Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Great film.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Popped into my feed: A 40min documentary on how George Miller and his team battled to get Fury Road made. Great stuff. Spoilers everywhere.
  • I honestly won't miss cinemas
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • By and large, they're mostly fucking borefests. It's all gone to shit in the last decade, fucking "Marvel universe" and all that shite. Go to the dogs. Creative people, artists, will still make good movies. People will go watch them. Films I have seen like Berberian Sound Studios, District 9, and other Indies, will all get made still. People will make them because they believe. The cynical shit can die or go on Disney +, good. Utter waste of time, and positively dangerous. Superhero shit designed to distract people into believing in super men. Is it any wonder that we have the cult of Steve Jobs, the cult of Elon Musk, and so on. When really human strength lies in community, togetherness and empathy - that is what makes us achieve things. Churchill didn't win the war, men on the frontline fighting for their comrades did. And after, they didn't forget, and they tore down what led to the war and it's disastrous start, and built a new society with a welfare state. Stalin didn't win the war, the pride and sacrifice of nigh on 20 million Russians did, and sadly they never got their dues after. I can't be the only person who saw this, the sheer desperation of our time coinciding with the massmarket appeal of this cult of the super man. The Dark Knight started it, the idea that masses are bad, movements are anarchic chaos, criminals, but the oligarch with a dress up fetish, he's the real hero. Fuck all that in the eye, it's 90% of cinema now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I don't go an awful lot but I like the fact that it's there for something like Bladerunner 2049.

Also - occasionally I like seeing some oldies on the big screen that I never got to see as intended (2001, The Shining, La Dolce Vita etc)

I'd be saddened to see their demise but the likes of me don't spend enough to keep them there as it needs numbers wanting to see the big franchises and buy popcorn and Revels.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    By and large, they're mostly fucking borefests. It's all gone to shit in the last decade, fucking "Marvel universe" and all that shite. Go to the dogs. Creative people, artists, will still make good movies. People will go watch them. Films I have seen like Berberian Sound Studios, District 9, and other Indies, will all get made still. People will make them because they believe. The cynical shit can die or go on Disney +, good. Utter waste of time, and positively dangerous. Superhero shit designed to distract people into believing in super men. Is it any wonder that we have the cult of Steve Jobs, the cult of Elon Musk, and so on. When really human strength lies in community, togetherness and empathy - that is what makes us achieve things. Churchill didn't win the war, men on the frontline fighting for their comrades did. And after, they didn't forget, and they tore down what led to the war and it's disastrous start, and built a new society with a welfare state. Stalin didn't win the war, the pride and sacrifice of nigh on 20 million Russians did, and sadly they never got their dues after. I can't be the only person who saw this, the sheer desperation of our time coinciding with the massmarket appeal of this cult of the super man. The Dark Knight started it, the idea that masses are bad, movements are anarchic chaos, criminals, but the oligarch with a dress up fetish, he's the real hero. Fuck all that in the eye, it's 90% of cinema now.

The leader/superman cult is troubling. It suggests there are easy answers to big questions too. I remember reading a quote by someone that WW2 was won by American steel, British Intelligence and Russian blood.

While I'm not sure I entirely agree with that , I agree with the sentiment. It isn't a kick in the arse off the truth.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I was going to the cinema at least once a month last, sometimes more, and 90% of those were for old releases on a reshowing. Luckily, the PCC seem to still be running a full schedule, because they don't rely on the big new releases.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Surely we can learn lessons from cinema itself and solve the problem by punching it to bits and then throwing it into the sun?
  • Really enjoyed Enola Holmes film but I love Holmes always
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Currently watching the original 1970s version of Carrie (on film4 now) and just spotted Nancy Allen in it. I only knew her from her RoboCop days, I had no idea she was in this horror classic too. And John Travolta plays her beau!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Travolta's just killed a pig!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Ah, Tremors! A favourite from the old days. Haven’t seen it in many many years!
  • I don’t understand why cinema chains haven’t gone to a little more effort to keep people coming? There may be no fucking Bond or super strong super handsome super hero films kicking about but couldn’t they have weekends of rereleases and make it more of an event? Kinda like Rocky Horror but with idk The Karate Kids or a Hictchcock weekend, or all the Alien Movies or fuck it’s nearly Halloween so erm the Halloween movies. Encourage some fancy dress or more event based stuff. I know it’s a bit more work but it might mean they keep the lights on and a few more people in work.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There was a damning article on Tenet in the Guardian this week suggesting that the push to have it reopen cinemas (remember when that briefly happened?) might have doomed the cinema industry as opposed to save it. Every other distributor is now running absolutely scared of pushing to a cinema, and when something like Trolls World Tour makes 100 mill on an opening digital weekend there seems to be a real mindset shift.

