Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    Went to a screening of Happy End today.  It probably should have been called Now That's What I call Haneke '17, as the whole thing felt like a compilation of all Haneke's previous films and pre-occupations.  As a result, every scene is beautifully crafted, and often somewhat unsettling, yet the whole ultimately felt a bit aimless and self reverential.  The performances, as you'd expect, are superb - particularly at the extremes of the age scale - with Fantine Harduin playing a somewhat troubled teen, and Jean-Louis Trinatignant as an elderly relative who has clearly seen Amour.  The biggest surprise for me in the film was that it is, in places, genuinely (if darkly) funny - though the biggest laugh came from the people sat behind me when the final credits rolled, so thrown were they to find themselves at the end. So, yeah, certainly worth seeing, with some interesting stuff going on, but maybe not his best...

Cheers for the review, along with Sacred Deer and Mother! its my most wanted film of the coming months.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Mudbound on Netflix. It's pretty good. You should watch it.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Went in to see JL with low expectations with the kids and came out pleasantly surprised, story is bobbins, but all members of the team are well cast and work well together. Give them some decent material and DC might be able to turn this around.
    Things can only get better.
  • mannaboy wrote:
    Give them some decent material and DC might be able to turn this around.

I’m guessing there’s zero chance of that happening, though.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I just don't get all this 'It's a step in the right direction!' stuff. They should have been going in the right direction by the time of their big team-up movie. Too fucking late now.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Justice League is hot piss. Just not good at all. It started and within the first 5 mins I wished it was over. The overall aesthetic just kills it.

I look forward to G's review
  • I watched a couple of SUPERHERO MOVIES on the old Bloo Ray last week actually.
    X-Men: Apocalypse. Which was pretty standard fare, but all things being equal was decent enough, and Guardians of the Galaxy 2, which despite middling reviews on release, I actually really enjoyed. Though it was much better than the first one.

go figure

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I watched the 5hr version of Fanny & Alexander over the weekend. Bergman's triumph - no doubt. And highly accessible.

The first 45mins portrays as idyllic a Christmas as in any film (albeit peppered with baudy amoral hijinks - but maybe that makes it more accurate) - quite something coming from a director with as bleak a track record as he.  

It soon changes though. One interpretation is that it's a ghost story; but there's a fair bit more to it than that.

Looks stunning in places. Would like to see it projected with a nice clean print.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • BZCRiSARJ4vbcjdVrS998g-650-80.jpg2rdC5PKcARsaSHAqW5VY7g-650-80.jpg
    v9eZX3ZPDUME8DRMmK546g-650-80.jpg
    Z9XHYUHuHt7qdb7SAqV84g-650-80.jpg
    krj7Ey78xvkUqzw78Zr58g-650-80.jpg
    D6gTc3jjKQ2DAu2at3Hf6h-650-80.jpg
    eGbXoQCZoqrUbEr5u3WT3g-650-80.jpg
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Some Infinity goodness for you there G.

Trailer soon I'd imagine.
  • Shut up I haven't seen that one yet!!!!
  • JRPC wrote:
    Shut up I haven't seen that one yet!!!!

Thor has a new ARM?!
  • I can't place 16 of those characters, so I think I need to catch up a bit.  

What are the best efforts in the past 5 years?  I've seen quite a few - Logan, Winter Soldier, Civil War, Deadpool, Batman Vs Superman (loool), Guardians of the Galaxy, but I assume some of the ones I've missed are good and I'm in the mood to get stuck in.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Don't think I have seen any Marvel films that I have enjoyed more than the XMen films. There was the one with Vinnie Jones which was a mis-step but I still found it enjoyable.

I liked the travel back in time one too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I can't place 16 of those characters, so I think I need to catch up a bit.  

What are the best efforts in the past 5 years?  I've seen quite a few - Logan, Winter Soldier, Civil War, Deadpool, Batman Vs Superman (loool), Guardians of the Galaxy, but I assume some of the ones I've missed are good and I'm in the mood to get stuck in.

I’d say the few at the top of a list should be Dr Strange,
    Guardians 2, Spider-Man Homecoming, Wonder Woman, and Thor Ragnarok. I’d say they’re the pick of the bunch recently. Maybe AntMan as a bit of a silly comedy addition.
  • Thanks.  I think Guardians 2 is on Prime for £1.99, might do that.  Would definitely watch two of the other three* but they're a way off home viewing I assume.  Is any of the undercard stuff like like Ant Man or Dr. Strange worth a go?

*I hated the original Thor, really really hated it.  I've heard good things about the direction they've taken with the latest one though.  First effort was California Men in Tights.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Thanks.  I think Guardians 2 is on Prime for £1.99, might do that.  Would definitely watch two of the other three but they're a way off home viewing I assume.  Is any of the undercard stuff like like Ant Man or Dr. Strange worth a go?

Oh I forgot Dr Strange, that’s another of my favourites, my apologies. Spidey and WW are now available on disc/download etc and AntMan Dr S will be available very cheap too I imagine.
  • Antman is on Netflix.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Taken out of movie context they look like shit tier cosplayers.
  • DR Strange is merely OK. I quite enjoyed Antman. Guardians 2 is good. I liked that one. WW is disappointing.
  • Nice that they forgot to 'shop out the wires holding Spidey and Flying Woman up.
  • I've seen most of these films. I have no idea who eight of the characters are in those pics.
  • g.man wrote:
    DR Strange is merely OK. I quite enjoyed Antman. Guardians 2 is good. I liked that one. WW is disappointing.

Dr Strange I had to give up on. Antman is great. Nice to see Rudd in a serious role.
    The Forum Herald™
  • g.man wrote:
    I've seen most of these films. I have no idea who eight of the characters are in those pics.

To be fair, some of them are from Black Panther, which isn't out yet.  Others are just eminently forgettable.  (Like Mrs Hawkeye.)  Oh, and one of them is Kevin Feige, who's not in any of the films, but did produce them.
  • Those pics remind me of those "make your own story" books that had a sheet of stickers of characters then a series of glossy paged scenes to place them on.

I bet that is how they plot out the movies.
  • I think AM and Dr.S are on the Sky streaming thing.  The latter definitely is.
  • Antman is on Netflix.

I've got access to both then.
  • Aussie Netflix has cap 3 and Dr strange.

If that helps.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!