Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Titanic 2, an alternate future where Jack lost the card game at the beginning and never got on the boat. The film charts his future as a bum roaming the streets of Southampton telling everyone how he cheated death and can they spare some change for a cup of tea?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    Titanic 2, an alternate future where Jack lost the card game at the beginning and never got on the boat. The film charts his future as a bum roaming the streets of Southampton telling everyone how he cheated death and can they spare some change for a cup of tea?

Titanic 2 has already been made
  • Fuck.

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    its real good
  • Make me fink they would have done the sequel back in the day if that was the case.

Each to their own tho. I'm conscious I sound like a buyer old twat when really I just want new ideas to be given more time/attention.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    I'm conscious I sound like a buyer old twat when really I just want new ideas to be given more time/attention.

They are, you've just gotta look a little more afield than AAA and MAHVEL/STAR WARS stuff
  • Coen Brothers cinematic universe innit.

A fully grown Arizona, played by George Clooney, spills something on the Dude's rug and takes it to the dry cleaners, The Dude, played by George Cloony, thinks it's been stolen and hires an assassin with a silenced shotgun to hunt it down. George Clooney stars.
  • Sometimes writers have ideas and come back to them a lot later, especially for characters they are fond of. It’s not exactly unheard of for a creative voice to talk about a character they created decades ago being something they’ve kept thinking about as time goes on, it’s just not all of them do the J. K. Rowling thing of tweeting about them constantly. Heck, I still think back to stories I wrote when I was a teen.
  • I’ve got no beef with sequels or late sequels. I’d just like them to be good.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Titanic 2, an alternate future where Jack lost the card game at the beginning and never got on the boat. The film charts his future as a bum roaming the streets of Southampton telling everyone how he cheated death and can they spare some change for a cup of tea?
    Titanic 2 has already been made

Explains why avatar 2 has taken so long,
    The Forum Herald™
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Coen Brothers cinematic universe innit.

A fully grown Arizona, played by George Clooney, spills something on the Dude's rug and takes it to the dry cleaners, The Dude, played by George Cloony, thinks it's been stolen and hires an assassin with a silenced shotgun to hunt it down. George Clooney stars.

Genius. I bet you could get Netflix to green light this.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Roujin wrote:
    I'm conscious I sound like a buyer old twat when really I just want new ideas to be given more time/attention.
    They are, you've just gotta look a little more afield than AAA and MAHVEL/STAR WARS stuff

I'm aware those films are out there, but imho those films should get more attention, there's a whole load of great stuff that deserves more attention than it gets because of stuff like this. 

IMHO, ymmv, etc. 

Apologies for being "that guy" right about now.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Just watch the other stuff, it’s what I do, hence the stuff I watched in the Movie log thread.
  • When it came out, The Big Lebowski absolutely was that other stuff. Nowhere near the mainstream.
  • That has the stink of a Super Bowl cash in commercial all over it. I wouldn’t worry.

Plus have the Coens ever done a sequel?
  • Don’t think they have, no.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/03/bryan-singers-accusers-speak-out/580462/ After seeing An Open Secret, I've waited for this moment to come. Vile person.

That's a grim read.

Especially more so now its came out he'll keep his job at the helm of Red Sonja, despite this piece. Sigh.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/bryan-singer-keep-red-sonja-directing-gig-new-accusers-speak-1178785#click=https://t.co/slU43l6ptn
  • Fucking hell they are doing Red Sonja as well?
  • Just watched The Girl with All The Gifts over on that there Amazon Prime, somewhat interesting take on the zombie genre. Actually it has some similarites to I Am Legend (the original novel) in that
    Spoiler:

Scrolled down to see some of the reviews, curious to know what people made of it, and saw this which is probably the best customer review I've seen thus far -
    I write this immediately after finishing the film, I'm still thinking about it now; it's a superb concept - I recommend you give it your full attention.

There's plenty of "zombie crap" post The Walking Dead (even more if we include the reboot/rehash craze at the moment, zombies and super-hero/comic books surely approach or exceed 70% of stuff) - and at first I feared this was another of the weird things from the depths of youtube that'd found it's way onto Amazon Prime.

This is a superb take, backed by a superb cast; I wont include anything hear that that could spoil it - but as the icon has the silhouette of a little girl: don't worry about the child actor thing - she was outstanding.

It's nice to see a fungus represented in the "zombie" arena, usually it's a virus (which has become a stand-in for bacteria if it's ever mentioned) and while there's no technical reason why not, bacteria show relatively few cases of "host control" when they alter the behaviour or structure of what they inhabit. There are plenty of example of symbiosis but not "hijacking something living for their own ends" (for example root nodules)

If I may elaborate further: viruses are much smaller than bacteria and more like machines than things that live. They *require* a suitable host to reproduce but there are not really any phases other than "dormant" (floating around waiting to be activated and to hijack animal (us too) cells) and active. There's a good debate around whether or not viruses count as life (7 life processes from year 7 anyone? Argument for another time!)
    Rabies is the classic example of behaviour altering virus/

Fungi however have distinct phases to their lifetime and can be massive and multi-celled (viruses not even being a cell) forms which differentiate to do different things; and thus be much more complicated in how they hijack those living; and I recognised the name of the fungus used here as one that is well studied and hijacks ants. Even giving it a layer of physical protection of a hard shell. I wont bore the reader who got this far by trying to measure "degree of hijacking" with rabies causing extreme thirst, salivation and aggression vs the behaviour of the ant. In truth they're probably similar.

