Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • jdanielp wrote:
    three1ne wrote:
    Quiet Place was good. Lots to like but it has a poor plot that is easy to pull apart. Didnt scare me once either.

Despite so much about A Quiet Place being good, the poor plot was so easy to pull apart (and so much of this could have been addressed at script level I would assume) that I was unable to conclude that it is a good film overall.

Also off to see Ghost Stories tonight so will see how that compares.

First to post a review wins!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • The Ritual.  There's a bit more to it but it's basically lads lads lads - a lad + scary woods.  A good effort.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Yeah. I preferred The Ritual to A Quiet Place.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    First to post a review wins!

Cool.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s not the most in-depth review I’ve ever read, but still, congrats on the win.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    That's not my review yet, sorry.
  • jdanielp wrote:
    Yeah. I preferred The Ritual to A Quiet Place.

Christ, The Ritual was pants so that doesn't bode well for A Quiet Place (which I still haven't watched yet)
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Ghost Stories was certainly intriguing... A bit jump scary in places, one of which I had totally failed to anticipate. I preferred it to A Quiet Place but I can't really imagine ever wanting to watch it again now.
  • So Ghost Stories then.

I enjoyed it, was suitably creepy and had me jumping at the right moments but I must admit I was left feeling a little disappointed. (I’m going to SPOILER tag this bit as it really is best if you know nothing going on so consider yourself warned!)
    Spoiler:

With the spoiler tag bit said I will say I enjoyed the rest immensely and think it’s certainly a fun and effective spooky experience.

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Fuck sake!! You beat me to it by minutes!! I was typing that in the car park
  • Went and saw A Quiet Place. Quite enjoyed it, downside being it was all very obvious and there were some silly moments. But, cast did well, gave a shit about the characters and there weren’t any real glaring ‘what the hell are you doing?’ moments. Glad to see it’s done really well so far and was a decent debut by Office blokey.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Fuck sake!! You beat me to it by minutes!! I was typing that in the car park

I typed mine during the credits ;)

It is actually playing on my mind a bit so I may yet watch it again at some point or at least read up about it...
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Stopharage wrote:
    there weren’t any real glaring ‘what the hell are you doing?’ moments.

There were far too many of those by my reckoning.

• jdanielp wrote:
    Fuck sake!! You beat me to it by minutes!! I was typing that in the car park

I typed mine during the credits ;) It is actually playing on my mind a bit so I may yet watch it again at some point or at least read up about it...

Having done a little reading when I got home it all makes more sense to me now
    Spoiler:

• Statham Vs. Dino-Mega-Jaws: 

• Oh yea I saw that trailer over breakfast, this is the type of film I love. Big dumb fun
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    From the director of national treasure so thumb well up
  • Tell me The Stath tries to punch some marine life in the face
  • regmcfly wrote:

...the arse?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • On a related note, apparently the Rampage "adaptation" had been getting positive things said about it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

...the arse?

Mate I like the movies but not sure that much
  • AJ wrote:
    On a related note, apparently the Rampage "adaptation" had been getting positive things said about it.

You mean there's an actual book called Rampage or something.  Someone wrote a story about giant genetically re-engineered monsters, and it got published then made into a film?  What's the world coming to?!
  • No, it's based on the game. The quotes were because the game doesn't so much have a plot as a premise.
  • The Meg looks brilliant!
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    A meg is a piss take where I'm from. Are you megging me?
  • Just watched the trailer. Looks so-so, but the fact it's got Ruby Rose has changed it from "I might watch if it comes on Netflix" to "I'll definitely watch if it comes on Netflix". Everything about that woman's appearance is amazing.
  • The Meg looks brilliant!

I know! Giant Megladon, giant squids, THE STATH!
  • Halfway through Detroit.  The current scene isn't making much sense to me, so I think I'll come back to it after a nap.  
    Spoiler:
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Halfway through Detroit.  The current scene isn't making much sense to me, so I think I'll come back to it after a nap.  
    Spoiler:
    I remember thinking the same at the time, but in the end the tension of the situation won out and made it very effective. The issue I had was more how much the first part of the film dragged on before we got to that. Made the whole thing overlong.
  • A meg is a piss take where I'm from. Are you megging me?

As in, "I'm going to chip down the shops"

"Are you megging me?"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!