Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • 37tZTrE.jpg
    GAV BOSSING IT WITH THE BIG QUESTIONS.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I thought the whole point of suicide squad was that the joker was a hired person by the government

Is there a MASSIVE TWIST?
  • I have real concerns about Trainspotting 2. Even if the trailer contains every call-back to the original, there are too many call-backs.

Watched Sully at the local 'cinema' earlier. Every few weeks the town hall sets up a heap of chairs and projects a kids film in the afternoon, and another film at six. It's surprisingly good; it's basically like a not-for-profit or charity thing, where the money gets invested back into the hall and the cinema kit; the hall has been redecorated, the projection wall is pristine, they've got a really good sound system now, they've replaced all the chairs; it's all surprisingly good quality for a local venture. They're also getting films in better time now; in three weeks they're showing La La Land.

Anyway, I digress. Sully. I thought, much like its subject matter, it was a solid, level-headed performance without unnecessary flair. It got me quite emotional on a few occasions. Tom Hanks and Aaron Eckhart are two exceptional bits of casting; both make you feel like you're in professional, safe hands.
  • The Joker is The President, except he's been dead for a hundred years.
  • Manchester by The Sea is a fucking banger. Very slow, nothing much truly happens but Casey is a dreamboat and nails the role, he should be getting the best actor at the oscars, and as Tempy said, that middle bit changes the entire film.

It is Adagio in G Minor or something (Igor would flay me) that kicks in, the the film has a Haneke like stab at your gut.
  • Saw Lion. You can see the back of my mum's head in one of the plane scenes. Hollywood beckons.
    The film was fine even though it says quite a bit in the middle. Dev does a good Aussie accent. Biggest draw for me was seeing Haushka's name pop up in the credits for the soundtrack.
    Worth seeing if you like that kind of story.

One thing I found funny was
    Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Manchester by The Sea is a fucking banger. Very slow, nothing much truly happens but Casey is a dreamboat and nails the role, he should be getting the best actor at the oscars, and as Tempy said, that middle bit changes the entire film.
    It is Adagio in G Minor or something (Igor would flay me) that kicks in, the the film has a Haneke like stab at your gut.

Yah its a real fucking gutpunch:
    Spoiler:
  • I couldn't tell you what the Joker's role was in SS.
    I can't remember what bits were flash backs and what were real time, I have no idea what happened with the helicopter or why the Joker had a circle of knives.
    I literally have no clue what happened in that film because it was so mind numbingly dull/stupid/up it's own arse.
    Any attempt at tone was ruined by putting an entirely inappropriate track on lifted from the soundtrack, which is otherwise known as Now That's What I Call Music 6.

I even missed Captain String.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I don't get to watch many films, but just seen The Revenant a few years later, and aye it's a goodun.  Top work by Leo, some scenes indeed.
  • The equalizer is a funny film. Kind of weird how it escalates to a crescendo for a henchman and then how quickly ties up neatly with an oligarch.
  • FUCKING STRING!
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Hacksaw Ridge received a 10-minute standing ovation at the Venice Film Festival?  I felt like doing the same afterward as my arse was aching so much. 
    Probably not hurting more than Garfield's face, grinning and gurning like a goat through most of the film.  The most egregious lowlight is the portrayal of the Japanese soldiers as totally merciless and sneaky - to a man.  Not a patch on Full Metal's Jacket or even Saving Private Ryan, Gibson's heavy handed portrayal of this selfless medic almost turns it into an unintentional comedy.

Edit: Calmed down a bit now, it's not all bad. Hugo Weaving does a serviceable turn and one moment did make me jump and shout 'Fucking Hell'.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I lolled at the footy hoof the grenade away bit on the trailer. Want to see it though.
  • La La Land is absolutely bloody marvellous. You were all right. Well, most of you. What a piece of cinema. The Mrs and I just danced home from the cinema like a couple of loons.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Suicide Squad was flawed but no way near as bad as I was expecting.

Seeing all this Arrival talk makes me want to revisit Contact again. My goodness that was an amazing film.
  • Contact is great, but Suicide Squad is without a doubt one of the worst films of recent years.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I'm sure there's way worse.

Batman vs Superman ;)
  • I saw Hardcore Henry the other day.  It was fun and daft. We often talk about the influence of film on games, games trying to be more like films etc...well I guess this the other way around, a film influenced by/trying to be a game.  I enjoyed the film, and I don't even really like FPSes! :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I watched la la land with the missus and a teenage girl, they got bored and asked me to turn it off after the planetarium bit, i didn't argue. 
    Hacksaw was hamfisted, naive, romantic, jingoistic and i can't watch Garfield anymore, he can act as long as he's not asked to pay a character other than the only one he can do. 
    I've read a couple of accounts of the Pacific and European theatres of war and the one thing that every soldier did was get their fucking heads down and try and melt into any tiny fucking depression in the ground. This tendency in war movies for soldiers to stand up, above cover, spraying gunfire from the hip is ludicrous. After this and Fury I'm starting to think that Private Ryan never happened and i just dreamed it.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Oh and the classic.. SPANG, soldier looks at the dent in his helmet, then cracks a wry smile just before getting shot in his head is growing very, very tired.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Hacksaw Ridge looked like a turd of a movie from the trailer so your review backs that up.

The helmet thing must have happened once and has been recycled ever since. In reality that the bloke would shit it and start digging in with his eyelids. Probably accompanied by some hysterical laughing from the adrenaline release.
  • I watched Contact for the first time in December. I think I maybe watched the wrong thing, because I've seen people raving about it, but what I watched was a turd.
  • @goobs
    To be honest, just read an account of the guys exploits instead, incredible.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I might do that. Is there a book?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    I watched Contact for the first time in December. I think I maybe watched the wrong thing, because I've seen people raving about it, but what I watched was a turd.

You're watching it wrong.

• jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Live By Night wasn't anywhere near as bad as the reviews have been suggesting but isn't worth going out of your way for.

Lion is surprisingly intense for a PG. Despite having been exposed to the trailer repeatedly before Christmas (in exactly the same way as La La Land), I found myself pulled into it from the start and thought that it was an impressive piece of work.
  • djchump wrote:
    I might do that. Is there a book?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Doss
    This was interesting as well:
    http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/hacksaw-ridge/

Sledge and Leckie from The Pacific have written some good memoir accounts of their times.
    Helmet For My Pillow - which is basically The Pacific series.
    Sledgehammer (i think)
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    La La Land is absolutely bloody marvellous. You were all right. Well, most of you. What a piece of cinema. The Mrs and I just danced home from the cinema like a couple of loons.

This post made me smile.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!