Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • I want to see Possessor but I'm worried it will fuck with my head a bit much.

If you like Cronenberg you know what to expect.

That's what I was hoping for
    Kow wrote:
    I enjoyed it but I expected more body horror.

I was also hoping for more body horror.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You'd think, I'm just saying that it's probably not entirely in their own hands.

fair point.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'm assuming that the old films were on film, and the cinemas simply don't have them. I'm not sure what sort of licensing / distribution complications there would be with multiplexes wanting to do runs of old films.

They could request reels, but honestly, it seems like the smart thing to do for the chains would be to work with studios to get a digital conversion and do limited runs of things, that way every cinema in the country can show Star Wars or whatever at once.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    There is a reel (boom boom) opportunity for them to try something different. They could even sell season tickets. £20/30 and you get to see all of the star wars movies, or the dollars trilogy, or the aliens films or BladeRunner and 2049.
  • Watching Ava.

Oh my. Colin Farrell, malkovich, geena Davis, common.

Its so bad.

Hilariously so.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched A Matter of Life and Death after many, many years. It's aged (of course) but it's still a really interesting piece of work. Powell and Pressburger were way ahead of their time.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I remember watching that at school for some reason. I should watch it again properly and not through they eyes of a shitty teenager.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Popped into my feed: A 40min documentary on how George Miller and his team battled to get Fury Road made. Great stuff. Spoilers everywhere.

Finally watched this little doco. It was great. Had a lot of good behind the scenes footage and I liked the honesty from Tom Hardy.
    Looking at their youtube, WB has released a bunch of docs on various movies and filmmakers including a 2.5 hour one on Kubrick. There's my viewing sorted for a while.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Rewatched Poltergeist for the first time in decades. It hasn't aged badly really, apart from one or two moments of dodgy animation. I always thought it was a Spielberg film but he's only credited with the story, not even writing. I was surprised to see it was Tobe Hooper that directed. Anyway it's not remotely scary - more of a typical Spielberg film really.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    £75 though. Fucking hell
  • They’re doing a 4K disc set of Game of Thrones too. Can only imagine the price tag.
  • Hmm most new 4k releases are rarely under £20, so for 3 films at release, £75 doesn't seem that bad to me? If £105 is the RRP then yes that would be way too much.

I just ordered The Matrix and A Few Good Men on 4k in a 2 for £30 HMV deal, along with the first Men In Black on 4k that was £6.99.

Excited to watch them all! Apparently they've got rid of the horrible green hues from The Matrix, and A Few Good Men is one of my all time fave movies.
  • I was watching some of two towers on sky the other day. Some of the cg was kind of ropey. I wonder if a 4k will be an enhancement or highlight the weirdness.

To clarify: it wasn’t the models themselves that were bad but their relative fidelity and lighting inside the normal world.
  • 4k BTTF is out in a couple of weeks! I wanted to get the limited edition box set thing for wifey but looks like it got snapped up by scalpers (judging by ebay listings).

81ZKIQjMEwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Yeah I imagine there might be a few ropey bits, but I think Peter Jackson tried to use less CGI, didn't they go to a real active volcano in NZ to shoot some of the Mount Doom scenes?

Pete's also overseen the remaster, according to Sean Astin!

• The Daddy wrote:
    4k BTTF is out in a couple of weeks! I wanted to get the limited edition box set thing for wifey but looks like it got snapped up by scalpers (judging by ebay listings). 81ZKIQjMEwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Great Scott, that looks awesome, I'm gonna have to buy this too, me thinks! (the standard edition).
  • b0r1s wrote:
    £75 though. Fucking hell
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I still have the DVDs with extended editions, the rigid box versions from the collectors editions. 

Just a few minutes ago actually, I was during the Minas Tirith bookend that came with RotK. I have the Gollum statue that came with Two Towers to Nickfullspec. Can’t remember what FotR came with but I don’t have it anymore.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I was all for 4K UHD’s when I first got my 4K TV but the prices were a piss take. I decided to go Apple TV once they entered the 4K market and the prices are just more reasonable. I rarely pay more than £8 for a film, max of £13.99 for a brand new release, but I generally get sale prices at a fiver.

Quality is nearly there compared to UHD discs too:

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @elf I had those FoTR came with the two statues that spanned the river as book ends.
  • Ah, the kings? Damn, wonder what I did with mine.

Edit, dunno if they were kings. Can’t remember. It’s the ones the fellowship sees after leaving Galadriel, forget the name of the forest. Damn, forgotten so much about LotR. 

Been in the loft yesterday and bag of books didn’t have Hobbit or LotR. Daughter wants to read Hobbit. Gonna have to up back up and search again.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Left all mine with the ex. Wish I’d kept Minas Tirith
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Having an Apple TV, buying those 4K remasters of LOTR is very tempting. Physical releases don’t look very appealing to me any more, piles of DVDs and Blurays sitting untouched for years in boxes. The convenience of streaming has won me over.
    Things can only get better.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Are they out on Apple yet?
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Just me assuming they will be at some point.
    Things can only get better.
  • ZMM wrote:
    Hmm most new 4k releases are rarely under £20, so for 3 films at release, £75 doesn't seem that bad to me? If £105 is the RRP then yes that would be way too much.

I just ordered The Matrix and A Few Good Men on 4k in a 2 for £30 HMV deal, along with the first Men In Black on 4k that was £6.99.

Excited to watch them all! Apparently they've got rid of the horrible green hues from The Matrix, and A Few Good Men is one of my all time fave movies.

Does it cost more to release a movie in a 4k format? That much more? Or do they think people with 4k rigs actually want to pay more - in a sadistic sense, it makes them feel special?
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Kow wrote:
    Rewatched Poltergeist for the first time in decades. It hasn't aged badly really, apart from one or two moments of dodgy animation. I always thought it was a Spielberg film but he's only credited with the story, not even writing. I was surprised to see it was Tobe Hooper that directed. Anyway it's not remotely scary - more of a typical Spielberg film really.

Annecdotal evidence suggests that Spielberg did a lot of the work. It's one of my all time favourite films, for all its failings it has some amazing atmosphere, some brilliant special effects, and one of the best "it's not over" moments ever.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    O yeah, it's a great film. Hard to believe it was certed 18 when it was released though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!