regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Wick 2 is one of the uncut films on the flight to Japan. Will consume then seems the right time
  • Wonder Woman

Definitely not terrible, but it's not particularly good neither.

It's guilty of many of the generalisations levelled at the genre. It's bland and formulaic, it's jokes fall flat, it's long and got a silly cg ending. 

What it most definitely has got going for it though is Gal Godot who is phenomenal. She totally is Wonder Woman (a name never mentioned btw). She's a vision of amazonian beauty and strength and absolutely a match for the few and far between action sequences. A mid-movie set piece where WW liberates a Belgium village using high-level kickassary, and with that brilliant theme kicking in, is the only time the film ever really flies.

It makes it all the more disappointing then that it's really Chris Pine who takes centre stage here (often literally, with WW off to his side). He calls the shots. He's wise and heroic. He initiates shenanigans when they inevitably arrive. 

By far and away the best DC movie so far, but still many leagues behind the best of Marvel. 

6 lassos of truth out of 10 invisible planes.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • That Chris pine bit is completely wrong.
    Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It Follows is on Film 4 tonight. I'm gonna give it a second go and see if it was just my mood at the time.
  • Ooh you totally should! It's in the top 5 horror movies of all time (along with The Thing, Alien, Terminator and Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Jack Bauer Sr edition)).

And The Shining.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    terminator is not horror smh
  • You sure?
  • Well it least that gets my top 5 down to 5.

Thanks DS.
  • They don't often call her Wonder Woman in the comics. Its usually Diana.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Only just got around to watching John Wick as it's on Prime.  Trashy but fun, but ultimately only really notable for introducing me to Kaleida's Think.
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Currently watching Insomnia with Mrs reg. It's probably Nolan's best work
  • Somehow I've never seen that. Will rectify asap.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Caught that at the cinema.  Pretty intense piece of filmmaking.  It's up there with The Dark Knight and Interstellar.
    Get schwifty.
  • Saw it on release at the cinema and hated it. Rewatched it recently for a re-appraisal...still hated it. Cast is the main problem.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Watched War Machine tonight. It was crap.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Watched Jaws this afternoon, for the umpteenth time following the discussion earlier in the thread. First time through for wor lass (!?), she loved it. Afterwards I asked her how the rubber shark held up, she said it did the job, it was obviously not real but was convincing enough to put the shits right up her. The music is still phenomenal.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I really enjoyed Insomnia. I think it's his most assured piece of film as it relies on the fewest gimmicks a d has a straight line through in terms of procedurals. Mrs reg who loves Se7en and Zodiac (fincher fans of the world unite) loved it too but she also really likes Pacino.

I guess it helps that months before it came out I was living in the states and saw Williams in One Hour Photo at the Sundance Film Festival so was ready for his volte face. I met him after the screening and he was such a nice man, entertaining an idiot 16 year old talking about mork and mindy.:(
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I fucking love One Hour Photo. Williams' best role imo.
  • Yeah, It would be a much better film (imo) without Pacino and Williams.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • JonB wrote:
    Watched War Machine tonight. It was crap.

I did as well.  And I agree.  It was so muddled.  There were a handful of genuinely good bits in the film but the other hours made anything worthwhile, pointless.  

Pitt seemed to be channeling Beetlejuice as well, which didn't help.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I fucking love One Hour Photo. Williams' best role imo.

Agree. First time I saw it at sundance I had to put my head in my hands at the mall food court scene as it was too much for my teenage brain
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Watched War Machine tonight. It was crap.
    I did as well.  And I agree.  It was so muddled.  There were a handful of genuinely good bits in the film but the other hours made anything worthwhile, pointless.   Pitt seemed to be channeling Beetlejuice as well, which didn't help.
    I thought he was doing a bad impression of George Clooney, who presumably would've been better in the lead role. It was really distracting.

Really was all over the place though. First 10 minutes it's a comedy, then it isn't at all.
  • Wonder Woman
    Much better from DC Comics. Gal gadot is an epic Wonder Woman. I liked the movie, a enjoyable origins movie. Wonder Woman could easily become the standout character of the DC universe and the glue that will keep the JLA from falling apart. It's still not at Marvel level of story telling and they have the difficult characters yet to be introduced I.e. Cyborg, Martian Man Hunter, Aquaman etc. So still work to be done for DC. Here's hoping Gal Gadot gets plenty of screen time this autumn for the JLA movie.
  • Gadot should get the best actor nod at the oscars and her eyebrows best supporting actor.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I really enjoyed Insomnia. I think it's his most assured piece of film as it relies on the fewest gimmicks a d has a straight line through in terms of procedurals. Mrs reg who loves Se7en and Zodiac (fincher fans of the world unite) loved it too but she also really likes Pacino.

I guess it helps that months before it came out I was living in the states and saw Williams in One Hour Photo at the Sundance Film Festival so was ready for his volte face. I met him after the screening and he was such a nice man, entertaining an idiot 16 year old talking about mork and mindy.:(

I think insomnias a remake which might have tied his hands to good effect.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah it's a remake of a 97 Norwegian film which pales in comparison, albeit they both follow similar stories.
  • Kudos to Tom Cruise, on Graham Norton show promoting his new movie The Mummy. Explained how a shot shown in the trailers involving a plane wasn't cgi. They used an actual plane, flew up high, did a parabolic curve maneuver with plane which generated 30 sec of zero g and did the shot. They did 60 takes of that shot. That takes guts.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Kudos to Tom "my job is as hard as fighting in Afghanistan" Cruise?

Nah, fuck him.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!