Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • That's a good topic actually, films that got considered greats after their original run, like Shawshank. Any others?
  • I had to eat my hat over Starship Troopers. Wasn't up for it at all at the time, watched it years later and realised I'd been a wally.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's a Wonderful Life was only appreciated years after release.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    VHS and DVD gave films a 2nd life. Shawshank was an example of that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was The Thing a late bloomer?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    No
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tremors. Performed well under expectation at the cinema.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Nnggg
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    2001 got quite mixed reviews on release and only later became universally well thought of.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Did Eyes Wide Shut get a slating on release? My memory’s a bit fuzzy on it.
  • I think it did. I also found it ‘boring’ in the cinema. Only appreciated it later on home viewing.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Mucky bugger
  • EWS is a good shout, I saw it on release (as a 16yo) and thought it fine but was disappointed. Rewatching over the years with more mature eyes it's up there in the top 5 or so Kubrick's for me.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Blade Runner was a bit of a flop but was appreciated later. The Thing definitely qualifies too
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Blade Runner was deservedly a flop tbf
  • Blade Runner was deservedly a flop tbf

scduP9SxO7SDVam8GuciSDsa09fZODnQQ__7AY0k6OPo3yipMcY0a4gIpqDPNa1gU2Hfo5YzmQbqbbGNKD-Wd9fu1jWb3c1gMZ9_Q0FMRr4
  • Blade Runner was deservedly a flop tbf

…but…I loved you…how could you be this person?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's not a horror so I'm afraid his opinion is just wrong. No scares, no cares.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Opinion is right lads, sorry. Its an average film.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's in my top 5 ever so you're definitely wrong. Fact.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Waterworld (1995) - Kevin Costner plays a decidedly non-woke mariner in this expensive water-based action spin on Mad Max.

Oodles of money are on-screen, to the film’s real-life downfall. The sets are spectacular and the water-based combat impressive but particularly when it comes to the early water village and later massive ship, you can’t help but wonder if the film could have been executed more economically but just as entertainingly.

The lore is quite elaborate but not always well-explained (perhaps in the vain hope of being further expanded in a sequel?) and even the shortest theatrical cut is flabby and lacking in meaningful plot content. My understanding is alternate cuts handle the lore differently and diddle with the plot. I thought the villain was a bit weird, never portrayed as genuinely threatening and actually humiliated early in the film. Again, was he intended to be merely the starter villain for an eventual franchise? We’ll never know.

Overall, it’s fun but wonky. It’s not any worse than a bunch of other commercially viable stuff and if they’d kept a tighter grip on the purse strings this could easily have been a franchise still running today. ★★★☆☆

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) - Confusingly titled but more sure-footed sequel to Rise of the Planet of the Apes. In the ten years since the previous film, the genetically modified virus that granted the apes their improved intelligence has now almost annihilated humanity except for the tiny percentage with natural immunity. First contact between the San Franciscan survivors and the nascent intelligent ape colony goes poorly when a rogue human shoots an ape child. While some in both factions wish for peace, others want war and soon sparks begin to fly.

This is much more what you’d want from a Planet of the Apes prequel and is much better than the previous film on both the action and cerebral front. The HDR is much better on this one while the surround is again good. The film is not anything particularly revelatory but it’s another solid instalment in the usually reliable Apes franchise. ★★★★☆
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Wanted to book Furiosa at my local Odeon but £21.49?!  Fuck me.  Then I remembered I had a couple of 'free' tickets left from my Curzon membership so booked it for a Wednesday after work.  So that's essentially £10 to see it as membership is £50 a year and I get 5 tickets.  One left!
  • I thought the second Apes movie was quite good when I saw it back in the day. Felt like it had more going on in it than the average blockbuster. Haven't seen it since though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Only modern apes film I saw in the cinema was that Tim Burton mess that Tim Roth and Mark Whalberg was in.

Am booked to see Shawshank Redemption projected next week. :)
  • I seem to remember liking the first of this run, the Franco one. (I'm sure that was pitched as the same universe as the Burton one, something long binned off).

The others haven't really gripped me.

They do big CG blockbuster well and "makes you think" drama well. I just never find myself wanting both at the same time in the same movie.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've watched the later ones streamed and at random - haven't followed the storyline at all if there is one.  Last one I saw had apes or people (can't remember which) in a cage. Technically impressive but totally forgettable.  I do remember the first one with Lithgow and Caesar's original story - but I had to think there of the original ape's name.

The original Heston one remains the best for me. I can even suffer the sequel but after that it's a bit of a mess in all its versions.

I do like the later series' presentation of Orangutans as being the gentler more empathetic of the whole lot though.  Prefer that to the original films that had them as TV style evangelists.

Both make the mistake of making gorillas the aggressors. It's chimps that are the cunts of the ape world.
  • I thought the modern day Planet of the Apes trilogy was really good with each successive film better than the last one - rare that in a trilogy.

Mixed feelings about Kingdom of the Apes, the trailer makes it look good, but do we really need a new one? (possibly leading to a new trilogy where a CGI Charlton Heston returns to Earth to deliver that line). Apparently the new film(s) could bring us back to that point in the timeline....
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Hmmm. I enjoyed the first two, but still haven’t seen the third. Should probably check it out.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    They are all fine but I think the first one was the best for me. Had a nice emotional heart. Serkis was excellent throughout.
  • poprock wrote:
    Hmmm. I enjoyed the first two, but still haven’t seen the third. Should probably check it out.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!