Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • I’m so on board for Detective Pikachu!!
    That trailer was brilliant. And I was wrong about Ryan Reynolds playing the part, just brilliant
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I’ll be honest, Pikachu in a buddy cop film being voiced by Deadpool is not a move I saw coming.
  • I can’t wait.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I have solidified my position on Detective Pikachu

tenor.gif
  • Which is?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Solidified.
  • I was hoping the gif was a clue
  • The one thing about Detective Pikachu is that it seems to get close to being ted (capital knockers, whoop whoop, shake it baby etc) but obviously won’t do that which creates a coginitive jarring.
  • Someone should make a nodding Jack plushie for cars.
  • Man I did not expect Detective Pikachu to look so damn good
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    jdanielp wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    For me They Shall Not Grow Old is probably the most powerful piece of cinema I’ve ever seen. I’m just speechless
    Speechless is the word, I think. It’s the closest I’ve yet come to even slightly comprehending the horror of that war. It was a harrowing, riveting piece of work.
    I'll have to catch up with this on iPlayer. In retrospect I shouldn't have watched The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, which was underwhelming, and headed home after Overlord to watch this instead.

It was excellent and amazingly well made in all its horror, humanity and humour. Two things struck me:

The very varied responses from those who fought. Not everyone thought it was a jolly war and not everyone was horrified, a real range of human emotions that I did not expect. 

The response when the troops who survived got home. It just confirms my feeling that a lot of people glorify the old days, those rose tinted Empire glasses definitely drop down the nose a bit when you hear how the heroes were really treated.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've just watched it as well. It was impeccably made, but one bit did get a laugh from me (intentional)
    Spoiler:
    Actually a really powerful moment in that most of these guys were young kids and that's the kind of thing they'd do. Very impressive.
  • I am all in on Detective Pikachu. That looked fantastic.
  • Slightly freaked at how uncanny valley fluffy they've made them all but sign me the fuck up.
  • Hahaha, that looks brilliant! And I hate Pokémon!
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Actually that Pikachu film has a chance. Watched the trailer in spite of myself. It's a nice take on it.

Afraid that the trailer will be the best part of it.   :/
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That Pikachu thing is fucking nightmare fuel, don't know what some of you are thinking about.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's a Ted variant with some Dr Dolittle on the side.

I can't see me watching it all the way through but I can see it doing well.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Fuck Ted, and fuck Defective Pikachu
  • The Fog was good, suitably eerie. Just Escape From New York to go and that's the end of this jolly old run down carpenter memory lane.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • b0r1s wrote:
    jdanielp wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    For me They Shall Not Grow Old is probably the most powerful piece of cinema I’ve ever seen. I’m just speechless
    Speechless is the word, I think. It’s the closest I’ve yet come to even slightly comprehending the horror of that war. It was a harrowing, riveting piece of work.
    I'll have to catch up with this on iPlayer. In retrospect I shouldn't have watched The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, which was underwhelming, and headed home after Overlord to watch this instead.
    It was excellent and amazingly well made in all its horror, humanity and humour. Two things struck me: The very varied responses from those who fought. Not everyone thought it was a jolly war and not everyone was horrified, a real range of human emotions that I did not expect.  The response when the troops who survived got home. It just confirms my feeling that a lot of people glorify the old days, those rose tinted Empire glasses definitely drop down the nose a bit when you hear how the heroes were really treated.
    The bit when they got home was the most shocking to me.
    Especially after the guilt to sign up that was mentioned at the beginning.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • It was just how the soldiers said they didn’t see the point in any of it, the senselessness of it all. The scenes with the captured German soldiers and the talk about how they were actually “pretty decent chaps” just made me cry.
    It’s absolutely heartbreaking how we appear to have learned nothing from any of it
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Watched Eighth Grade tonight. A bit short and possibly missing something but it captures that awkwardness of being that age well and doesn't try to sugar-coat it.
  • Jesus that looks utterly dreadful.

More than a whiff of the Garfield Movie except it doesn't even have the good sense of having Bill Murray in it. 

What a waste. Why not just do a straight up Pokemon film?
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Tired - Toy Story 4 Wired - Detective Pikachu
    truth
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Watched The Ritual - wasn't what I was expecting at all. Quite enjoyed it though.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Watched that last night as well. And, yeah, same.

Also The Invitation a couple of nights ago. Thought that was decent too.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    jdanielp wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    It was excellent and amazingly well made in all its horror, humanity and humour. Two things struck me: The very varied responses from those who fought. Not everyone thought it was a jolly war and not everyone was horrified, a real range of human emotions that I did not expect.  The response when the troops who survived got home. It just confirms my feeling that a lot of people glorify the old days, those rose tinted Empire glasses definitely drop down the nose a bit when you hear how the heroes were really treated.
    The bit when they got home was the most shocking to me.
    Especially after the guilt to sign up that was mentioned at the beginning.

My wife's grandfather was an infantry capt and fought in the second world war. He was shot in the leg on D Day in the hills over looking the beach by a German sniper. When he returned from the war he was refused entry to university because he now had a disability.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!