Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Isle of Dogs

I’m a Wes Anderson sucker (f’nar, f’nar) and had been looking forward to seeing this for a fair while. It’s utterly beautiful, the music was superb, the motion animation was terrific and at times extremely amusing. But, it was a bit of a disappointment when compared to his previous work. It certainly didn’t have the humour, heart and personality of Fantastic Mr Fox and around half way through I found myself drifting off.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm a fan of the phrase Poundland Universe.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just discovered we have The Missing Pieces to watch tonight. Twin Peaks shall never end.
  • AJ wrote:
    You saying my instinct to leave Last Jedi until I've literally nothing else to do is correct then?

I’d watch soon as, in the knowledge that it makes The Force Awakens look like Citizen Kane.

Weird though, Grem’s taste is usually impeccable.

Oh come on, it’s fine. It’s a decent, fun, family sci-fi romp - it’s not the greatest film in the world but it’s not trying to be either.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The Last Movie Star - I expected a bit better from Burt Reynolds for some reason. Nice idea, interesting to see him acting alongside himself in his old films, but it seems a terribly wasted opportunity that just falls into grumpy old man redemption territory with a bunch of forgettable secondary characters. Two and a half Smokies.
  • I’m super excited about going to see Rampage tomorrow night. Vue’s Super Monday offer of £3.99 tickets is going to become my regular thing now.
    Rampage this week, next week will be the big one... INFINITY WAR OH MY GOD IM SO EXCITED
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Come to realise that all I want now from a cinema trip is something big, dumb, lots of punching and leaves me with a smile from ear to ear.

I considered A Quiet Place but having seen the trailers and read the reviews I’ve decided that I couldn’t handle it. The idea of parents doing all they can to save their young family against a threat that will kill them if they make noise, the possibility of seeing babies or children in trouble is just too much for me to handle. I think it comes down to living in fear for the duration of my wife’s very risky pregnancy that we could lose our boys at anytime, I just can’t handle the idea of seeing a family have a child in danger, I couldn’t go through those emotions again.

I’ve turned off many a film or tv show if I’ve seen a hint of child abuse or children in danger, I can’t handle those emotions anymore.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Come to realise that all I want now from a cinema trip is something big, dumb, lots of punching and leaves me with a smile from ear to ear.

I concur with this statement.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Grem, it's fine as bad film and shits on Star Wars lore.  Without any intentional condescension, glad you enjoyed it.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Come to realise that all I want now from a cinema trip is something big, dumb, lots of punching and leaves me with a smile from ear to ear.

Man, when you guys realise The Godfather is actually 2hrs 10mins of people TALKING TO EACH OTHER and only 10 mins shooting you'll be ready to put it in the bin, I get it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Imagine how much better Forrest Gump would be if he just battered fuck out of every cunt he met
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fwiw I'm off to see Rampage tomorrow, just find the hyperbole a bit much above.
  • Godfather is well talky though.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Imagine how much better Forrest Gump would be if he just battered fuck out of every cunt he met
    That could work.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Couldn't make it any worse, anyway.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    That could work.

I guess Nixon would get his
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Man, when you guys realise The Godfather is actually 2hrs 10mins of people TALKING TO EACH OTHER and only 10 mins shooting you'll be ready to put it in the bin, I get it.

I think it's less about wanting every film to be a dumb explosion puncher, and more about those films suit the current cinema going experience. I'd not expect The Godfather to be enhanced my having the person next to you fill their face with popcorn while texting and asking "What did he say?" every few minutes.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    A Quiet Place was dumb as fuck just quietly. An interesting premise Bay'd into oblivion.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • regmcfly wrote:
    It would be a different film, that’s for sure.
    A forest Gump remake with Jason Statham
  • I can enjoy talky movies, just find that I don’t like films that make me feel sad or depressed or anxious anymore, I have enough of feeling that in life, I want to feel something different with my cinema experiences. I want pure escapism
  • My wife loves those dramas about some teenage girl with cancer who has to overcome the odds for a romance that shouldn’t be allowed but then she dies anyway and everyone cries.
    It’s all a bit much for me
  • You watched Jumanji 2, Wooks? That had me grinning from start to finish for that exact reason. A fun concept made more fun by the actors seeming like they were having a lot of fun themselves.
  • Ehhhhh was in response to that first comment.
  • You watched Jumanji 2, Wooks? That had me grinning from start to finish for that exact reason. A fun concept made more fun by the actors seeming like they were having a lot of fun themselves.

I haven’t yet but I can’t wait for the blu ray release

• I would see anything with Dwayne Johnson in it to be fair, he’s just got an amazing screen presence and for me is the very definition of a super star
  • I'm waiting for the inevitable comedy starring Johnson and Cena butting heads. It'll be spectacular.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The fact is that telly is better at talky stuff these days. Give me my talky stuff in the form of a TV show and my punchy, explodey, shooty stuff in the form of a movie.

Godfather was good, but it was no Sopranos.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    I'm waiting for the inevitable comedy starring Johnson and Cena butting heads. It'll be spectacular.

I've got a movie for you. It's called WWE
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Unless it's Rainer wolfcastle time
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    In which case back in the bin for me

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!