Mass Effect Universe (Spoilers)
  • The first definitely would need a remaster, the second and third would be fine with just a tech lick of paint.
  • And a complete rewrite on the ending.
  • I was never that fussed by the ending, it wasn't great but I didnt really care.
    They did make some changes didnt they?
  • I can’t even properly remember tbh. The original one was so threadbare that, I think, it wasn’t even clear what had happened. Like you weren’t even sure if you’d saved the galaxy or killed everyone or what. They patched in a few additional scenes a month or two later.

I wasn’t altogether serious. It was a standard video game ending. But given the interactivity of the 100 odd hours of story previous to that, that should be the time where the constraints come off. Where all your choices and actions dovetail into a range of different outcomes. 2 did this. 3 narrowed down right at the end so that everyone got more or less the same outcome. Smacked of a rush job.
  • I’ve got quite a few probs with 3 actually. Main one is that I just didn’t enjoy fighting the reapers. They were the worst enemies through the whole trilogy, and 3 was a reaper war so just not as good. Certainly had its moments though.
  • monkey wrote:
    I can’t even properly remember tbh. The original one was so threadbare that, I think, it wasn’t even clear what had happened. Like you weren’t even sure if you’d saved the galaxy or killed everyone or what. They patched in a few additional scenes a month or two later.

I wasn’t altogether serious. It was a standard video game ending. But given the interactivity of the 100 odd hours of story previous to that, that should be the time where the constraints come off. Where all your choices and actions dovetail into a range of different outcomes. 2 did this. 3 narrowed down right at the end so that everyone got more or less the same outcome. Smacked of a rush job.

I thought the ending was pants, it's fine to say it.

Personally I think story wise, the original was the most epic and would be the one that benefits most from a remake. A remake with the ME3 shooting and combo mechanic, please. I'd buy that, day 1.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I loved the Mako bits so much in ME1 that Id be a little scared going back to play them now.
    When I played it back in the day I was in college, I had my xbox set up in my room and would play with headphones on, the lights out and sometimes a little bit of wacky tobaccy. Man those were the days. I just loved the feeling of utter isolation in the Mako sections. But yeah, I bet they don't hold up now :(
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    If they get rid of planet scanning then the remaster is dead to me.
  • I loved the Mako bits so much in ME1 that Id be a little scared going back to play them now.
    When I played it back in the day I was in college, I had my xbox set up in my room and would play with headphones on, the lights out and sometimes a little bit of wacky tobaccy. Man those were the days. I just loved the feeling of utter isolation in the Mako sections. But yeah, I bet they don't hold up now :(

I also never had an issue with the Mako bits, but have not looked at it since finishing it all those years ago
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    First Mass Effect is best Mass Effect. Second game made some undeniable improvements to gameplay mechanics and had some set piece belters, but lost some of the scale and ambition the first game had. Third game was a bit of a disappointment after the greatness of the first two, regardless of how it ended. Overall it’s still a fantastic game trilogy, even if it is a little uneven. I played it all through back to back about three years ago, so I don’t know if I’m quite ready to dive back in. I suppose it might depend on the effort that’s been applied to the remasters. Either way it’ll be difficult to ignore for too long. Where’s my Tali at?
    Get schwifty.
  • I think your in the minority there raiziel, though each to their own. ME2 is widely considered a mastepiece and the best of the trilogy.

Boris@ i hated planet scanning and had forgotten all about it.

Superfly@ those vistas and sense of isolation were awesome but the mako did my nut in. No mako bitsbin ME2 and thats the best one. Probably a correlation there.
  • Raiziel is right - first game best game. Also Tali best girl.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I can understand why people say the first one is the best one. If you do a 100% playthrough of ME1 it's really weighed down by the crap side content and obviously the gameplay was improved in later instalments but it had arguably the best plot of the series. ME2 is the best all-rounder.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I need to replay 1 now. Also Tali is definitely best.

@dino - planet scanning was so relaxing. The little rumble on the pad then you fire off the pod and the little trajectory line. Perfect antidote to all that running around shooting shit
  • A Decade Later Mass Effect 2 Remains a Masterpiece – The Joy of Gaming.

Mass Effect 2 recently celebrated its 10th birthday, so Nate takes a look back at one of his favorite series and expounds upon why it remains a masterpiece to this day.

• It's a shame Andromeda had to piss on its chips really.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • The premise of Andromeda was amazing. One of my biggest gaming letdowns ever. I only played a few hours. Utter trash.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I kinda wish I’d persevered with Andromeda a little more than I did, but it gives a terrible first impression.
    Get schwifty.
  • My face is tired.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • The story of the making of andromeda is a car crash in the making. They had it wrong from the very start. Pissed years and millions on random planet generator which No Mans Sky did better and for a fraction of the cost.

ME series for me was about the storyline and the mini story lines. Having the same species in andromeda was just tired and old. Personally i would have preferred brand new alien species and a story line where ihad to earn/steal a new ship somehow (my original was destroyed) and have a cool adventure. They fucked that up epically.
  • I suspect what they were trying to do was the Mako missions from ME1 but on a grand scale. To me, that is an awesome idea. But it should never be the focus of the main game. The main game should be handcrafted with the Mako stuff as a nice side gig. 
    Much as I love No Mans Sky, it often doesn't give a sense of a real universe and its scale. Elite does this in spades but its a too much of a time sink for me right now so I would have loved an improved Mako section on randomly generated planets.
    Man I wanna play Elite again....
  • Andromeda once patched was an alright game. Not worthy of the Mass Effect banner but a reasonably good experience.
    If it was released as a copy cat title by another dev I think the verdict would be acceptable if forgettable.

Once patched of course, there was nothing acceptable about it at launch.
  • Andromeda killed the franchise and the studio. Shame as ME had potential to become a mainstream franchise and transcend gaming.
  • I think the studio killed itself.
  • No, EA killed Bioware.
  • Honestly reading the dev diary of hell around Anthem EA don't come out all that bad.
  • I always preferred ME1 too, went back and played them all a few years after 3 came out and was amazed to find that I found ME2 rather dull a second time through, ME3 some light hearted actiony fun, and ME1 was still amazing and was way better (imo).

I assume it was my fave just because I played it first and never really got into any Bioware games previously, so I guess there's that.
  • If i had a choice between a new high quality singleplayer KOTOR game or a new high quality ME game, id be torn. That would be a very tough choice
  • I would definitely jump in on a 4k HDR ME1 or 2.

Whoever wrote the first two should bang out a couple of stories, reuse the assets and makes some new episodes of the game.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    If i had a choice between a new high quality singleplayer KOTOR game or a new high quality ME game, id be torn. That would be a very tough choice
    I think I would go ME.
    Unfortunately I dont think Disney will give them the freedom they had back when KOTOR was made.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!