Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've tried multiple times.and despise every frame.

Audition bag moment was what drew me in.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message

An all timer.
    Kiri Kiri Kiri
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Here anyone else been on Henry Cavills Instagram. It's fucking next level bananas

#thefinalproject
  • Got quite a few myself, was a wonderful time for obsessive dvd collecting. I haven't seen it for ages but Tale of Two Sisters was one of my favourites. I haven't watched a dvd at home for years, but looking at them still makes me happy.
  • Versus is the bomb. Need to see Re:Born to see if Sakaguchi has still got it.
  • Looking at a list now. Visitor Q, cor blimey.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

An all timer.
    Kiri Kiri Kiri

Still makes me wince.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Weird tangent. My cat is on a particular type of food atm which we have to get from pets at home in costorphine. It's next door to a monster cancer research store that I've been sharking some banging PS2 game from since I've had to go every week.

Today I've just lifted a pile of 7 tartan Asia extreme dvds that I owned 10 years ago when I was doing my dissertation on them. Things like save the green planet, versus, the katakuris, a tale of two sisters and so on.

Was anyone else as into this series as me - like Shiri deep? I want to talk about the rise and fall of that catalogue to someone!

Without Tartan I'd have never got into foreign cinema. Well I would but I'd have been way older.

Was a legit label. Audition and Save the Green Planet were a big part of my life back then.

Then I watched Two Sisters and thought it was shite.

Me too. I still haven't seen them all though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    ...............AI sort of heralded a whole period of Spielberg SciFi movies that are let down by their final act - Minority Report, War of the Worlds. Minority Report ..................

One can't really blame War of the Worlds for its ending. It's the same as the book.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Without Tartan I'd have never got into foreign cinema.

I've quite a bit to thank Tartan for too.  Got me into Bergman - Seventh Seal, Personna etc.

Artifical Eye deserve credit too.
  • Tin probably means the bit with the kid, which was misguided.
  • davyK wrote:
    ...............AI sort of heralded a whole period of Spielberg SciFi movies that are let down by their final act - Minority Report, War of the Worlds. Minority Report ..................
    One can't really blame War of the Worlds for its ending. It's the same as the book.
    Tempy wrote:
    Tin probably means the bit with the kid, which was misguided.

I did.
    Spoiler:
    Having said that, Spielberg has himself said he never could figure out how to end the film, citing Wells' ending as the problem - which rather begs the question of why he did it at all.

I'd also argue that changes he made to the movie actually serve to make Wells' ending weaker anyway.  (Incredibly geeky nitpicking follows...)
    Spoiler:
    (edit: because originally my comments didn't appear for some reason!)
  • Re: second spoiler. It's one of those things that never bothered me as
    Spoiler:
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    HONK if you’re Tempy.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I really liked TOM CRUISE DOES WAR OF THE WORLDS. Thought it was a lovely take on the story.
  • That scene is phenomenal.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I'd have it as one of my favourite SciFi films for sure. Also one of the last films that used trailers and marketing to really tease the audience, I was obsessed with it in the run up to release.
  • I haven't watched it since the first time at the cinema.  I really should give it another go as I've forgotten most things about it.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I've still not seen that.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Rewatched new Mission Impossible cos it's one of the best films of the year
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Tin probably means the bit with the kid, which was misguided.

That's fair comment. Spielberg himself has admitted to being soppy like that as a result of hisd father leaving when he was a kid. I can't really slag him off too much for that.

War of The Worlds is a fine film though. Superb in places.

I'd really have loved Spielberg to have done a Victorian version with steampunk though. Could have made for great battles and with a tweak or two perhaps arrive at a more satisfying conclusion.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Fuckin’ A to that last bit, davy. A period alien invasion would have been amazing, and I desperately wanted it at the time. So I went into Spielberg’s version already disappointed. It’s still an okay film, though, but a missed opportunity in my mind.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Saw They Shall Not Grow Old last night.

Very impressive. There was a recorded Q&A with Jackson shown afterwards which was interesting though he was very nervous and doesn't speak very well in places. The fact that Prince William was in the theatre when it was recorded might have had something to do with it. I'd have thought he was used to speaking in front of a crowd. 

The major impression this left on me was the humanisation of the troops. You could see the faces so crystal clear due to the restoration. And the 24fps work is stunning too.

While the restored footage is superb, the soundwork is equally impressive. Lip readers were used to add dialogue. And the film is stuffed with oral histories from real soldiers of the time. Equally funny and horrific.

It's a bit gruesome in places - lots of corpses etc and some nasty wounds / trenchfoot on view. Knowing it's real really makes it hit home. But - worth seeing.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn. It seemed to me the director was taking the piss out of Wes Anderson, which can only be a good thing. The magical night reveal was great.
  • Did you see The Greasy Strangler, Kow?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No, but I'm going to check it out.
  • Watched Outlaw King, mostly because of the daft number of people I know who were extras or worked on the production side. It’s not bad. I know this is damning with faint praise, but it’s a perfectly okay historical epic. It’s fine. Best thing about it is actually Chris Pine – he’s good in it. The bloke playing The Black Douglas is alright too.
  • It's even madder than Beverly.

Edit: @ Kow

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!