#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Blade Runner 2049 has the best special effect I have ever seen, because I can’t tell it’s a special effect.  Rachael is amazing.
    Get schwifty.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Spoiler:

We've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Maybe worth spoilering - that was certainly a "hoah shit" moment for me, and that's a movie not even a year old
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Just back from that Incredibles 2, good stuff but a bit long, the boy had to have two toilet breaks during it. Glad Danielle took the aisle seat.
  • Just seen Mission Impossible: Fallout.  Definitely the best film with my Mum in it this year, but also a damn good action movie in its own right.  It has nothing profound to say about anything, but it’s an almost continuous stream of action set pieces dominoing one into the other, each pulled off with remarkable aplomb.  (I have all sorts of issues with Tom Cruise the man, but Tom Cruise the Movie Star remains incredible - you are rarely in any doubt that it’s him doing which ever insane stunt you’re watching.). 

It’s also, I think, the most Mission:Impossible like Mission:Impossible movie - with one scene being lifted pretty much directly from the TV show.  (To the degree that I knew immediately what would happen next, but found it only enhanced my delight.). 

The only negative - it helps to have already seen Rogue Nation as there are a few bits from that (and to a lesser degree, other MI movies) that are directly referenced.  Though, whilst McQuarrie returns to direct this feels surprisingly different to that film.  (I thought Rogue Nation was notable for starting big, and becoming progressively more intimate.  Whereas this starts with its foot on the accelerator, and largely just leaves it there.)
  • I went to see McQueen last night, the Alexander McQueen documentary. It’s top viewing. Amazing man, amazing talent, and a hugely sad loss. It’s a cracking film, some of the footage of his major catwalk setpieces gave me genuine goosebumps on the big screen. Just incredible.
  • Just back from that Incredibles 2, good stuff but a bit long, the boy had to have two toilet breaks during it. Glad Danielle took the aisle seat.

Any seizures?

I like that McQuarrie started as a good small time action director and is now doing a great job making blockbuster action.
  • Watched The Incredibles 2 this morning. Thought it was excellent. A very good continuation of the story from the first and it had some wonderful humour and action in. Baby Jack Jack absolutely stole the film.

It also happened to be the first trip to the cinema for my little boy. He adored every second of the experience and I was so proud of him sitting so well during such a long film (especially with added adverts, trailers and short film)! I may have welled up a bit towards the end.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    A massive dose of WTF?! swirled round the audience at that short film. Nate was fine throughout too, although he's been a couple of times before. We did end up in our seats before the adverts even started though, a mighty challenge he passed with flying colours.
  • A massive dose of WTF?! swirled round the audience at that short film. Nate was fine throughout too, although he's been a couple of times before. We did end up in our seats before the adverts even started though, a mighty challenge he passed with flying colours.

Similar feelings around our cinema too during the short film. I could see what they were trying but it just did not work!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Small Hero 6 is easily the best of the M:I series for me. Aside from sporadically awkward moments of exposition, it's bursting with excellent action, gives the best of Bond and Bourne a run for their money, and even brings to mind Nolan, as Reg mentioned.
    Spoiler:
  • jdanielp wrote:
    Small Hero 6 is easily the best of the M:I series for me. Aside from sporadically awkward moments of exposition, it's bursting with excellent action, gives the best of Bond and Bourne a run for their money, and even brings to mind Nolan, as Reg mentioned.
    It's easy to forget among all the action, but yeah some of the dialogue and acting is really quite bad. The scene where
    Spoiler:
    And any scene where Cavill has to speak for more than a few words drags everyone down.
    Spoiler:
  • New Mi is good
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Still not convinced by this...

Somewhat randomly, about 40 seconds in, there's an arial shot of Glasgow city centre.

go figure

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • "oof ah huh I have this parasite yeah g'nite mrs Chang"

Looks like Hardy Funtimes!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Looks bloody awful.
    Get schwifty.
  • It's trailer 3 followed by, I think, trailer 2.
    You could argue that this gives away virtually most of the plot, but at it looks so tired and generic plot-wise, that's probably not a big issue with this one.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Without being too dismissive, especially as I'm back in the game after watching Ragnarok, it's hard not to think 'call me when he fights Spiderman' with any Venom stuff.
  • But, as per spoilers in the trailer, he:
    Spoiler:
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    You could argue that this gives away virtually most of the plot

This reminds me about the opening title seqence of Small Hero 6... Whilst there is a trend for films (espeically animations) to show a stylised recap of the entire story in the pre-crawl credits at the end of the film, the M:I series are the only films I can think of that do something similar at the start, to varying extents, presumably in keeping with the TV series which I've never seen. The latest one wasn't exhaustive by any means, but it certainly mildly 'spoiled' a number of action sequences.
  • jdanielp wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    You could argue that this gives away virtually most of the plot
    This reminds me about the opening title seqence of Small Hero 6... Whilst there is a trend for films (espeically animations) to show a stylised recap of the entire story in the pre-crawl credits at the end of the film, the M:I series are the only films I can think of that do something similar at the start, to varying extents, presumably in keeping with the TV series which I've never seen. The latest one wasn't exhaustive by any means, but it certainly mildly 'spoiled' a number of action sequences.

Yeah, it's a direct nod to the TV show which had a different set of opening titles each episode - each time featuring clips of what was to come in order to whet your appetite.  (And presumably to compensate for the fact that the next 15 minutes usually consisted of people flicking through dossiers or chatting in an apartment..)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Schrader's First Reformed - A masterful study on faith, the corrosion of belief and spirituality. In essence its a film about hope, and by essentially stripping it back to two main leads its an exceptional character study. I have to watch Dreyer's Ordet now.
  • Might give it a shot tomorrow, currently half way through A Prayer Before Dawn, which I'm sort of enjoying.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    That's a brilliant movie.
  • It’s very well done. Really draws you in.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Going to see Tom Cruise Action Movie tonight, can’t wait.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Watched Shot Caller from a DS haul of yore.  Enjoyable nonsense.  Wind River > Sweet Virginia > Shot Caller, but it's definitely worth a watch (lumping them together because they all have The Man With Big Face in).
  • The Incredibles 2. Overlong. Predictable. The kids enjoyed it but wasn't for me. 3/5.

A Ghost Story. Lent itself to an art installation film. The party philosopher was a real low point. Haunting. In a good way. 3.5/5

Now onto American Made. Not sure I can tolerate the ropey camerawork.
  • A Ghost Story was a big screen Tales of the Unexpected. 
    American Made was good fun.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!