Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Debated whether to put this into film or TV, but opted for film in the end...

Anyway.  I watched Don Hertzfeldt's latest over the weekend.  World of Tomorrow, Episode Three:  The Absent Destinations of David Prime.  (Not the punchiest title, but it makes sense once you've watched the film.)

It's a stand alone story - although those that have watched episodes one and two will arguably get more from it as there are various connections between them.

It's absolutely brilliant.  Like the first two, it contains more solid SciFi ideas than most fully fledged SciFi movies.  This one's longer than the other two, but whilst epic in scope it's still only about half an hour. It is both hilarious and tragic in roughly equal measure.  Whilst it lacks the cute child protagonist of previous episodes, it does offer star/time crossed lovers as well as the long time Hertzfeldt staple of grown men going "Aaargnngrhghh" a lot.  

I recommend it a lot, with the only downside being that it costs about a fiver to rent - which is quite a bit for 30 minutes.  On the other hand Disney are asking £20 to watch their creatively pointless Mulan remake, whilst this is a fiver to an independent filmmaker to keep doing his stuff. So, yeah, if you can afford it, do it.

Awesome, thanks Tin. Love Hertzfeldt
  • poprock wrote:
    Remember the excitement of watching pirate copies on little TV sets in bars on holiday too? We’d go on coach holidays to Spain and all the tourist pubs would have chalkboards outside saying what films they’d be showing that night. All stuff that was still on at the pictures back home.

The first time I saw the Lion King was on a tiny TV up in the corner of a hotel lounge in Malta.  We could hardly see it because of the quality on a 17 inch screen and barely hear it due to the noise of a pool table and various arcades.  Still sat there and watched the whole thing.
  • Awesome, thanks Tin. Love Hertzfeldt

If you don't mind spoilers, he's now put a short clip up...
    Spoiler:
  • What if it's Predator but Mortal Kombat as well?

• Oh my god I'm all in for that
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Well now.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • About 36 seconds.
    Is that Crab Man from My Name is Earl?
  • I'm sold. :)
    I'll be watching as soon as i can once i notice it's on whatever streaming platform i'm subbing to at the time.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The actual fuck is this

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ha ha starring your favourite video game adaptation actress.
  • It's yer man dir too
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Sure fuckin is the WS
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Looking forward to the sixth instalment.
  • That looks absolutely dreadful. Did we honestly expect anything else?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Is that... Mila Djokovic ?
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Talking to Flora about how Ridley Scott refuses to stop making shit (a Napoleon epic starring Joaquin Phoenix appears to be coming after his next couple) and two things i discovered.

1) I have not seen Black Rain and it looks a hoot. Hans Zimmer score, Jan De Bont cinematography, set in Osama and about the Yakuza, Douglas and Garcia and written by a guy who wrote episodes of Miami Vice.

2) he appears to have made a movie that at best was not released and at worst was not finished in 2013 called The Vatican which appears to be a sort of steamy Vatican thriller. Was round about the same time he made the fucking awful The Counsellor so who knows.

That's your Ridley Scott hot minute for the week.
  • Black Rain was a fun disappointment at the time. I still thought everything that Ridley did was going to be amazing, even though Someone To Watch Over Me had already started his only seen once list. Soon added to with 1492, White Squall, Matchstick Men, Body Of Lies and I'd guess All The Money In The World.

The list isn't really a judge of quality either, lots of his less successful films seem to actually disappear. They're never on TV and no one owns the DVD.

I'd guess the Vatican thing was an unaired TV pilot with that cast.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You should return to Matchstick Men. It is rather good, and Cage and Rockwell are in their game.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    1492, Body Of Lies, White Squall, Kingdom Of Heaven, Exodus, Covenant, The Counsellor and GI Jane are all what I would define as not very good movies. I've not seen All The Money.

I am absolutely going to watch Black Rain this weekend though.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Hope you enjoy Reg, probably of it's time though.
    +1 for the Matchstick Men fan club.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Everyone says that about Matchstick men, but it didn't grab me when I did see it and it never appears on TV.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I just love how low key and un-Scott it is in many ways whilst also having a complete and utter defined colour palette and aesthetic to it being full on totally Scott. The performances fit that too and it is a generally funny and pretty sweet film.
  • I liked Matchstick Men too. It's kingdom of heaven the one where the directors cut is meant to make it actually good?

And the monsters in monster hunter look pretty cool at least. I'm sure the rest will be iffy though. They did confirm there were palicos in it, wonder why they didn't put them in the trailer. Cute kitties scaring off the tough action boys?
  • Black Rain is an odd one. Always struck me as being more Tony than Ridley. Worth seeing for Douglas's hair alone.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I liked Matchstick Men too. It's kingdom of heaven the one where the directors cut is meant to make it actually good?

And the monsters in monster hunter look pretty cool at least. I'm sure the rest will be iffy though. They did confirm there were palicos in it, wonder why they didn't put them in the trailer. Cute kitties scaring off the tough action boys?

The directors cut makes it more logical and a better movie, yes. It also makes it 4 odd hours long.

They didn't put palicos in the trailer coz that would turn off teh ladzbantz I suspect. Allegedly meowscular chef is an "object of Flirting " for milla too.
  • Well now...
  • Reviews for the new Pixar movie (Soul) are in, and it’s currently sitting on a perfect Rotten Tomatoes score (though that conceals a few 3/5s). Sounds like it might be a return to their more experimental stuff, which is good news...

In what is perhaps a telling move however, it’s skipping the cinema entirely and going straight to Disney+ on Christmas Day. (That’s regular Disney+, not the “Premier” nonsense they pulled with Mulan.). I’d normally assume they were just burying a bad movie (Artemis Fowl says hi), but after those reviews clearly not...
  • Interesting.
    It could be 90 minutes of Bernard Manning's arsehole and it will be better than most of what the BBC put on Xmas day.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!