Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Andy wrote:
    It’s a fucking awful film.

I loved it.

Exactly.

Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • poprock wrote:
    This came up in a Google search for something completely different, but … there actually is going to be a Big Lebowski sequel. Sort of. A spin-off, anyway. Going Places. John Turturro has been pushing for years to make a spin-off movie starring himself as The Jesus. And it’s actually happened. He’s the writer, director and star, and it also features Audrey Tatou and Susan Sarandon. It’s a remake of Going Places, a ’70s French comedy … but it’s been altered to make it a Big Lebowski spin-off. It’s genuinely due for release this year, after hanging around the festival circuit for ages looking for distribution. MV5BMWIyZTM5MzktNzFiZi00NjdhLTk0ZmUtZTc4NWQ1NzU3ZWE4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1MTc3ODI@._V1_.jpg
    So, what, a wacky comedy about a guy trying to recover from his addiction to exposing himself to 8-year-olds?
  • Geez The Predator is a weird one. Considering Shane Black's pedigree you can't help but feel like something happened in the edit or something to properly fuck this up. The music is shite and bog standard, the pace is all over the place, the effects are terrible, the character stuff is uneven. All things that Black has shown to be able to pull off well previously.

Also why is Olivia Munn's character all action Jackson and stuff? Isn't she a scientist.
  • I got as far as the introductions on the bus.
    A " tourettes lolz" character? Really?
    No thanks.
  • Tried to watch that last night, utter utter garbage.

Thank god Venom turned out to decent: looking forward to the sequel.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Tonight we watched Contagion. Haven’t seen it since initial release. Forgotten what a cracking film it is. Damon on excellent ‘every man’ form. Not sure anyone but Hanksdoes it better. Highly recommend if you’ve not seen it.
  • I've not seen it - the concept is too terrifying!

Today I watched Aquaman. After being very pleasantly surprised by Justice League and enjoying 2/3 of Wonder Woman I had, if not high hopes, then the thought that I'd be getting at least a good Sunday afternoon action romp.

What I actually got was an absolute tyre fire of a film that went from amusing to bad to high camp to awful to so bad its good then back to astonishingly terrible. There's almost nothing good about it, save some quite inventive action set piece concepts which the director fails to make worth while. It reminded me a lot of the worst of the early comic book and video game adaptations, except on an astronomical budget - right down to the terrible costumes.

How can a film look both big budget with astonishing VFX AND cheap as chips 80s straight to video (often in the same scene)? How can big name actors, with dozens of years of experience under their belts, read lines like they've never even seen the English language before? Who wrote these lines? Was it an actual fish? If so it was in the wrong plaice at the wrong time - nearly every joke fails to land and, OH GOD THE EXPOSITION.
    How do 2 superheroes with entirely water based powers get from the middle of the Sahara to Scicily in 1 day? Why is this film 5 days long?

Awful awful awful shite.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • JonB wrote:
    So, what, a wacky comedy about a guy trying to recover from his addiction to exposing himself to 8-year-olds?

Tbf I'd watch that.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • The Book of Henry. I wanted to see this after hearing about how bad it was, and how it seemed to effectively destroy Trevorrow's directing career.
    It's not great, but the biggest problem I have with it is that Naomi Watts' character (when playing Gears of War) mentions, "levelling up", which EVERYBODY knows you don't do in Gears.
  • Jaco wrote:
    Tonight we watched Contagion. Haven’t seen it since initial release. Forgotten what a cracking film it is. Damon on excellent ‘every man’ form. Not sure anyone but Hanksdoes it better. Highly recommend if you’ve not seen it.

When I saw that in the cinema there was a moment in which a guy sat two rows behind me started coughing.
    I’ve never seen a cinema full of people look so disgusted at and frightened by one person in my life.
    Someone even moved to be away from him.

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    I've not seen it - the concept is too terrifying!

Today I watched Aquaman. After being very pleasantly surprised by Justice League and enjoying 2/3 of Wonder Woman I had, if not high hopes, then the thought that I'd be getting at least a good Sunday afternoon action romp.

What I actually got was an absolute tyre fire of a film that went from amusing to bad to high camp to awful to so bad its good then back to astonishingly terrible. There's almost nothing good about it, save some quite inventive action set piece concepts which the director fails to make worth while. It reminded me a lot of the worst of the early comic book and video game adaptations, except on an astronomical budget - right down to the terrible costumes.

