Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I always worry that stuff like this gets taken the wrong way by certain Americans. Watched a great satire about Proud Boys on Twitter the other day and people were actually explaining that it wasn’t real and a joke smh.
  • Yikes. Cineworld could close all theatres again due to yet another delay to Bond. Or maybe it’s just a threat to Downing St to help them out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54407213
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Cineworld are closing across America too.
  • I’ve booked to go see Akira on Thursday. Not fussed about losing £10 if they do close that early, more concerned about all the jobs.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched an old Woody Allen film I hadn't seen in years. Love and Death It was the last of the early work that had a bit of slapstick in.

It's in between Sleeper and Annie Hall, the latter being quite probably in my top 10 films ever. This shows Allen starting to really show his eye - in places this film is beautiful. It was shot in France and Hungary. It's set in Russia during the Napoleanic Wars and even has some decent battle scenes - cleverly conveying a sense of scale on what was probably a modest budget.

The first Allen film I ever saw was Sleeper and I remember loving it - I literally rolled with laughter in places at it. I was pretty young - maybe 12 or so - and would have missed a lot of the more adult gags. I remember a short Allen season shown around Christmas time many years ago made up of his early stuff. I was still pretty young and the memories of watching them late at night on BBC2 with my father are very happy so these films really resonate the old nostalgia glands with me even though I remember nothing matching up to the laughs I got out of Sleeper. There was a quality in his work that kept me watching.

Love and Death has aged well but a some of the jokes are for those of a literary bent with Russian literature references. There are take offs of some of Bergmann's films too.  I recognised a bit that's a reference to Personna. There's an early dream scene that feels Fellini-esque too. It could be accused of being a bit too clever for its own good. It's also an awkward mix of this and more bawdy comedy with a side order of slapstick but it still holds together. Diane Keaton is really very good in it and the supporting cast help a lot too.

I never really watched much of his stuff after that but I always knew him as being prolific. A quick imdb lookup and my goodness he's been busy. I have a notion to try and do some catch up with him. So if anyone has recommendations I'd appreciate any pointers.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I love Annie Hall but find it hard nowadays to watch. That does not reduce the comedy, rapport, and warmth of the film. There's something there. But when the guy comes in saying
    Spoiler:
  • I must be weird in that I actually really like some of the later Woody Allen stuff - everyone says I love you and so on. But Annie Hall is a cracking film, Hannah and her sister's - just cannot be arsed to watch them. I am less into cinematography though, I notice it unconsciously I guess but mainly when I watch a film it's about what happens and how it makes me feel.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I liked Midnight In Paris as a film.
  • regmcfly wrote:

Yes that is also great. I think his late stuff is really underrated and different. Only other series that make me feel somewhat similar are the Before trilogy, two days in Paris, I dunno. Like the feel of these flicks. Lantana in Oz is another one. Proper melancholy but weirdly uplifting films. Life eh
  • Lantana, I would watch that again for sure, but no one remembers that it was ever a thing
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I love Annie Hall but find it hard nowadays to watch. That does not reduce the comedy, rapport, and warmth of the film. There's something there. But when the guy comes in saying
    Spoiler:

That line is certainly stark today. Not all together fantastical sadly. It makes a point - not maybe the one that was intended at the time - but it still does. The film is brilliantly made. Its swoops and time jumps are really quite modern - ahead of its time.

Allen is haunted by a lot of what was said about him by Mia Farrow who was a fruitcake. But the filmmaker does have that baggage. 

Manhattan is a beautiful looking film but I'm not sure if I'd like it now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Decent Allen interview covering much of the early work. Pre Farrow and Soon-Yi Previn era.  It's worth noting that Soon-Yi was never his adopted daughter - but it is odd.

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

Loved it. Until that final scene.
    Spoiler:
  • Dune moved to October 2021.

Cineworld shutting again from this Friday until big movies start coming to cinemas more regularly.
  • Tenet the biggest cinema movie of 2020.
    Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Dune moving confirms everything.

I'm currently writing an article about where cinema sits post lockdown for another site

The wild thing is we have had lockdown on several occasions, punctuated by the release of Tenet and also saying between "don't do it". The movie has made $300mill back which seems great but that is not even the pre production budget coming back. What Nolan and the rest of the cast have had to do are weird interviews encouraging cinema attendance and it all gets a bit turgid following that.

We are back at closures and young people genuinely have no concept of that. The cinema industry is in a serious position, as it was before covid.

I don't know where we go, but I think "old" movies may be the route in.
  • Cinéma is fucked, it was fucked before. Thinks like premium cinema with reheated gourmet Waitrose pizza going for 14.99 might survive - Curzon here.mostly, and things like the prince Charles cinema if it can survive with capital / get a rent holiday.
  • Pray for Hollywood
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It genuinely upsets me, what happens. Flora and I have spent £30 on two films, portrait of a lady on fire and bill and ted, and we are happy to do so, but I am so worried about the ongoing status of cinema.
  • The whole multiplex cinema idea is such a precarious model. It’s entirely reliant on someone else doing work. What do you do when no one is doing the work and the person doing your work sees your cut as lost money.

The big problem is I think cinema might need to start making cheapo films again that end up in the town cinema of old but I think too much stock has been put into £200m mega films.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cinema has long made the play for experiencing the big film on the big screen. They are the expensive ones of course - and that ship's sailing time is long overdue.  The make their money on the pick n mix anyhow I'm guessing?

I love a big daft film but a surfeit of confectionary isn't satisfying. See what I did there? :)

Smaller, smarter films are what I'd like too - but I'm not sure if cinema enhances them enough to be a draw. I'd go but I'm not mainstream by any stretch of the imagination.
  • I'd love to be able to save cinema but for me the issues have always been caused by other people. Antisocial behaviour and general dickery from the public have seen me avoid big blockbusters in the cinema until the end of their run and now Covid means I have no desire to be sat in a room with the public.
    I've always been keen to see a simultaneous cinema and home streaming release model as it would give options to those of us who don't like the cinema for the reasons stated above or who can't make it due to life circumstances such as small children.

However I hate the fact that the cinema business seems set to close, it's a great shame as I know how much it means to so many people. Not to mention the job losses caused by it.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cinema has been on its last gasps before. The multiscreen was the concept that brought it back. Ownership may change as a result of this but I cant imagine it wont be back.

Thats no solace to those facing redundancy of course. Absence of any discernible government strategy is the bigger challenge to these industries.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Popped into my feed: A 40min documentary on how George Miller and his team battled to get Fury Road made. Great stuff.

Spoilers everywhere.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    They needn't have bothered.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!