• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched Flight this evening.

Washington is rather good at playing tossers that you have some empathy with.

It really felt like it was getting bleaker by the minute but the ending was satisfying while not being Hollywood. Some comedy was even woven in which felt like a bit of a jar but it just about carried it off. It may have been a compromise to keep from getting too heavy and keeping the suits happy.

Very good indeed.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Yeah I don't think it's connected to any of the other movies in any way. Kinda makes it more stupid in a way

This is what i’ve wanted from comic book films from the start. 90% of the best super hero rags are those that don’t fit into the canon but build off it.

Oh I'd like more stand alone stuff too but considering the character has recently been featured in another film completely differently and so it seems they'll have multiple versions going at the same time it all becomes a bit much.
  • Has anyone got any not-much-happens real life drama recommendations for me? I'm in a Mike Leigh kind of mood but I blitzed his offerings a couple of years ago (Life is Sweet is still my favourite). Preferably something British, working class, grey, a bit depressing yet touching and naturalistically funny please.
  • Seen all of Shane Meadows' ones? Maybe a bit bleak but there's some black comedy in there.
  • Mike Leigh's Nuts in May is a bit of a family favourite in our house. It was made for TV movie back in the mid seventies about an ill-fated camping trip and not had the exposure of his later stuff but it's brilliant, as is Steadmans performance as the subverted wife. We regularly quote her lines in our our house. Think it's on YouTube.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Watched that last year, Nuts in May, yeah it's great.
  • Okay maybe I didn't do all of his films, not seen that one and it sounds perfect, thanks. Hopefully I can find it on a streamer.

I've seen around half of Meadows' stuff Gav, really should get round to watching the This is England TV show at some point though. What I saw of it was excellent but it's been on the back burner for years. Would probably scratch this itch too. Hmm.

Edit: Oh wait, YouTube. Nice.
  • FYI Nuts in May is very much a comedy, not depressing at all. Still, watch it :)
  • I watched an anime called Perfect Blue last night- I quite liked Paranoia Agent by the same director. It has some really cool transitions and scenes and the melding of worlds is pretty damn cool. I think however it seemed like the actual story was kind of obvious right from the start and the film outright lies to you which i think is also bad in something that is kind of confusing anyway.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Has anyone got any not-much-happens real life drama recommendations for me? I'm in a Mike Leigh kind of mood but I blitzed his offerings a couple of years ago (Life is Sweet is still my favourite). Preferably something British, working class, grey, a bit depressing yet touching and naturalistically funny please.

You could try Terence Davies

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I watched an anime called Perfect Blue last night- I quite liked Paranoia Agent by the same director. It has some really cool transitions and scenes and the melding of worlds is pretty damn cool. I think however it seemed like the actual story was kind of obvious right from the start and the film outright lies to you which i think is also bad in something that is kind of confusing anyway.

Onwards to Paprika!
  • I've seen none of his, looking at IMDB. Is Distant Voices, Still Lives a good starting point?

Edit: Terence Davies.
  • Just watch Secrets and Lies again. Then watch it again.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You could try My Name is Joe by Ken Loach. It's a happy family thing and not much happens and it'll leave you feeling cheerful.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Just watch I, Daniel Blake and then hate everything
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I watched an anime called Perfect Blue last night- I quite liked Paranoia Agent by the same director. It has some really cool transitions and scenes and the melding of worlds is pretty damn cool. I think however it seemed like the actual story was kind of obvious right from the start and the film outright lies to you which i think is also bad in something that is kind of confusing anyway.

Onwards to Paprika!

I liked paprika (I think it was ages ago and my analysis faculty was probably more surface). I wonder if I’d like it now.

• Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've seen none of his, looking at IMDB. Is Distant Voices, Still Lives a good starting point?

Edit: Terence Davies.

Sure

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Paprika is Tinto Brass' best.
  • The greatest showman really is a crock of shit.
    The Forum Herald™
  • The Crock of Shitman didn't get past the executives.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • It's no I, Daniel Blake fo'sure.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Never paid for films on Youtube so I can't be bothered to set that up, but I've found Nuts in May on Prime for £1.89, will watch this evening.

Just did these, hadn't seen them all:

Hit the spot, the second and fifth ones are great.
  • Nuts in May was on iPlayer when I saw it last year, worth checking there first, Geez.
  • It is, you just saved the missus £1.89.  I'd already sent the text to ask if I could grab it on her Prime, was sitting here at the PS4 front end waiting for a reply.  Nice one.
  • Bob wrote:
    The greatest showman really is a crock of shit.
    It gets better once you've watched it a couple dozen times...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Bob wrote:

I loved it. Was sold on it within the first minute and utterly mesmerised from start to finish.
    And I often have the soundtrack on in the car, singing along with the wife.

I think it’s brilliant fun.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • One of my work colleagues, bless her, used a tune from it's OST at a 'celebration' event for the young people I work. I've never heard such insipid tosh in all my life.

I wanted to play IDLES and 'Well Done', but they wouldn't let me.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    I loved it. Was sold on it within the first minute and utterly mesmerised from start to finish. And I often have the soundtrack on in the car, singing along with the wife. I think it’s brilliant fun.

I thought it was going to be shit, but enjoyed watching it far more than I expected to.
  • I love the smell of napalm in the morning. 

Happy 80th, Coppola.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!