GC is the only game that has left me unable to breathe after 5 minutes of non-stop bodychecks in extra time/sudden death. Absolutely hilarious.

Also Sega Soccer Slam was made by the people behind Mario Smash Football, so that might be awesome too.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I think it's entirely possible to write a great football game, but not in a fashion that would win over fans of football games until it was too late.

Boxing has been negatively affected for the same reason: most people want a recreation of what they see on TV, not a recreation of participation.
  • I've done something horrible.

I bought fifa on Wii u. The demo was enjoyable and remarkably had a very high framerate which was a pleasant surprise.

I hope one day we can see a return to simple but authentic arcade type experiences though. Too bad that won't likely happen with two series dominating the market.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Was chatting with a Brazilian lad today about football player naming conventions, and apparently it's just an extension of an incredibly normal societal convention there of giving everyone (often deliberately belittling) nicknames regardless of the formality of a context, usually because their passport names can get a bit longer than is practical. I think that's kind of awesome.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Monsieur Jeroboam Brooks de Lima.
  • What's Portuguese for "Slack"
  • Brooks wrote:
    What's Portuguese for "Slack"

Maicon?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Maicontent.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Google says 'negligente'. Sounds like a Pacino.

Relaxado Descuidado.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    The Forum Baby of Mâicon
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Escape wrote:
    Google says 'negligente'. Sounds like a Pacino.

Relaxado Descuidado.

Neglige wouldn't get the gig?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Not with Relaxado Descuidado in town. Best bandit.
  • The best football game is still ISS2000. It has perfect balancing between sim and arcade while not allowing cheat goals (what my friends and I call sweet spots where you can score every time). Although there are one or two the difficulty in getting into those positions to start with warrants being able to try to execute them. Finding them will also take you years.

You never feel cheated but be warned the keepers are pretty amazing (at both ends)

It has a career mode and stats galore. Loads of options to edit.

No one has managed to show me a football game anywhere near as good as it.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • ISS 2000? What's that on? 64 eh.

Was ISS 2 any good?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    ISS was good.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Yes it's on the 64. Pisses on iss64 and iss98. Iss2 was a step back.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Piss iss iss... iss.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Gonzo wrote:
    Go play football ye fat fucks

We're (mostly) British, we don't know how.
  • I loved ISS 98 on the ps1
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I played in a three-sided football match last week. Was excellent fun. We won, largely due to making the other two teams hate each other.
  • So how different are ISS 2 and ISS3 on gamecube? I see both are cheap but wondering if there is any comparison between the two and ISS Pro 98?
  • I think football games are done and dusted to be honest. Not that the games arent good or wont sell loads (its a popular sport, or so I've heard) but its gotten to the point where things are changed and added just for the press release. Look at the latest one for PES 2015 here. Its the same old same old. Side on pitch play (optional other views but the game cant cope with that), "realistic" physics and stats ba-blah-ba-blah. FIFA and PES have been claiming this with each new version since the 360 and ps3 dropped.

The thing is, If you take away the HD graphics and online aspect, I reckon FIFA 14 and PES 14 would probably run, gameplay-wise, just fine on ps2/xbox (even the online might be possible). So its not tech thats holding the games back. I think its just they cant change too drastically or they will alienate the fan base. So the gameplay is never going to evolve. The only real change I can think of has been the Be the player thing which is ok but not likely to replace the game and will nearly always feel like a side show to the main game.

So at this point its really just a case of picking your favourite version. I have PES 2014 on my ps3 and its a decent enough game of football. Thing is, I still prefer the gameplay of PES 2006 from the ps2 but I'm not sure if thats because it is actually a better game or that I spent so long playing that one that I am fully in tune with how it works, warts and all. I think most footie-game players find this point with their preferred title.

I dont think anyone else will want to enter the field but I do wish someone went for a semi-realistic arcade footie game over xbox live/psn using made up teams a-la sensible soccer. I'm all for realism but we have that with both FIFA and PES (or at least, attempted). Give me something which encourages flair and skill in attack. Thats my own personnel taste, but I think it is the type of game missing from the market right now. And feck it, try a different perspective. Top down, Isometric and behind the player have all produced decent games in the paste, maybe they could again if they were the focal point.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Bring back Janco Tiano, Brian Plank, and Matt Webster.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Five a side, everyone controls a player each with a stamina bar similar to Dark Souls so you can't sprint all over the shop for the entire game. I'd play that.
  • I would be up for a 5 a side SIM.
    You could have bonus modifiers like calling your big brother and his mates to show up and intimidate the opposition.
  • Five a side, everyone controls a player each with a stamina bar similar to Dark Souls so you can't sprint all over the shop for the entire game. I'd play that.

That sounds great and not only because you mentioned Dark Souls.

• Couldn't agree more with the OP.

Last FIFA I bought was 98 and the last PES was 4. Same shit every year.

Think about how many footy games were about in the 90s, so much choice. Two games to choose from is very poor, especially when they're pretty much aiming for the same thing.

I think its a sign of things to come regarding the industry as a whole. More and more publishers are closing down, only the big ones will be left soon. MS, EA or Activision will probably buy Capcom soon, that'll be a very sad day.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yep, there are some genres (series too) which are basically becoming consolidated under one or two publishers, rarely any more than that and it is completely stagnating any kind of diversity in play styles and killing off quality.

You know what, fuck it. I'm going to roll the dice on ISS 2. It's only $10. I  liked the PS2 version back in the day, as that served a nice interlude between ISS Pro 98 and PES3.

If ISS on GC is unplayable then I'll just have to go find PES 3 which was my favourite. Only reason why not doing that first is that I have no PS2 on hand, but I do have the GC.
  • It is unplayable
  • So, better than pes14.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!