Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • I saw pulp fiction again last week. When it’s good it’s really good but hearing QT talk about dead n word storage is such a fucking bum note now.
  • Really couldn't get into Jackie Brown. Di Nero's character was completely unlovable (even in a 'love to hate' way) and Samuel L Jackson's pony tail was flatly ridiculous. The lead actress was a tad underwhelming too.

I still say if he would have taken the best bits out of Kill Bill part 1 and Kill Bill part 2 and just used them to make just one Kill Bill film, we would have been sorted.

The Hateful 8 was a great return to form, almost recapturing the glory days of Pulp\Dogs.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • davyK wrote:
    Kill Bill was great in places but there just seemed to be something missing.
    I think he indulged his influences too much with Kill Bill.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I saw pulp fiction again last week. When it’s good it’s really good but hearing QT talk about dead n word storage is such a fucking bum note now.

Would have been better if he was more in the background if he wanted to be on screen at all. There are actors who could have carried it off better.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Kill Bill was great in places but there just seemed to be something missing.
    I think he indulged his influences too much with Kill Bill.

Yeah. Too much. I remember Q stating in an interview that he wanted it to have a surfeit of content to meet the desire he had when he first started watching films - sucking up double features of old Kurosawa films.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    The latter two owe an awful lot to Christoph Waltz who is superb.

That's a bingo!
  • His later stuff is increasingly in need of some one to edit him.
    The Forum Herald™
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I still like most of his output. The early stuff was better, Pulp Fiction is great as is Jackie Brown.
    Kill Bill didnt really do it for me, neither did Hateful 8 but then I quite like Bastards and Django.

Whatevs, his movies are at least different to others out there even if he has become samey himself. I mean, it's 9 movies across nearly 30 years, hardly worth the eye rolling.

edit: 10 movies I guess as Kill Bill was split.

Mostly this for me, although I enjoyed Hateful 8.

I drifted away thanks to the Kill Bills, which I disliked at the time. Then I watched them again maybe five years ago and realised that they're very enjoyable films despite not being the sort of thing I'd like him to make. Then I applied that logic to the rest of his output and I'm fine with him again. Nothing touches Reservoir Dogs but even Deathproof isn't dodgy enough to hate.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I drifted away thanks to the Kill Bills, which I disliked at the time.

Same, although I haven't gone back to them but did watch everything subsequently until Hateful 8.
  • I don't think his films have aged very well tbh, as someone else said, the dialogue is no longer original and groundbreaking, it's annoying and yappy. It's telling that Jackie Brown's the film of his I'd watch first now, and that's the only one (okay other than Dogs) that he didn't come up with himself?

I'm not saying that all his other films are bad, Dogs and PF are still good, but they've lost a lot over time and feel very 90s now.

All of his films from KB1 onwards have been endured, not liked, really.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    His later stuff is increasingly in need of some one to edit him.

His long term editor died and you can see that I'm his work of the past 10+ years.

I'll fight for Jackie Brown as a top ten all time forever.
  • Kill Bill Part 2 was probably the most boring film I've ever watched at the cinema.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    May I recommend Johnny English
  • The third Hobbit movie.
    I was muttering "please end" an hour before it actually did.
    It's quite something to contain that much action and be that boring.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The third Hobbit movie.
    I was muttering "please end" an hour before it actually did.
    It's quite something to contain that much action and be that boring.

That's an overall dreadful trilogy. Not sure what went so wrong. Stretching of the source material aside, it still should stand up as a good collection of films but everything is so dull and tiresome and wannabe epic. I'm somewhat curious if I might view them better if I watch them now but fucked if I'm willing to give over another 9 hours

SFV - reddave360
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Jackson fucked it by trying to match the tone of the Rings trilogy when the source is just a very different beast.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Jackson fucked it by trying to match the tone of the Rings trilogy when the source is just a very different beast.

That's pretty bang on although I think the first part came off as too light and frothy if memory serves right. Isn't that the bit where a fat dwarf bounces down a stream in a barrel and fights goblins?

SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah I think stretching it too far was a big problem.
    Jackson never really wanted to direct it either and I think with it being a smaller tale in both length and scale it was always going to be lacklustre compared to LotR.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    @RedDave2

I think that’s the second film.
    Get schwifty.
  • Also GoPro footage, jesus fucking christ, who approved that?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Apart from Death Proof I've loved every single one of Tarantino's films, and have seen them all multiple times. One of my favourite directors, cannot wait.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Also Jackie Brown, Pulp and Hateful 8 are his best films.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:

That's pretty bang on although I think the first part came off as too light and frothy if memory serves right. Isn't that the bit where a fat dwarf bounces down a stream in a barrel and fights goblins?

It should be a bit light and frothy though. The book is a children's book. I think I read it when I was 9.
  • Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are still great films. I also really like Inglorious Basterds - all the different strands are brought together really well. Django was good in parts.

I've never watched all of Kill Bill and haven't seen Death Proof, but Hateful 8 was simply garbage. Overall, there's definitely a sense that he went from making smart parody/homage of trashy old films to just making trashy films.
  • In retrospect even pull fiction is over long ... all the signs of self indulgence up to and including putting yourself in Your own film are there for all to see.
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Also Jackie Brown, Pulp and Hateful 8 are his best films.

I would fully agree
  • Captain Marvel this afternoon. That de-ageing tech sure is impressive AF.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep. It’s getting real good.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I was somewhat underwhelmed by the de-aging in Captain Marvel, but it is certainly getting better.
  • Here you go then. The Alien: Isolation digital series in all it's glory...

all I'll say is that I have watched this so you don't have to

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!