Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    So The Mission... I am not a religious person but I have grown somewhat in my tolerance of and even appreciation for spiritual things for want of a better word. This is a powerful film, even if you don't necessarily believe the religious bits and pieces. Top performance from De Niro and Jeremy Irons. Sad, but beautiful bit of work. Two thumbs up, way up.

Given your love of The Irishman, and the tolerance of appreciation for spiritual things... have you seen Silence?
  • Not yet. Going to get another few movies tonight though. Was thinking of filling in my Kubrick gaps after I finish Marty and Bob.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Of the Scorsese i've seen i'd say Silence is my second favourite, just after King of Comedy
  • Nice :) Looking forward to it. King of Comedy is on my favourites list too.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Can one truly see silence?

Quote that and put it on an inspirational novelty loo roll.
  • Going to have to watch The Irishman again to confirm but as of now this is my Top 5:

1. The Aviator
    2. Taxi Driver
    3. King of Comedy
    4. Raging Bull
    5. The Irishman

Shutter Island and Wolf of Wall Street would be 6 and 7.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Can one truly see silence? Quote that and put it on an inspirational novelty loo roll.

GreedyPlayfulBooby-size_restricted.gif
  • The Aviator is fantastic. I think Scorsese excelled himself in that. The cinematography was a step up from his other work.
    The colour grading is wonderful and I cant even see half of it. Alice in Wonderland levels at one point.
  • Tempy wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    Can one truly see silence? Quote that and put it on an inspirational novelty loo roll.

GreedyPlayfulBooby-size_restricted.gif

Literally had that Simpsons bit in my head while typing.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The Aviator is fantastic. I think Scorsese excelled himself in that. The cinematography was a step up from his other work. The colour grading is wonderful and I cant even see half of it.
    Yeah the colourized look was a great visual detail. It got me obsessed with Howard Hughes for a fair while. Read some books and he was definitely an odd bird, but how much people took advantage of him and allowed him to turn himself into a complete fucking freak show because they could steal more from him as an invalid... was all very sad. One book put forward the theory that he had undiagnosed syphilis and that it was a major part in how he acted.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    True or false: Jeremy Irons?

Lol. Someone’s a shooting stars fan
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Just answer the question wooks.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I have no idea why that moment from the Simpson's sticks in my mind so much.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I have no idea why that moment from the Simpson's sticks in my mind so much.
    Because everyone at school thought Bart's answer was genius because we were 6 or 7.

That's my version of events.
  • Anyway, I actually enjoyed The Day Shall Come, had heard lukewarm things so it was nice to find it engaging. I mean, it seems totally ludicrous but then you know it's pretty accurate. It's a fine companion to Four Lions imo, although not as good.

The Q&A was great, as expected; someone did ask him if he'll do a return to TV and he ended up saying that the media/news isn't as important and haughty as it was 20 years ago, and if you want to make an impression on things, is TV the place to do it? Sounds like he's looking forward rather than back. Shame, but understandable. I just wish we could get more monologues, I still listen to the Blue Jam monologues.
  • The Red Turtle (on Prime) is excellent.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I saw the space wizards movie. It was a space wizards movie.
    I look forward to the Red letter review and finding out what makes the sad men angry this time.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Anyway, I actually enjoyed The Day Shall Come, had heard lukewarm things so it was nice to find it engaging. I mean, it seems totally ludicrous but then you know it's pretty accurate. It's a fine companion to Four Lions imo, although not as good. The Q&A was great, as expected; someone did ask him if he'll do a return to TV and he ended up saying that the media/news isn't as important and haughty as it was 20 years ago, and if you want to make an impression on things, is TV the place to do it? Sounds like he's looking forward rather than back. Shame, but understandable. I just wish we could get more monologues, I still listen to the Blue Jam monologues.

Woah, I was at that last night too. Shame I missed you man.

Agree on TDSC though, I went in with those mixed reviews in mind but thoroughly enjoyed it. Some killer lines in there. Reminded me of some of Iannucci's stuff, the scenes with the FBI in particular.

Morris comes across as a throughly decent chap too. I listened his Buxton double recently which are also well worth checking out if you haven't heard them yet.
  • Great to see Robert Pattinson in it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Trains, boats, hotels and Michael Caine. It's ya boi Nolan
  • dum dum dum dum BAAAAAAAAH dum dum dum dum
  • Looking like a video game from 2006 emulated on a £2000 PC - the prime Nolan aesthetic
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    2020 is also the 10 year anniversary of Inception so let's do another. I'm all in for it.
  • Criterion’s Black running at 120FPS 4k EXCLUSIVE FOOTAGE
  • There was a Prologue to Tenet shown before IMAX Star Wars. About 5 or so minutes long. Wasn't great, was a bit stock standard Nolan terrorist sequence but I think the point was to set up a little but of the world and a brief glimpse at whatever this time weirdness is.

The trailer was straight after that and did a much better job of selling the movie.
  • I am fucking hype for that. Love me some Nolan and STRINGS MAKING LOUD NOISES
  • I have a higher enthusiasm for Christopher Nolan films that don’t have some nostalgia glommed on.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!