How can a film look both big budget with astonishing VFX AND cheap as chips 80s straight to video (often in the same scene)? How can big name actors, with dozens of years of experience under their belts, read lines like they've never even seen the English language before? Who wrote these lines? Was it an actual fish? If so it was in the wrong plaice at the wrong time - nearly every joke fails to land and, OH GOD THE EXPOSITION.
    How do 2 superheroes with entirely water based powers get from the middle of the Sahara to Scicily in 1 day? Why is this film 5 days long?

Awful awful awful shite.

That's a shame.
  • Aquaman is a mess for sure. YMMV depending on how much you want to switch your brain off.
    Grem says a lot of true things. Some effects are great some are woeful. Some costumes are great, most look like they're throw aways from the Power Rangers TV show. There's way too much expositional dialogue that's actually for the audience. There's that Africa cover song. There's a bad guy that comes and goes from the film.

But, switch your brain to 0 and you might have some fun. I mean there's Julie Andrews as a giant sea monster and also a talking crab thing and people riding sharks and terrible de-aging effects and a horror sequence and a terrible romance sequence and an average Indiana Jones sequence and.........
  • But it's still better than The Predator.
  • How DARE you speak ill of MR WORLDWIDE
  • I had to Google that to see that it's Pitbull. He should be ashamed of himself.

The redlettermedia of The Predator is worth a watch. Breaks down the terrible pretty well. Talks about the reshoots and stuff. Apparently there originally was a squad of friendly predators in tanks and stuff. Even that would have been more interesting.
  • JonB wrote:
    Tbf I'd watch that.

8 Year olds Dude.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched Open Range last night.  Good old yarn and a superb cast. I'm quite the Costner fanboy and this did that status no harm at all.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    Watched Open Range last night.  Good old yarn and a superb cast. I'm quite the Costner fanboy and this did that status no harm at all.

It’s a great film - a proper old-fashioned Western. And that final gunfight is mega.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gorgeous scenery too - hard to think of a Western that looks greener.
  • It’s fabulous. In my top 5 westerns. And I really love westerns...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not sure how many of you know about or have watched Claude Lanzmann's Shoah - a 9hr documentary about the Holocaust. It's a relentless assault on the viewer, both content and length-wise though any of the usual contemporary horror shots are absent comprising entirely of interviews alternating between talking heads and long shots of the sites 30 years after the events. It is a magnificent piece of work and despite its length is the product of editing 100s of hours of footage.

Lanzmann made 4 other films from unused footage -I consider them appendices to Shoah. Have been watching them over the last week or two. They consist of the same format and have another 7hrs of gruelling content; mainly around the "model" ghetto that was used for propaganda purposes though there is also an account of an uprising in Sobibor.

As in Shoah, the looks on these peoples' faces at times tell far more of the horror than the now well known images associated with the Holocaust.

Not for entertainment of course. But recommended.
  • Aquaman is a mess for sure. YMMV depending on how much you want to switch your brain off.
    Grem says a lot of true things. Some effects are great some are woeful. Some costumes are great, most look like they're throw aways from the Power Rangers TV show. There's way too much expositional dialogue that's actually for the audience. There's that Africa cover song. There's a bad guy that comes and goes from the film.

But, switch your brain to 0 and you might have some fun. I mean there's Julie Andrews as a giant sea monster and also a talking crab thing and people riding sharks and terrible de-aging effects and a horror sequence and a terrible romance sequence and an average Indiana Jones sequence and.........

Oh god, the music. It aims for GotG and misses so badly that it shoots itself in the dick. There are some truly diabolical 'metal' guitar riffs that punctuate some of the one liners and even a few comedy 'wah, wah, waaaah' stings. Woeful. The action scenes totally reminded me of the Power Rangers TV series - the Black Mamba (not a typo) costume is, whilst true to the comics, utterly ludicrous.

Momoa is also a charmless cunt, whilst Amber Heards wig appears to have a life of its own.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I see where the Power Rangers stuff is coming from now:

220px-BlackMantaMovie.jpeg

Blimey.
  • Black Mamba (not a typo) ((definitely a typo))
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yeah I thought I'd missed a joke there.
  • You should see him fighting in it, it's so stupid.
  • If you think that costume is bad Paul, wait till you see some of the others...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Really? I'm back to looking forward to it now, sounds great.
  • Really? I'm back to looking forward to it now, sounds great.

You will think that fleetingly a some point during the film, its a bit of a roller-coaster.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!