Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • I'd be highly skeptical of those user reviews .59% are a 10, with then 10% as a 9.

For comparison, Blade Runner, which has an 8.2 average has roughly 25% 10, 9 and 8.

I dare say a huge portion come from people who haven't seen it yet. Once it's on general release, that's going to drop 2 points I reckon.
  • Watching Blade 2 on the train to Edinburgh. Had no idea that Daryl from TWD was in it - and when I say Daryl I don’t mean the actor, I mean the same basic character of Daryl is in the film. Spooky.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    He's one of the worst things about TWD. How does he maintain that just the same amount of not showering look?
  • He’s worth it.
  • Watching The Crow. Still a crying shame about Brandon Lee.. but it’s not that great
    The Forum Herald™
  • Blasphemy.

I would have watched that in the cinema for Halloween for sure.

Follow it with Dark City.
    Hi Hosting - Fast and Reliable UK Web Hosting
    We host a number of bears and badgers, get in touch if want a website too!
  • I hate tidying my bedroom too.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Mennen Black. I do love Deadpool, even just for the whole hearted way that Ryan Reynolds has completely embraced the character.

I like Ryan Reynolds. Especially as he stuck to his guns for deadpool2 which meant the director left the project. The director wanted a stylistic sequel. Reynolds wanted to continue to break the 4th wall and do the deadpool jokes etc. Good lad.

• Whoever mentioned the little prince, knows their shit.
  • I am currently balls deep in Wonder Woman. So far it's been an enjoyable ride.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I also liked Kubo and the 2 strings
  • WW was alright but a bit dull.
  • I liked Trolls movie
  • Killing of a S. Deer was good but I feel no need to watch again. Wasn't on a lobster level, but would recommend if only for the Irish lad playing the kid.
  • Okay I'd recommend in its own right, but the Irish kid was sound. Didn't even clock he was Irish.
  • Ok. I'm quite far into Wonder Woman now, and it's rapidly plummeting over a cliff.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Whoever mentioned the little prince, knows their shit.

o/
    Get schwifty.
  • g.man wrote:
    Ok. I'm quite far into Wonder Woman now, and it's rapidly plummeting over a cliff.

It's utter cack.

The kids liked it though.
  • Kubo and the two strings fits into the small
    Category of films that are so dull I couldn't finish.

Trolls was dull

The Forum Herald™
  • Moana, on the other hand, is fucking brilliant.
  • Just watched the Rampage trailer. Looks big, daft and dumb. Might be a classic case of "two pints before you go in and it'll be great".

Also also. Me and Mrs J saw Geostorm the other week. It was garbage. Utter, complete and total garbage. On every level. But then, I'm sure you all knew that. Carry on.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Florida Project last night, which was equal parts life affirming and chillingly harrowing. Though
    Spoiler:

Also just got steaming with my crippled wee brother and watched The Kingsman on Film 4. Fuck me, that must be one of the worst films that’s come out in the last few years.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's a belter mate, proper good fun. Kingsman that is
  • Ooft, couldn’t get onboard with it. Had a fine laugh taking the piss while watching it, to be fair. Maybe that’s the point.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Aye its hammed up to fuck, makes little sense, but has some top level action scenes and a fair bit of toilet humour (I'm one of the few who enjoyed that line and didn't get whipped up into hysterics)
  • Yeah, I was also a Kingsman fan, but I know several here didn’t like it.

The Missus absolutely loved it, tbh.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    Mennen Black. I do love Deadpool, even just for the whole hearted way that Ryan Reynolds has completely embraced the character.

I like Ryan Reynolds. Especially as he stuck to his guns for deadpool2 which meant the director left the project. The director wanted a stylistic sequel. Reynolds wanted to continue to break the 4th wall and do the deadpool jokes etc. Good lad.

Wondered why director left. Seems odd that he wanted to change the tone. Got anymore info?
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • So Wonder Woman. *There will be spoilers*

I liked Wonder Woman. I did not like Wonder Woman.
    About the only thing DC has got right with it's recent gaggle of super movies is the casting of their leads. Affleck's Batman is great, Cavill's Superman is great, and Gadot's Wonder Woman is also great.
    Sadly that's the only thing they seem to get right with these films, because fuck me if this didn't turn out to be another stinker.

