Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • g.man wrote:
    all I'll say is that I have watched this so you don't have to

Brilliant. I won’t then. Thanks.
  • It's sage advice mate.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • You should probably avoid this next summer too...

• Time has treated Keanu Reeves extremely well.
  • Saw that earlier.
    Bill looks like he has 1980s ageing make up as opposed to actually aging.
  • Time and a colossal bank balance have treated Keanu Reeves extremely well.
  • Apart from Death Proof I've loved every single one of Tarantino's films, and have seen them all multiple times. One of my favourite directors, cannot wait.

Death Proof is actually quite good as the shorter version in Grindhouse. The extended cut released separately is not very good.

I like all of QT though. Like Wes Anderson or Jarmusch I like that he has a commitment to his unique style. It makes sense that it's not everyone's cuppa though and since his editing partner passed his films have been a smidge bloaty. But he's still one of those director's capable of creating some of the "best moments in cinema".

Kill Bill came out at the peak of my Asian cinema obsession so I love both of them. 1 being Japanese influenced and 2 being Chinese influenced. Right? Reg?
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    Jackson fucked it by trying to match the tone of the Rings trilogy when the source is just a very different beast.
    That's pretty bang on although I think the first part came off as too light and frothy if memory serves right. Isn't that the bit where a fat dwarf bounces down a stream in a barrel and fights goblins?
    It should be a bit light and frothy though. The book is a children's book. I think I read it when I was 9.
    yeah. I loved the book, and LOTR, and then the films of LOTR.
    But the Hobbit films are so awfully boring and stretched and seem so out of touch with the source, I've only (just barely) managed to watch all of the first one.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Why does Ted need help from Benjamin Button?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Hobbit films are stretched out far too much. They could have pushed it to two perhaps but they made far too much of getting out the door. It could have been a barnstorming single film.

If you read between the lines in interviews, Jackson knows they are sub par - he was brought back in late to replace Del Toro. Smells of production hell which he had to save.

It feels like a quick cheap rehash of Middle Earth. I liked a lot of what they did , and Freeman makes an excellent Bilbo, but there's too much empty filler and he was trying to join it up to LoTR in too many places which he didn't need to do. I have  the extended editions of all 3 films. I watched them once for the extra bits but haven't felt compelled to go back.

Evangeline Lilly makes for a gorgeous lady elf.  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I quite enjoyed the first Hobbit.  Fellowship is by far my favourite LotR film, so perhaps I'm more keen on the setting off an adventure parts than the adventures themselves.  I didn't make it through the second Hobbit and you'd have to pay me to watch the third.
  • Fellowship is my fave too. For me it's cos the sequels drift away from the books to focus on ever larger CGI battles, and loses that focus on the individuals struggling through their adventure.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Lindsey Ellis documentary trilogy in the Hobbit series is more interesting than any of the Hobbit films, gets right into the production issues that caused them to be so poorly conceived
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Lindsey Ellis documentary trilogy in the Hobbit series is more interesting than any of the Hobbit films, gets right into the production issues that caused them to be so poorly conceived

Colour me interested.

That online?
  • Yup, part 1 of 3 is here. If you’re interested in analysis of the full swathe decisions of what makes a film, from business to creative, it’s a pretty fascinating series

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Excellent - many thanks!

I love this sort of thing.
  • I forgot how much I love a good example of Deal With It glasses.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Watched those Hobbit docs this afternoon. Sheesh...no wonder it all ended up a bit of a mess. I love The Hobbit so much that I grit my teeth and watch them from time to time, but it’s a slog, and the only decent thing about the last film is the Billy Boyd song over the closing credits.
    Get schwifty.
  • I love The Hobbit so much that I grit my teeth and watch them from time to time.

Erm, just read the book instead? Am I missing something? You don't have to watch movies you don't like, especially repeatedly.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I mean I do extract some small amount of joy from watching them.
    Get schwifty.
  • Should have been a one and done Del Toro job. That could have been an all-timer.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I would have loved to have seen that, just as long as it was more Pan’s Labyrinth and less Pacific Rim.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I would have loved to have seen that, just as long as it was more Pan’s Labyrinth and less Pacific Rim.

You leave Pacific rim alone. Granted, not a great movie but it is the best of the honest trailers.

SFV - reddave360
  • Infernal Affairs was top banana.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • davyK wrote:
    The Hobbit films are stretched out far too much. They could have pushed it to two perhaps but they made far too much of getting out the door. It could have been a barnstorming single film. If you read between the lines in interviews, Jackson knows they are sub par - he was brought back in late to replace Del Toro. Smells of production hell which he had to save. It feels like a quick cheap rehash of Middle Earth. I liked a lot of what they did , and Freeman makes an excellent Bilbo, but there's too much empty filler and he was trying to join it up to LoTR in too many places which he didn't need to do. I have  the extended editions of all 3 films. I watched them once for the extra bits but haven't felt compelled to go back. Evangeline Lilly makes for a gorgeous lady elf.  :)

There's that clip from the Behind the Scenes of Hobbit 3 where Peter Jackson had to send everyone off set for a while so he could think through how he was going to shoot the battle on the day. He had so little time to prepare after it all changed hands and so on that he made the battle up as he went. Insane that it turned out okay.

You compare that to LOTR where they had everything storyboarded and all the costumes and so on made about a year before they started filming and you can see the one part of the problems it faced.

It's a shame too because I feel like it could have been okay even as 3 movies if they had the time to sort it all out like the LOTR trilogy.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m guessing they just filmed everyone running around in front of a big green screen and he just said we’ll get Weta to fill in the blanks because that’s what it looked like.
  • How come Josh Brollin gets to play two roles in the MCU?
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!