Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Oh right. I've never seen it, but according to Wiki, no that is called Crime Scene: Scene of the Crime
  • Probably don't watch 'Marshall. Paul Rudd can't even save it.
  • Rewatched Ronin there for the first time in years. The cars chases are so good. I remember them being good but I just thought they were pretty magnificent.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I would rather gouge my eyes out than watch a Veronica Mars film. Why is there a film?

Is that the show she is in in that movie with Russel Brand?

Did you not like Veronica Mars? if you didn’t then yeah it’s shit. We watched the whole series and the film came in the box set.

Like I said it’s the film for people who really like the thing. A happy last (well not anymore) dance with people from before.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Rewatched Ronin there for the first time in years. The cars chases are so good. I remember them being good but I just thought they were pretty magnificent.

Unusual....car chases usually look less impressive when revisiting them. So it's worth celebrating when that happens occasionally.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The Dark and the Wicked is a fantastic little horror. Real tension builder.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Was that at the flicks or streamed?
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • davyK wrote:
    Rewatched Ronin there for the first time in years. The cars chases are so good. I remember them being good but I just thought they were pretty magnificent.

Unusual....car chases usually look less impressive when revisiting them. So it's worth celebrating when that happens occasionally.

I think it's because it all looked practical in a mad Max esque way.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • The Dark and the Wicked is a fantastic little horror. Real tension builder.

I have that ready to go! Bertino is a darn solid horror director. Still been meaning to watch his monster movie even though the reviews for it were a bit meh.
  • I've been watching more of the Leeds Film Festival Stuff...

Dune Drifter:  Very low budget SciFi flick that pulls off a lot with a little.  It opens strongly, introducing a small gang of space-fighter pilots on the way to battle, but sags badly once it gets to the real plot of the film - a pair of pilots crash land on an alien planet, an enemy alien having crashed nearby.  If that sounds familiar, it is, though it's not that 80s episode of Battlestar Galactica with Starbuck and the Cylon.  There's lots of scrabbling about in volcanic deserts, but if I'm honest, not an awful lot else.

Still, I've seen much much worse rendered with much more money. From a technical perspective it's impressive, but from a story telling, one less so.

Caveat:  A down on his luck insomniac is offered a chance to make a bit of cash by an old friend who asks him to babysit his emotionally disturbed niece.  What follows is a wonderfully creepy little flick featuring an antique Duracell bunny, a crossbow, and the titular caveat.  Unfortunately the pacing's not quite right - it slows substantially once it starts to fill in some of the blanks and never really recovers, dropping some of its strongest images and ideas in the process, and swapping them for things more familiar and mundane.

Still, it's brilliantly shot, the small cast works well, and for the first half at least I was nicely uncomfortable.

The Columnist: A Dutch comedy about a left leaning columnist who finds herself attacked by internet trolls and decides to take matters into her own hands.  It's a gleefully unsubtle bit of satire that remains phenomenally fun throughout but then doesn't quite stick the landing. Not that it matters really - its "have your cake and eat it" approach to both gratuitously catering to our worst impulses whilst simultaneously wagging its finger may not change anyone's minds about anything, but it was pretty entertaining none the less. 

Beauty Water:  South Korean animated horror movie. A woman finds herself in possession of the seemingly mythical "Beauty Water" a substance that allows you to become unspeakably beautiful after bathing in it.  Inevitably things go badly wrong.  To the film's credit, there were a couple of points where I was pretty sure I knew where it was going, only for it to go somewhere else entirely. 

However that also means that in places the story's a bit of a mess, and any wider points it might be trying to make about body image, or the way we treat each other based on appearance are largely either lost or undermined entirely.  Which would be fine if was actually scary, but instead it just ends up feeling a bit silly.  Visually it's one of those animations that looks pretty good in stills, but somehow doesn't flow properly, which again leaves it feeling too artificial to really care about what's happening.

I suspect that there are going to be a group of people who absolutely love it, and it certainly gets refreshingly weird in places, but ultimately it just made me shrug.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    OMFG!! 

• Dear lord. Just...no.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Felt like an iron in the face.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    At this stage studios are going through their back catalogue and going “who’s childhood memories can we destroy today?”
  • I think I saw a trailer for Dune Drifter, first thing that came to mind was Enemy Mine.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I have no interest in that Tom and Jerry movie but let's face it, it could be much worse.

At least they haven't given them voices.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I have no interest in that Tom and Jerry movie but let's face it, it could be much worse.

At least they haven't given them voices.

They have
  • Beyond yelps?
    Fucksake
  • I feel like they've had voices before? Maybe in a post-2010 cartoon series reboot?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Where have you got that from? 

They're using existing recordings for Tom and Jerry, and since there is barely any dialogue in all the shorts from either of them, this will mean they're using vocal effects.
  • What? They’re editing in old footage around new film?! Hahaha.
  • No, sorry, existing audio recordings. So Tom and Jerry will have full new animations, but they have taken audio recording from William Hanna and Mel Blanc for the yelps and stuff.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    I feel like they've had voices before? Maybe in a post-2010 cartoon series reboot?

They had voices in the first T&J cartoon movie, for sure.
  • There’s a whole scene about them both being surprised the other can talk.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    They should’ve committed to showing all the live actors from the knee down.
    Things can only get better.
  • That would've been great.  Proper A listers, legs only.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sum of All Fears  A ripping yarn with a fine cast. Degrades into farce a tad toward the end - expected with an adaption of this type of book I suppose - but it entertained me.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The Nightingale. I had been putting it off, and its a tough start, but yeah a great film in the end. You English were right bastards of course, let's not forget.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!