regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    "I didn't have seconds" is the line for me.
  • "admiral Benson"
    "Really? That's my name!"
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Just discovered Hot Shots 1 and 2 are on Disney Plus. Weekend sorted.

That’s my hanging Saturday sorted.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    The sequel is GOD TIER.

This. Mad Max 2 is magnificent. A VHS darling.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Shallow Grave (1994) - This is good! Why did I not watch this 15 years ago?! Three friends who live in Scotland’s biggest flat recruit a dodgy new flatmate and things spiral downhill from there. I think you would guess this is Danny Boyle’s immediately pre-Trainspotting debut even if you didn’t know, in a good way. Apparently it’s also the writer’s debut, which absolutely doesn’t show. The soundtrack’s alright but is a bit television-synthy and cheap and gives away the low-budget debut nature of it all.

The humour went down well in this cinema screening, getting a better reaction than some comedies I’ve seen this year.

I was surprised to see Christopher Eccleston in this. He’s really good to the point it makes it a bit surprised he wasn’t better in his first year of Doctor Who. He could have just carried forward his performance from this and been great but maybe he overthought it? He would have settled down in his second series like Capaldi but I think based on this he had it in him to be great from the start.

Overall, thought it was great, not a surprise it was followed up with an all-time classic and perhaps a bit of a shame Trainspotting has eclipsed it. ★★★★★
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Early Boyle was so good. Best export my hometown has had.
  • Shallow Grave was ace. Well up for rewatching that now it’s getting anniversary love.
  • Without Remorse, Tom Clancy M.B Jordan movie. Half decent action movie, see everything coming but worth a lazy afternoon or evening watch.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, another thumb up for Shallow Grave and particularly C Ecclestone who is just brilliant..
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The Light is doing Shallow Grave (last screening is Monday) and Trainspotting and Cineworld is doing both of those and 28 Days Later this month (for £5 a ticket at Cineworld) if that helps.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Boy Kills World (2023) - This is a right old mess.

There is a decent portion of good. The occasional piece of humour lands really well and the action is frenetic and enjoyable.

It is outweighed, for me, by the bad. Lots of attempts at humour aren’t really funny, particularly towards the start of the film. It took one of the big laughter moments in my screening before people were willing to trust the movie to actually be laugh-out-loud funny. I think the script is actually quite bad on the whole, to be honest, although not meritless. The film goes out of its way to set itself out as superficial and for laughs only at the start and then attempts to dial that back and become more serious towards the end, which doesn’t (and couldn’t possibly) work.

Overall, very mixed bag tending to bad. I’m not gonna say don’t watch it because the action is good but I’m gonna issue two major caveats:
    * I think it would be weird to watch this without having seen Monkey Man, which is a vaguely similar film from this year that is much better.
    * Go in expecting action and the occasional laugh only and to be tolerant of a good portion of what it attempts not working.
    ★★☆☆☆
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Shallow Grave (1994) - This is good! Why did I not watch this 15 years ago?! Three friends who live in Scotland’s biggest flat recruit a dodgy new flatmate and things spiral downhill from there. I think you would guess this is Danny Boyle’s immediately pre-Trainspotting debut even if you didn’t know, in a good way. Apparently it’s also the writer’s debut, which absolutely doesn’t show. The soundtrack’s alright but is a bit television-synthy and cheap and gives away the low-budget debut nature of it all. The humour went down well in this cinema screening, getting a better reaction than some comedies I’ve seen this year. I was surprised to see Christopher Eccleston in this. He’s really good to the point it makes it a bit surprised he wasn’t better in his first year of Doctor Who. He could have just carried forward his performance from this and been great but maybe he overthought it? He would have settled down in his second series like Capaldi but I think based on this he had it in him to be great from the start. Overall, thought it was great, not a surprise it was followed up with an all-time classic and perhaps a bit of a shame Trainspotting has eclipsed it. ★★★★★

Saw that in the cinema at the time. The way it pivots is excellent.
  • I saw Shallow Grave back in the day too. Been a while but it's always held a soft spot for me. Got onto when my sister went through her Ewan McGregor phase. Not a bad phase to have to sit through as he was in a lot of good stuff back then.
  • Shallow Grave is well worth a revisit - was one of my go to VHS tapes back in the day, almost weekly viewings.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Haven't seen it since it came out and remember nothing about it other than I enjoyed it. Might give it a rewatch this weekend.
  • I remember it being properly good and very dark but also haven't seen it since it come out. Is it on any of the streamers?
  • https://www.justwatch.com/uk/movie/shallow-grave

Says no. Only available to rent on things. May as well order the disc.
  • Not for free. You can rent it on Amazon or Apple.

[Edit: Aye, what Gav said.]
  • Not for free. It's on Apple TV for rent at £3.49
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Another win for dvds in the loft.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fuck streamers.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Another win for piracy.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fuck pirates.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The Eternal Memory (2023) - This Oscar-nominated documentary turned out to be available on iPlayer. This film looks at Chilean video journalist Augusto Góngora, whose work opposed the Pinochet regime, who at the time of filming was suffering from Alzheimer’s disease (the film was released after his death), along with his wife, actress Paulina Urrutia, who is juggling her work with caring for Góngora.

The film immediately got my back up by filming its vulnerable subject in bed and while naked in the shower. I was left pondering the ethical dubiousness of the film throughout the rest of it, particularly as Góngora deteriorates at the end, clearly unable to meaningfully consent to the filming.

While Góngora clearly led an interesting life, his life story comes across as merely mid-tier interesting here. For much of the film, his Alzheimer’s is also conveniently film-friendly, coming across like a real-life version of The Notebook. That Góngora and Urrutia live unusually privileged lives is both a boon and a curse for the film, adding some interest, while taking other interest away.

Overall, I didn’t find this particularly engaging and had mixed feelings about it as a concept. I can definitely understand why this had appeal for a lot of people (slice of life, plus a bit of modern Chilean history, plus a bit of Alzheimer’s) but it wasn’t what I really want out of a documentary. ★★★☆☆
  • I watched In the Land of Saints and Sinners the other night. Really enjoyed it on the whole. I wonder how these kind of films go down in Northern Ireland though.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Megalopolis has a distributor for England that’s being announced on Monday, although apparently the European distributors can’t actually release the film until a distribution deal is sorted for America.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    100th film this year from 100 years ago:

Sherlock Jr. (1924) - Buster Keaton is a cinema projectionist who fancies himself a detective on the side. After getting himself into a scrape, being framed by a love rival for the theft of a watch, Keaton falls sleep at the projector and his fantasies of becoming Sherlock Jr. come to life.

There are lashings of dangerous stunts (at one point I actually, physically gasped because I thought Keaton was going to be crushed by a train car) and impressive editing effects (at one point Keaton jumps into a cinema screen, whereupon scene changes adversely affect him to humorous effect, but are also so well-executed they feel like they could have been produced yesterday not a century ago).

This received a mixed reception at the time and it does feel a little scattershot (most of the film is an actually a film within a dream within a film) but it’s incredibly charming, still technically impressive and just something that wouldn’t be made today - perhaps a rare film that got better with age. Very good, just a more coherent narrative away from top marks. ★★★★☆
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    perhaps a rare film that got better with age.

Like Streets of Fire.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!