It starts well enough. The stuff with the Amazons on Chipolata is colourful fun. There's a lightness of tone to it, and Gadot is an engaging lead.

But then Matt Damon Jr falls out of the sky, and to rescue him from the sea, Wonder Woman then jumps off a cliff and metaphorically takes any promise the movie has with her. I don't doubt that somewhere on the cutting room floor there's a shot of her punching a shark at this point, because that's how fucking dumb this movie becomes.

She's dragged into an insultingly stupid plot based around World War One, which is both breathtakingly uneven in tone and offensively bad.
    Now I get that these are films based on comic books and made for a young audience, but this was just utter tripe.
    There's the germ of an interesting idea in making Diana a naive Goddess in a world of men hell bent on killing each other in a meaningless global conflict, and having her have to come to terms with this completely new and horrific world she finds herself in, but this is not the way to do it.
    You simply cannot eloquently express these sort of themes and ideas in such a featherweight production.
    For all the plaudits that Logan won for it's gritty portrayal of superhero life, this was really the film that needed to adopt this sort of tone if it wanted to explore these themes.
    It fails hard.
    What we needed to see was Diana crossing No Man's Land covered in blood, shit and tears, and absolutely horrified at the carnage around her. She's meant to be a force of pure good in a world she doesn't understand, so if you're going to try and go down this road then we needed to see her wrestle with her conscience about killing hundreds of German soldiers, rather than just see her without a hair out of place, kicking Nazi ass, accompanied by that ass kicking theme tune of hers. 
    It just doesn't work.

Then we have the supporting cast. Matt Damon JrSitting BullThe FezKilt Man. All of them beyond awful, and the villains, Nazi Man and Face Ache, absolute nonentities.

That the plot is so poorly written and realised doesn't help either. It's just a collection of scenes and set-pieces that don't connect into a cohesive narrative. How did we get here? Why did they do that? It's almost like they just made it up as they went along. Terrible writing.

It's almost like they realised at the end that they didn't actually have a villain, so what the fuck are we going to do???? I know! Plot twist! Old David Thewlis's good guy is actually The God of War!!!! OMG!!!
    What the actual fuck??? Where did they get this shite from? Did nobody explain the concept of foreshadowing a twist to the writers? They might as well have made that armadillo that wanders passed young Diana at the beginning of the film turn out to be the villain. Fucking Scooby Doo has better written twists than this.
    But hey! It gives us an excuse to blow shit up and have Wonder Woman and Ares punch each other for ten minutes.

Then Matt Damon Jr kills himself. Why the fuck didn't he just land the plane or bale out? What the fuck happened to the gas cloud when the plane exploded? There's just so much stuff in this film that doesn't make any sense. 

It all just happens because it has to. There is no cause and effect anywhere in the film.

We fell asleep on our boat just out of Chipolata and when I woke up we were in London!
    Has Matt Damon Jr kept you drugged for weeks while you made the voyage?

So now we're at the Nazi castle. How are we going to get in? That's ok, Sitting Bull (who was standing next to me two seconds ago) now has a limousine! Where the fuck did you get that from Chief? Oh. There's a field of them just over there (points out of shot). Really? There's a limousine dealership in the woods? Who'd have thought?
    Now we can get The Fez to use his powers of being an amusing foreigner to get us passed the guards at the castle gates. No way will they just shoot us in the fucking head for having no I.D. whatsoever. Jesus wept. It's all just so brainless.

It's a fucking shame. Gadot deserves better. Her Wonder Woman has so much potential, but it's all just wasted by idiotic writing and poor direction.
    DC need to wake up to the fact that if you're going to make a film, at the very least have a decent story to tell, because a good looking lead just isn't enough.

hot piss

g.man
  • Yar, agree with much of that.

After I finished watching it can’t help but feel that it got such as easy time critically simply because it wasn’t Suicide Squad. But, that doesn’t mean it’s actually any good.
  • Was setting myself up to read all of that g, but hit issues early with the casting stuff.

Apart from Gaddot, the casting has been horrendous.

(Not including the JL noobs as jury still out).

Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!