Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • poprock wrote:
    Watched Outlaw King, mostly because of the daft number of people I know who were extras or worked on the production side. It’s not bad. I know this is damning with faint praise, but it’s a perfectly okay historical epic. It’s fine. Best thing about it is actually Chris Pine – he’s good in it. The bloke playing The Black Douglas is alright too.

Aa I keep saying, he’s a good lad!

Scout wrote:
    Did you see The Greasy Strangler, Kow?

I’ve seen that, not really convinced TBH

davyK wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Tin probably means the bit with the kid, which was misguided.

That's fair comment. Spielberg himself has admitted to being soppy like that as a result of hisd father leaving when he was a kid. I can't really slag him off too much for that.

War of The Worlds is a fine film though. Superb in places

Yup, it’s got some exceptional moments, I really love it though, I’m glad they went modern in the end, I think it really works. Of course the whole “they’re already here!” taps into the terrorist fear thing, and i’m surprised invasion films didn’t remain popular given the current political climate.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Re: second spoiler. It's one of those things that never bothered me as
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

I love it.
  • @ Tempy re Greasy Strangler

I'm not entirely convinced with his work either but did enjoy Greasy and Beverly Luff Lynn. But I couldn't help thinking (while watching Beverly) that he was starting to feel a bit one-trick. I'm interested to see what he does next.
  • Arrival arrived on UK Netflix today, for anyone who’s not seen it yet.

So did Rogue One, which is definitely the best of the recent Star Wars movies.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Incredibles 2 was a decent follow up to the first. The animation tech has obviously moved on so much, but I thought they lost the style of the first movie by making so much of the surroundings look so hyper real.
    Things can only get better.
  • Just jumping in late to say that I FUCKING THE LOVE TOM CRUISE WAR OF WORLDS.

The first half of the film had some really nice shots and the sequence where the tripods first emerge and then fuck everyone's shit up is just great.

Ride the lightning motherfucker, etc.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • They Shall Not Grow Old will be essential viewing on BBC2 at 9.30pm tonight
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Also I loved Tom Cruises WOTW
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I watched WotW again this afternoon, after all the chat. I had forgotten how many utterly unconvincing outdoors studio shots there were. Kinda drags you out of an otherwise great film. The Tim Robbins sequence is particularly good.
  • Yeah, as a film it's a real mixed bag.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Overlord was pretty intense. One that might actually benefit from 4DX. Double-billing with the Nutcracker and the Four Realms obviously.
  • Another one for WotW here.

The first third is just classic Spielberg. It oozes atmosphere and tension. 

It's not perfect. Robbins is bobbins and as good as he is, trying to cast Cruise as an everyman is never going to completely work. 

But its still great.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    But they do play on the fears of a parent very well. That and the extermination of our species. Think it goes downhill after the Ferry scene which is a bit of a shame.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    WotW is Spielberg's best film, then Schindler's, Jaws and Duel with the rest a big bag of meh, albeit enjoyable meh
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Also watched A Fantastic Woman tonight. That's a good movie.
  • WotW is Spielberg's best film, then Schindler's, Jaws and Duel with the rest a big bag of meh, albeit enjoyable meh

Er...A.I?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Is fucking terrible aye.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The first section is great then it turns to shit as soon as Jude Law appears. It's not his fault, that's just when it turns to shit.
  • For me They Shall Not Grow Old is probably the most powerful piece of cinema I’ve ever seen.
    I’m just speechless
  • Duel

YAS BIG MAN. 

I first saw Duel late at night as a teenager on Bravo or Sci-fi or something and I swear down, it was the tensest thing I'd ever seen in my young life. Blew my fucking mind that it was spielberg at the time after only really being aware of jurassic park, ET and whatever he was doing producing Indiana Jones.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I saw Duel as a kid but I'm sure it was called something else. Might have had a different name in Europe.
  • Fracas?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Juggernaut, maybe.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Can't find any reference to it. Must have dreamed it.
  • The truck that couldn’t slow down?
  • The truck that couldn’t slow down?

Speed?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Truckasuarus?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • We watched Outlaw King tonight.  Started off very well but didn't keep up the quality at all I thought, which was a real shame.
    Spoiler:
  • Jaws is is my favourite film, rented a cinema screen to show it at the start of my stag do.  He's directed plenty of other good films but whatever I'd pick next would be a distant second.  Raiders, maybe.
  • poprock wrote:
    Arrival arrived on UK Netflix today, for anyone who’s not seen it yet.

Ello.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!