Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Jaco wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    The whole LotR trilogy is godawful.
    The theatrical releases were okay, but the Director's Cuts are where it's at. Genuinely brilliant cinema. I have issues with the Two Towers as it takes some serious liberties with the book's plot, but on the whole I think Jackson did brilliantly well. Many considered LoTR unfilmable, he proved it wasn't. Still not a patch on the book though, natch.
    Pretty sure that Jackson himself said that the theatrical releases should be viewed as the 'directors cut', and the others are 'extended' editions for fans that want more stuff...rather than treating the extended ones as the 'better' version.

From what i remember, I liked the extra bit at the beginning of Fellowship in the extended ones, otherwise all I remember was even more slow-mo bits, especially at the end of Return of the King!

I still think they're pretty great achievements overall, just some quibbles and veering too much into action war films in the latter ones. Plus they should have got James Earl Jones to do the voice of Treebeard.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Watched Upgrade. What a great film.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Pretty sure that Jackson himself said that the theatrical releases should be viewed as the 'directors cut', and the others are 'extended' editions for fans that want more stuff...rather than treating the extended ones as the 'better' version.

Probably. They are better though. Significantly so for fans of the books.
    Plus they should have got James Earl Jones to do the voice of Treebeard.

Yes.

And The Old Forest should have been in it (not just the Old Man Willow nod in Two Towers). And Tom Bombadil should have been Brian Blessed. Obviously.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I loved the books but Tom Bombadil can get to fuck. So can Brian Blessed for that matter so can't argue with your casting.
  • Cosby wrote:
    I loved the books but Tom Bombadil can get to fuck. So can Brian Blessed for that matter so can't argue with your casting.

A pox upon your house.
  • This came up in a Google search for something completely different, but … there actually is going to be a Big Lebowski sequel. Sort of. A spin-off, anyway. Going Places.

John Turturro has been pushing for years to make a spin-off movie starring himself as The Jesus. And it’s actually happened. He’s the writer, director and star, and it also features Audrey Tatou and Susan Sarandon. It’s a remake of Going Places, a ’70s French comedy … but it’s been altered to make it a Big Lebowski spin-off. It’s genuinely due for release this year, after hanging around the festival circuit for ages looking for distribution.

MV5BMWIyZTM5MzktNzFiZi00NjdhLTk0ZmUtZTc4NWQ1NzU3ZWE4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1MTc3ODI@._V1_.jpg
  • That is... surprising.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    It’s genuinely due for release this year, after hanging around the festival circuit for ages looking for distribution.

That all sounds crazy but the last bit in particular surely doesn't bode well?
  • Turturro and Sarandon have been in some absolute stinkers over the years...
  • poprock wrote:
    This came up in a Google search for something completely different, but … there actually is going to be a Big Lebowski sequel. Sort of. A spin-off, anyway. Going Places.

John Turturro has been pushing for years to make a spin-off movie starring himself as The Jesus. And it’s actually happened. He’s the writer, director and star, and it also features Audrey Tatou and Susan Sarandon. It’s a remake of Going Places, a ’70s French comedy … but it’s been altered to make it a Big Lebowski spin-off. It’s genuinely due for release this year, after hanging around the festival circuit for ages looking for distribution.

MV5BMWIyZTM5MzktNzFiZi00NjdhLTk0ZmUtZTc4NWQ1NzU3ZWE4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1MTc3ODI@._V1_.jpg
    Jesus.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Jaco wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    The whole LotR trilogy is godawful.
    The theatrical releases were okay, but the Director's Cuts are where it's at. Genuinely brilliant cinema. I have issues with the Two Towers as it takes some serious liberties with the book's plot, but on the whole I think Jackson did brilliantly well. Many considered LoTR unfilmable, he proved it wasn't. Still not a patch on the book though, natch.
    Pretty sure that Jackson himself said that the theatrical releases should be viewed as the 'directors cut', and the others are 'extended' editions for fans that want more stuff...rather than treating the extended ones as the 'better' version.