What I like about this is that the fungus has a life cycle.

It's hard to say much without spoiling it (so I will say little) but the story is superbly told. There are things which could have been "played up" more to really spell out the the thoughts it attempts to invoke, but it skilfully resists doing so - if anything leaving you wanting more.

Thinking about it now I realise that perhaps their absence was reasonable in certain places given the situations of the characters (that statement is deliberately vague! No spoiling it is my goal here)

I really don't know what else to say without risking spoiling it; but it was truly a treat to get to watch it the first time - I'm sad because I know it'll have so little re-watch value. It's just given me a lot to think about - which I like. I'd loved to have seen this with friends at a cinema purely for the bickering that happens as you walk out with them.

So to sum up:
    * I really like the "more realistic" texture this has RE the "plague"/"infection" - we can measure this somewhat in "conservation of energy-ness" with The Walking Dead (I stopped watching years ago. The prison series with "The Governor" was my last) with their entropy-defying energy-factory zombies that can decay and still move.
    * Great cast, great actors - even the little girl; gotta leave it there for spoiler's sake.
    * Great visuals - I actually recognised at least one of the city shots as whatever that city is near Chernobyl (it was evacuated) - so we get to see "real city reclamation", the areas where the city couldn't be substituted for a Ukrainian-unless-Russia-Annexed-That-Too look great too.

The only thing I have to say about this is (as a film) is the subtitle quality is particularly poor - I've found sometimes I miss bits of dialogue and generally follow better with them on; despite this I noticed tonnes of incorrect (nonsensical - as in "that doesn't make any sense" - so I'm guessing "AI" did it) subtitles. I'd hate to actually be deaf.

PS: CHAINLINK FENCES - REALLY?!?!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The Girl With All The Gifts is overlong by just that one final scene. I also found the quality of the film to be quite uneven, with the film only really shining in its quieter moments.
    Get schwifty.
  • I enjoyed the book gVe up on the film
    The Forum Herald™
  • I knew nothing about it going in, just made myself settle on something so I wasn't expecting too much.  Enjoyed it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Film started good, got bad, ended shit.
  • The Fellowship of The Ring.

Watched this the other day for the first time in a while. I love the books, loved the films when they came out, got the various editions etc., but I do find them quite frustrating to watch, so this will prob just end up as a bit of a rant. When the tempo is up, or when the actors are just allowed to get to work, it's amazing...but there's so much really heavy handed 'foreshadowing' (not sure that's the right word for it) and attempts to generate emotion.
    Firstly, the over use of slow motion gets right on my tits. Whether people are meeting each other, announcing they're going for a walk, or Frodo pretending to be dead yet again, it's all done in slow motion.
    They also seem to slow down some of the vocals for Arwen and Galadriel which just sounds naff - it's much better when they talk normally.
    Speaking of Galadriel, I find the FX when she 'turns' into the dark queen absolutely awful.
    There must be at least half a dozen lingering close ups of the ring in frodo's hand - did they worry people would forget what the ring looked like?
    Anytime someone is talking and says something like "someone might be dodgy" you can guarantee a close up of the person they're talking about. Basically any time there could be a bit of mystery or ambiguity, the way it's edited make it's all very obvious immediately.

That being said, Fellowship sticks in my mind as my favourite of the three films. The complaints above generally apply to the others too, plus the sequels rely more on ever larger CGI battles which don't interest me as much. For me the peak of the series is the battle with the Urukhai at the end of Fellowship, with that sweeping camera shot moving through the forest.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The whole LotR trilogy is godawful.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The whole LotR trilogy is godawful.

The theatrical releases were okay, but the Director's Cuts are where it's at. Genuinely brilliant cinema. I have issues with the Two Towers as it takes some serious liberties with the book's plot, but on the whole I think Jackson did brilliantly well. Many considered LoTR unfilmable, he proved it wasn't.

Still not a patch on the book though, natch.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I would rather cut my own legs off than sit through an even longer version of those terrible and already stupidly long films.
  • LoTR trilogy is great. Hobbit can fuck off though.
  • Haven't seen the Hobbit films. Taking a book that's about as long as the first half of 'Fellowship' and stretching it out over 3 films is a teriible idea. Even if they did back-fill with stuff from the LoTR appendices. I'd rather just have the extended LoTR films and enjoy those.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • The Daddy wrote:
    LoTR trilogy is great. Hobbit can fuck off though.

I can’t really say that there’s anything intrinsically bad about the Hobbit films, it’s just that I wasn’t interested. LotR was proper event cinema. Loved the three movies. But the Hobbit trilogy was just … more of the same but not quite as good. A tribute, or something. Too much.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!