Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • poprock wrote:
    One of my pals went to see Hellboy today. He walked out after an hour. Says it’s a contender for worst movie of the year. Or any year.

Never walked out on a movie. If it's really bad, I tend to just have a snooze instead. Cinemas are lovely places for a nap

SFV - reddave360
  • Besson doing his thing:

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The Meg is exactly what you think it will be bad as average as it comes except for Pippin. 2.5/5
  • The Silence on Netflix. It's basically the same premise as A Quiet Place. With a hint of Bird Box thrown in. But it's cheaper and crapper than either, and completely pointless.
  • Sexy Violent Commie Spy is a really really really overplayed trope now.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yee haw that hellboy movie is gonna make a better making of than film by all accounts.

Media screenings and review embargoes for the “Hellboy” reboot were held back until the last minute, lifting late yesterday. As reaction went up however, the reason was understandable.

With 58 reviews counted, the film sits at a dismal 12% on Rotten Tomatoes with the film widely panned for practically every element – labelling it loud, incoherent, and empty.

In the wake of the reviews, a new report has gone up at The Wrap suggesting there’s a reason for this. The trade says the end result is due to disagreements between the film’s two main producers (out of sixteen total), Harbour, and director Neil Marshall.

The site alleges producers Lawrence Gordon and Lloyd Levin fired Marshall’s go-to cinematographer Sam McCurdy for doing his job, and the decision to do so was “to send a message to Marshall that despite being the film’s director, Marshall was not in charge”. Lorenzo Senatore ultimately served as cinematographer.

That was just one of the numerous apparent disagreements on set. Others allegedly included Levin interrupting Marshall frequently in front of the crew and gave actors different directions than the director, Harbour repeatedly walking off set, Harbour and Ian McShane reportedly rewriting their own scenes and ignoring direction from Marshall, and a prolonged dispute over the design of a tree that’s core to the film’s story.

In addition, it says after Marshall handed in his cut of the film the producers reportedly took over as they never promised him final cut. Gordon and Levin worked on the previous “Hellboy” films and are teaming up again for HBO’s “Watchmen” series.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    SIXTEEN PRODUCERS
  • The Watchmen TV show will be a trash fire, confirmed.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I quite liked the Del Toro Hellboy films. Perlman was born to play that role.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I love Del Toro’s production design and world-building.
  • First one was good(ish), never got through the second.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • regmcfly wrote:
    SIXTEEN PRODUCERS

I don't see it taking off.
  • Hellboy looks strong but I’m still backing Sonic for the 2019 catastrofuck award.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I was underwhelmed by Missing Link. Laika produce beautiful films but their storytelling leaves a lot to be desired.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Neither Kubo not Boxtrolls were enjoyed here. Last good laika film for me was ParaNorman
  • Don't come in here often, but am watching den of theives right now.

Aka poor man's Heat. Wow. It's fine, but it's a bit funny he obvious it is.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Thieves even.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Too late.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Those vids of the awful scenes in Meet Joe Black doing the rounds on Twitter make me want to watch it for the first time. I recall reviews at the time of release making it sound long and boring, but that parting scene would’ve been worth the price of admission.
    Things can only get better.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    and a prolonged dispute over the design of a tree that’s core to the film’s story.

giphy.gif
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Facewon wrote:
    Don't come in here often, but am watching den of theives right now. Aka poor man's Heat. Wow. It's fine, but it's a bit funny he obvious it is.
    Those drone shots at the start really add a bit of sheen that the film doesn't deserve. I wish they had stuck to ripping off Heat, the other directions it goes work even less, weird tonal shifts all over the place.
  • No.3. Probably the worst one yet...

Really wondering who thought that making these was a good idea?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • mannaboy wrote:
    I recall reviews at the time of release making it sound long and boring

And they'd be right!
  • Hotel Artemis is a such a weird film. It just sort of breezes by and has a really wonky rhythm that sort of just bimbles along before it ends. One of the weird things is that it seems to have two bosses in the film which have almost no real tension too them and they keep inserting other drama that just sort of resolves itself. Like a giant bowl of thin soup.
  • Meet Joe Black is one of those films where each character stands there and says exactly what they’re thinking and feeling. It’s like the directors instructions to the actors but instead it’s the script.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Hotel Artemis is a such a weird film. It just sort of breezes by and has a really wonky rhythm that sort of just bimbles along before it ends. One of the weird things is that it seems to have two bosses in the film which have almost no real tension too them and they keep inserting other drama that just sort of resolves itself. Like a giant bowl of thin soup.

Good sum up. It’s got a very weird pace. I really enjoyed Fosters character and Batista was entertaining, but the rest of the cast just washed over me. Not what I was expecting from the trailer. The hotel in John Wick handled the concept in a much better way even though it was only part of the story.
  • Haven't watched any of those Alien Shorts yet but it's a shame if they're a bit naff. On the one hand is nice they gave lesser known people the ability to make the shirts but I think I would have rather have ones made by known directors. I'm sure there'd be a lot who would be keen to do it.

I watched Once Upon A Deadpool on the plane. Even though it was a bit pointless all the extra stuff was actually very funny. And more Yukio? Maybe?
    Weird how much they can get away with in a PG-13 though.

It was definitely better than Poppins Returns. It's been a while but was the original Poppins kind of a snarky bitchy character? I don't remember her being such. Plus the songs were all garbo with most relying on repeating the one line over and over throughout the song.

Luckily I watched Once after and those songs are great. Such a nice little film. I feel shame that I didn't pick it was the singer from The Frames before the credits.
  • OG Poppins was a bit off. Not bitchy, but a bit snooty/la-de-da perhaps. Snippy and authoritative; gave a firm handshake but terrible cuddles.
  • I can’t decide whether to place this in film, music or TV - but they’re calling it a film, so I’ll chuck it in here...  I watched Guava Island last night - the Donald Glover/Childish Gambino film that was suddenly released on Amazon. It’s an odd beast, slightly short of the 60 minute mark, not quite a musical, not quite a video. It’s also a pleasant enough way to spend an hour.

The plot is pretty light weight, and the songs are performed semi-realistically - with a mix of diegetic sounds, and imposed soundtrack. Beyond Glover the cast hosts Rihanna and Letitia Wright, neither of whom have very much to do - this is very much his movie. (Rihanna doesn’t even sing, which given her acting skills did make me slightly wonder why she’s there, though she has the necessary chemistry at least.) The story makes some fairly un-subtle but welcome points about the state of the world, but is mostly too busy having fun for this to carry any great impact.

So, yeah, it’s a pleasant, breezy 58 minutes. Donald Glover does his thing, and if you like that, you’re going to have a good time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!