He's absolutely chock full of shite then. The extra bits aren't just bits of disposable guff, they're some of the better scenes in the whole shebang. Stuff like Saruman's death, the Mouth of Sauron etc. are top scenes.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    So much for nobody fucking with the Jesus. I will admit to being intrigued, nevertheless.
  • Quite liked the films. They don't held up too well. Far better than the books though - Very poor by the standards of fantasy today. No doubting the influence but... Ew. Not for me.
  • I started watching that Fyre thing the other night, and intend to go back to it, but by fuck I had to turn it off after 20 mins; just didn't want to spend my evening in the company of utter cunts, only to then have to see the innocent folk fucked over.
  • Yeah it's quite depressing.
    The customers I'm not fussed about, bunch of spoilt frat kids.

Is the local staff who didn't get paid that irks me.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I started watching that Fyre thing the other night, and intend to go back to it, but by fuck I had to turn it off after 20 mins; just didn't want to spend my evening in the company of utter cunts, only to then have to see the innocent folk fucked over.

I've heard that the lady that ran the restaurant, who paid her staff out of her own savings has had a go fund me (or something similar) started for her since the documentary came out, and it has already achieved its target.

Not sure on the truth of that but I hope it is.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I started watching that Fyre thing the other night, and intend to go back to it, but by fuck I had to turn it off after 20 mins; just didn't want to spend my evening in the company of utter cunts, only to then have to see the innocent folk fucked over.
    I've heard that the lady that ran the restaurant, who paid her staff out of her own savings has had a go fund me (or something similar) started for her since the documentary came out, and it has already achieved its target. Not sure on the truth of that but I hope it is.

Yeah I heard this also, glad that she got sorted.

Re. the customers, I'm all for hating on frat kids but I imagine a bunch of them were also fairly normal and spent a lot of money to go to something they saw as aspirational and a once-in-a-lifetime thing. I just didn't want to sit though the organisers and Ja-fucking-Rule being utter twats then having to watch how it impacted the islanders and customers.

I'll revisit at some point.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Plenty of the party goers are cunts though, although you won't get that bit till the end of the film really. Omg this is like economy class or something.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Jaco wrote:

Probably. They are better though. Significantly so for fans of the books.
    Plus they should have got James Earl Jones to do the voice of Treebeard.

Yes.

And The Old Forest should have been in it (not just the Old Man Willow nod in Two Towers). And Tom Bombadil should have been Brian Blessed. Obviously.

Jim dropping truthbombs all over the place.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Quite liked the films. They don't held up too well. Far better than the books though - Very poor by the standards of fantasy today. No doubting the influence but... Ew. Not for me.

You’re dead to me.
    Get schwifty.
  • Bombadil is trippy, hippy bollocks and it was wise to leave it out.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Absolutely, but as an ultrafan I still would have loved to see an attempt.
    Get schwifty.
  • Just watched IO on Netflix. Good Lord, what a shocker. Terrible, awful, nonsensical film. A great premise wasted with a diabolical script and poor acting. Thinks it’s way more intelligent and profound than it is. Avoid like a plague-riddled Nazi.

Score: 1 boringly portentous speech out of 1,000.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Also on Netflix, Polar was an odd mix. The humour is hit and miss and there's a nasty streak running through it, but the action was great. Good bit of casting with Mads, terrible bit of casting with Matt Lucas. Enjoyed it overall, it's better than both John Wicks.
  • Second Netflix flick of the night - The Great Wall. Matt Damon fights weird monsters on feudal China.

By any objective measure it’s terrible. It’s also brilliant because it knows it’s hokum.

7 green-blooded lizard thingamabobs out of 10.
  • Jaco wrote:
    Second Netflix flick of the night - The Great Wall. Matt Damon fights weird monsters on feudal China.

By any objective measure it’s terrible. It’s also brilliant because it knows it’s hokum.

7 green-blooded lizard thingamabobs out of 10.

Just finished a heavy night in work and that sounds right up my street.

SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah I might give that a shot. Didn't realising was monster stupid shit. I thought it was just bad historical shit.
  • It’s utter rubbish and also compellingly wonderful. It makes no sense but it’s visually fab.
  • It’s a fucking awful film.

I loved it.
  • Might whack it on while working on Monday.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!