Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Cracking games there Ram, solid as a rock.

Still no diving header but there were a few missed open goals to lol about. Great fun, the players have a nice momentum about them, like it's actually a bloke running about instead of a few pixels. Top work.
  • Cheers Sparky, and Paul and Kerlon for playing too.

I'm sure i'll be pestering you all for another game at the weekend, while during the week I'll try to put a few more tweaks and improvements in place.  below are the 'next' things i plan on working on, along with a couple of suggestions that i'll open up for discussion just to get the thoughts of the players!

fixes to do:
    update keeper AI to deal with 'lobs' better.
    fix the bit in singles mode where it says 'winner is player number' instead of the actual player name.
    fix the bit when you switch to singles after team mode and the keeper starts the game by kicking the ball in his own goal.
    when players do a diving header stop them following the ball once they're in the air.
    when people use cerrilic characters for their player name and it causes a crash!

things i'll eventually do some time:
    allow people to choose their own player colours...
    refresh the 'pitch' graphics.
    refresh the keeper sprites.
    refresh the menu screen.
    some kind of in game chat/message system.

suggestions/ideas:
    add a 'wild' shot if shots are charged up for too long.
    add a sprint along with an nba jam style stamina gauge.
    strong player is too strong.

any comments or additions to the above are more than welcome.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • PES is amazing this year, in my opinion. Played the PS4 demo extensively at Gamescom, really enjoyed it. Played probably 10-15hours of the demo on PS3. Just think it harks back to the years when you could "do what you want" with the game. Want to chuck long balls up to strikers? Yep. Sit deep and counter attack? Uh huh. Pass the opposition to death? You betcha. 

Sampled the FIFA15 demo first just because HYPE and wow. That game is... well, I suppose it's like COD in that it's for the masses. Does what it says on the tin but I could be playing so much more. Not for me.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    refresh the keeper sprites.

Heh! We'll miss the originals...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • From a quick flick through this thread, there wasn't nearly enough This is Football love.  Perhaps why the series didn't last.

On Friday my mate and I will be playing FIFA for 24 hours straight.  You really begin to see through the mechanics of that game after the seventh or eight hour.

I might take another look at PES after that...
  • Football games were better when they didn't have proper names for the players. Van nistelrood, sheerer etc
  • refresh the keeper sprites.
    Heh! We'll miss the originals...
    i'll be sure that they keep their flat-caps...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    New PES is reviewing well, despite a pretty big flaw in that everything except one touch passing has a weird lag. Sounds pretty game breaking to me, I'm fucking tired of feeling like I'm wrestling with the engine instead of controlling a player.
  • you fancy a game of TBG on Sunday night?  Anyone else is welcome too!
    i've been really busy with work, so haven't worked on it for the last week or so, which is why no one got hassled last weekend, but if people fancy a game anyway...?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yes, 9 on Sunday again? The diving header will be mine.

Is there a demo for PES?
  • If I'm free I'll be up for a game.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Sweet! I won't be last pick this time!
  • 9 sounds good to me.

Great to have The Daddy on board too...unless he thought we mean playing PES of course...
  • Nah man, I'm all about the beautiful game. And if anyone fancies a game of swos on xbox let me know, I'll buy another gold sub to play that.
  • Excellent.  I'll start rounding up some other players.
  • Is there a demo for PES?
    Yup, it's been up for quite a while.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Is there a demo for PES?
    Yup, it's been up for quite a while.

Game arrived yesterday. Shaping up to be very interesting, plays "smoother" than the demo IMO. Only had time for one game and some training last night, 2-2 draw with those mackems. Computer was surprisingly adept on the 4th out of 6 difficulty. Know that Paul has been bitten in the past so I'll try to collate some thoughts by the end of the weekend.
  • are you on 'next gen'? just read the eurogamer review, which sounds promising (though then don't the reviews always?) but i don't recall the PS3 demo feeling much different to previous years...wondering if there might be a difference between last/new gen versions beyond just graphical polish?
  • Well, I made a big decision today. I had a couple of games to trade in, including FIFA 14. I decided to also include FIFA 15, and used the credit to get PES 2015. My first impressions are... mixed. Very mixed.

It certainly plays a very different game of football. It looks a much more considered approach. The rational part of my brain is telling me this is a good thing, but I have to admit the football videogame playing part of my brain is having difficulty retuning. While FIFA makes it way too easy to play astonishingly attractive football, PES is making it really very hard.

There's one thing you can say about EA, they know how to do presentation. Boy-oh-boy is PES rough once you go beyond the top level menu. I can cope with the prospect of renaming teams, managers and stadiums (although sticking the generic names on the badges is a stubborn way to make sure you'll never forget it's not licensed) but I cannot for the life of me believe that so much of the game uses that crude-ass text so popular in Japanese game menus. Compared to FIFA's slick team management, this is ugly. Really ugly. It actually makes it harder to see what you're doing. Thank fuck there are help screens everywhere telling you what everything means, because it needs it. It's hard to imagine a more obfuscated tactics menu.

There are a couple of frustrations with in-game presentation, too. That you end up with the user controlled replay mode every time you score a goal grates somewhat, especially since the camera is stuck to the feckin floor.

So... yeah. If I can recalibrate my brain to the game of football it plays, then the actual gameplay should be good. Hopefully even fun (I can't say it has been so far). I just find it hard to believe that a game can be this badly presented. The top level menu is so promising, but it's the only bit that feels like it's had any time spent on it. Fingers crossed.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Best of luck to you brave Guinea pigs. In my experience, there's a sweet spot where you get your head around the game and enjoy it before the flaws are all you can see.

Hope you can stay in that sweet spot, updates please.
  • The demo on the PS4 wasn't very promising but they're always bad. The menus looked like the settings menu on a mid noughties hd ready tv.
  • Something is beginning to click.  This, btw, is not indicative of the types of goals I've seen in this game. Nevertheless, I was pleased.

• Sparky and thedaddy, are you still fit to play this evening?
    Anyone else interested?
  • What time? What're the instructions?
  • Try to have everyone on to start at 9pm, I should be on a bit beforehand and will have a game server up and running.
    There are some instructions in the game menu, plus you can play offline if u wanted to get a qucik practice for the controls.
    Buttons (on 360 joypad) are X to shoot/diving header (hold to charge up and shoot on release), A for quick pass (aim joypad towards player u want to pass to and tap button), B for chip/slide (hold to charge up)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm still in. See you at 9.
  • Cool. I'll do my best to get on. Might depend on the boy. He's hard work between tea time and midnight so I might be busy.
  • I understand that...you can just drop in/out of games so don't worry about being a bit late or if you need to dissappear suddenly, but if you're busy with the boy then you're busy! ;)
  • That was good classic fun. Reminded me a bit of Empire Soccer. 

I can't score. How do you score? Think I got accidental ones at both ends.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Diving headers should score double. In which case we won comfortably.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!