DOOM - Hurt me plenty!
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Not a tremendous amount. Think only a couple of levels left and a couple of levels that are basically boss fights. Only a few hours dude. You getting a little tired of it?
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Moot only likes games that cost less than £1 and last just a couple of hours.

A little of both maybe (plus I've pre-sold it to a badger). I thought the 2016 entry was a couple of hours too long. Brilliant games, first one was close to a [10], best console FPS since Combat Evolved for my money, they just eventually repeat the loop so many times 12-15hrs seems excessive.
  • When will this end?!?! Surely I'm on the last boss now, this is way too much of a good thing. No idea how long I've been playing it but it feels like forever. That's two sequels I've been really looking forward to this year that aren't as good as the previous game (Will-o' the Wisps the other).
  • You'll know what the last boss is, cos it's extremely a last boss. It's a shame you aren't enjoying it so much. I didn't really think it was too long, it took me maybe an hour or two more than the OG with the trade off that it's a better game all round when you end up in the head space of the combat loop. My main issue were the stupid animations you have to watch every time you collect a rune or insert a battery into something.

Think it says something about it that as soon as I finished I started it up on a harder difficulty, but never bothered to do that with Other Doom.
  • It was the last boss, managed to get through it this morning. Got some thinking to do for the review. Your harder difficulty comment is exactly how I felt when the credits rolled on the previous game. I wouldn't even entertain the idea here though. Glad I bought it, had fun overall, but it never felt like I got gud enough to fully enjoy it.
  • Interesting, I think the combat in DOOM'16 is not only simpler but also shallower. I pushed back against Eternal's new mechanics initially, but when I finally gave them a chance to bed in, I realised they were superior. I guess the length thing is to do with the fact that it's a game where you have to be switched on for the WHOLE time you're playing, a bit lik DMC or Bayonetta. No lazy time when you're in combat.
  • Started Doom Eternal 2 nights ago and, wow, it’s an impressive game. Looks incredible (PS4 Pro), even at 1080p, and plays superbly. Makes me wonder how necessary an uplift in resolution is, but I guess I won’t know until I’ve bought a 4K TV.

I was initially frustrated by the lack of ammo, but as others have said, you need to use the mechanics to your advantage. It’s great when it clicks. The jumping sections are good at breaking the combat up, but can also be a little annoying from time to time.

Side note: I’ve been playing on my Switch a lot more these days and have barely used by PS4 in comparison. Going back to the DualShock 4 after the Switch Pro Pad isn’t a good experience. I’m not too fussed about the stick placement, but how loose they feel compared to the Switch Pro. Really hope this is fixed with the PS5 pad, but I have my doubts it will be.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    mate it looks ballin in 4k
  • Levels are long! Got to level 4 last night.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Levels are long! Got to level 4 last night.

I managed to complete 4 last night. There’s a big game there for sure.
  • It’s not an easy game! What’s normal? I’m playing it on Hurt Me Plenty which I think is “I play FPSes but not l33t”?

It’s all nice and well letting me do precision shots to get rid of enemy weapons to make them easier (which I like and enjoy doing) but fuck me I get rushed by other fuckers while doing that cos I’m just not good enough to aim and hit quickly!

The music and the fight tempo is just so adrenaline pumping. Love it.
  • Hurt Me Plenty is normal, yep
  • Think I’ll leave the Slayer Gates for later!
  • Aye, watched that yesterday. Unintentionally hilarious responses from some of the devs that just seem to be utterly clueless about what's going on. Good stuff.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Think I’ll leave the Slayer Gates for later!

Do them now, coward
  • I wet my pants on the first one, I’m too weak!
  • I really want to buy this, sounds like fun. Unfortunately checked my current account and had £32 left in it. 10 more days till payday.

*not trying to be an arsehole btw, realise peeps have been furlough'd and i should be grateful for still having work.
  • Some of these fights are so intense! Level 4 is fugly as hell but I like the structure.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    With reference to Doom Eternal, am posting without comment, apart from the author is a mate, but he works more woth bands than games
    Ben wrote:
    I was contacted by a friend who is Game journalist for my professional opinion on the DOOM eternal and Mick Gordon soundtrack situation and i figured i would post it to facebook with some analysers in the comments to show what has happened

Ok the only way i can explain this in laymen terms is the following

What has happened in the mix and the master is actually quite unbelievable

Sonically MIck's own mix and master is sitting at a solid -10.8 RMS for my referenced song which is your standard commercial loudness for an incredible dense metal mix

As you can see the provided analyser and wave grabs there is more dynamics and perceived loudness although it is actually quieter in waveform and less limited and compressed
    Micks mix along the spectrum is much more balanced and even with all ranges of frequency being more balanced and the transient and dynamic response being better controlled