Cheers Chris, you did it.

Although anyone who brazenly went to see Tenet in cinemas in 2020 sure has a thing to tell their grandkids now.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    There was a damning article on Tenet in the Guardian this week suggesting that the push to have it reopen cinemas (remember when that briefly happened?) might have doomed the cinema industry as opposed to save it. Every other distributor is now running absolutely scared of pushing to a cinema, and when something like Trolls World Tour makes 100 mill on an opening digital weekend there seems to be a real mindset shift.

Cheers Chris, you did it.

Although anyone who brazenly went to see Tenet in cinemas in 2020 sure has a thing to tell their grandkids now.

I had a wank in the cinema cos it was just me?
  • The idea that the cinema industry is doomed seems a bit silly. I mean, yeah, it can’t survive in its current form in the current climate, but if there was a market pre-covid then there’ll be a market once everything settles down.

iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • It will be a smaller market
  • I wonder what the result would have been if Bond was the “it’s time to go to the cinemas” film. It’s easy to blame tenet but I think that something needed to test the waters. It’s a shame it was something so rubbish.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    The idea that the cinema industry is doomed seems a bit silly. I mean, yeah, it can’t survive in its current form in the current climate, but if there was a market pre-covid then there’ll be a market once everything settles down.

Not necessarily.

There could be some fundamental breaks and enforced changes that mean the new situation is preferable to the old one.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    The idea that the cinema industry is doomed seems a bit silly. I mean, yeah, it can’t survive in its current form in the current climate, but if there was a market pre-covid then there’ll be a market once everything settles down.

Not necessarily.

There could be some fundamental breaks and enforced changes that mean the new situation is preferable to the old one.

This is not the case. Cinema, as it is, is currently dead. You can parse that from your own experiences where you literally sit next to a person for 2 hours and potentially gasp or exhale.

The cinema that has run has been thoroughly unsuccessful because by over halfing the audience per screening and the feat over any type of snack have hugely crippled the industry. I think small indie cinemas may survive but in the age of the megapolis there is no feasible scope.

Thus then means that the types of movies made must cater for the new x number of audiences.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I can't see people rushing back to the cinema after having had no choice but to get into the habit of enjoying films at home on their nice flat screens.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Or VR helmets.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I think when the Marvel films come back, there's a chance that some audiences return. It looks like another shift towards cinema as an almost amusement park experience for teenagers though. Cinema seems like a bad idea for old people full stop now.

We're already at the stage where Scorsese is making films for Netflix anyway.
  • Or VR helmets.

This. I love watching movies on a virtual cinema screen. I watched Bill and Ted on there and it was most excellent.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    I think when the Marvel films come back, there's a chance that some audiences return. It looks like another shift towards cinema as an almost amusement park experience for teenagers though. Cinema seems like a bad idea for old people full stop now.

We're already at the stage where Scorsese is making films for Netflix anyway.

Marvel films have come back, Black Widow has been now delayed twice. Remember the entire back catalogue is on Disney Plus so there will be a whole generation growing up consuming them on TV.
  • Kow wrote:
    I can't see people rushing back to the cinema after having had no choice but to get into the habit of enjoying films at home on their nice flat screens.

Me. I will be rushing back. I have a nice telly but it's still nothing on going to the cinema, especially IMAX. Regular folks though, I'm not sure. Coming out of lockdown here I think that many people will be taking any opportunity to leave the house that's been their prison. Maybe. We'll see I guess. Mid-budget films is certainly not a bad thing.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Apart from the comfort of home, I'd say the wariness of going somewhere with a lot of people will linger, even after the virus is done with.
  • That's my issue. I won't be going anywhere with lots of people
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!