Mick almost has an EDM style of mixing to his Metal stuff where stuff is hitting compressors very hard in sequence sidechaining other compressors to do different things and react differently to the dynamics going on in the song, when these big huge kick and snare drops are smashing into a wall of downtuned 9 string chainsaw guitars it sort of pushes back and punches incredibly hard. Its quite ingenious and he does go into it in great detail in one of his GDC talks if you ever get a chance to watch it you should

Simply put, Micks mix and master is world class and would be worthy of not only sound design awards but sound mixing awards and combined with Ermin Hamidovic who is literally THE GOD OF MASTERING it would have been perfect. Ermin is so revered himself that back when i was learning i read the systematic guide to mixing and it taught me more than a 3 year university course, which was seen as the heavy mix BIBLE. Written by Ermin Hamidovic, im sure Mick himself would have no doubt been inspired by this fine book himself

Mick's mix reference was to the most popular song that has been floating around, "Meathook"

Now onto the mixing of the 2nd track which is obviously not Mick, "Metal Hell". I found a track closest that resembled low guitars and heavy edm segments

To put it short this mix/master is so dynamically destroyed its barely even listenable. Coming in at a whopping -4.9 RMS whilst clipping to oblivion the mix is a total mess. Looking over at the general spectrum and balance we can also see that it is heavily scooped in the mid range and is missing a lot of essential content found in micks mixes

I fully believe you could give this song to a 20 year old metal kid in a band who is learning from a great online course like Nail The Mix and you could submit it for the monthly mix and it would yield better results, not really what you want when its a world class game developer following up one of the most anticipated modern games with a soundtrack to boot

Many joked that they couldn't wait to get there Free Game with the new Mick Gordon album and it couldn't be more true

Mick Gordon hasn't just revolutionised game design with his sound design, he has reinvented the wheel.
    He has created something that makes you as the player feel a sense of power and immortality

He has given you, your own boss music. You are the final boss, the only thing they fear is you

From a design standpoint it is outstanding, compared to some great sound design games like Dark Souls with their iconic boss music that gives the player a sense of fear and concern. In Doom and Doom Eternal when that boss music kicks in, its your soundtrack, its your boss music and you are an unkillable demon slaying demi god worthy of something as ridiculous and hype as the Warhammer 40k Universe and it hypes you up, you feel a sense of power and connection to the game and im at least 90% sure this is down to the soundtrack behind it. Obviously the game is great and in a class of its own too

What has happened here is absolutely abhorrent and tragic for the people involved whose passions are in it. MIck Gordon seemed to live for this soundtrack and professions like Ermin have also been screwed out of one of there most passionate works to date

Moving forward i think ID and Bethesda will be at a great loss as this is the biggest step forward in game soundtracks in years and it is an absolute shambles to rush this out with such poor attention to detail when the work that has gone into it is nothing short of mastercrafted

It's like someone has taken someones 10'000 hours of mastery and used a mobile gaming pay to win boost to skip to the end but with unyielding results that are poor compared to the source, like your beloved franchises that were put to the b team or external
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I mean it’s interesting, but also really niche. I doubt a single person - not in the mixing/mastering trade - has noticed a thing.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    TBF I love Gaines, but the minute he said send whatever you like and immediately gt pissy about minus 10Db

fuck him
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Fuck the Marauder demon thing. He’s down now, but I didn’t ask for Sekiro in my Doom.
  • Guess I’ve gotta come to that still. Doom Hunter was a bit of a cunt. Took me ages.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Fuck the Marauder demon thing. He’s down now, but I didn’t ask for Sekiro in my Doom.
    Spoiler:
  • Legit advice, sorted me out.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:
    Fuck the Marauder demon thing. He’s down now, but I didn’t ask for Sekiro in my Doom.
    Spoiler:

Cheers, Vere. That's how he went down in the end, but I can't say I'm a fan. The Sekiro comment was around only attacking when there's a 'tell' from the enemy - which isn't consistent with the world that Doom had built up to that point, across Eternal or 2016 (unless I'm forgetting something in the previous game).

All other enemies can be taken down through (a) sheer damage, or (b) a particular approach with a weapon, but this particular enemy requires nothing but timing. Not good from my perspective and, while I expect to face another one of them again at some stage, I hope that it's not too often.
  • No I totally agree. Wait till you have a marauded and several other enemies. They’re a total pain in the ass. Though if you’re really quick the BFG is a one hit kill after the initial break.
  • This boss on penultimate level is such a tedious boring fight. Can’t I somehow skip it?
  • Spoiler:

Did it; but it was just tedious doing the same thing 5 times. The fight got really annoying.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!