DOOM - Hurt me plenty!
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Spoiler:

Did it; but it was just tedious doing the same thing 5 times. The fight got really annoying.

Oh god yes I hated that fight!!!
  • Reminded by the covid thread, I really like Decino's content, and he uploaded an insight into the RNG of the Revenant's missiles yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1183VuvJ6Q

Always enjoy these dives into the code.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice.  Great that iD always release their source code to the community. Was quite a revolutionary idea back when Doom's source was released.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • This week's Blindboy Podcast is with John and Brenda Romero, Doom fans.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Properly started Eternal now that Ive learnt m&k to a competent level.

Fuck.me what a game, whoever pefers 2016 over this is a lunatic. Slayer Gates are the bomb.

Making you constantly switch and flow the battlefield rather than just ammo overload is a genius idea. You really need to use all tools at your disposal, including traversal.
  • When you get to the Marauders let’s talk about 2016.
  • Marauders are the best. They reeaaaallly change up the dynamic. Does get a bit Benny Hill though during the busier fights.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Elf sent me this over a month ago and I've still not played it.
  • Elf sent me this over a month ago and I've still not played it.

It’s really good, but not better than the 2016 reboot. Don’t listen to DS.
  • Oh no not another one of those people.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It’s just not. It’s really good, but the new systems force you to play in a particular way, whereas the reboot was a bit more open to the player to choose how to play.
  • Choice doesn’t always equal better. I really enjoyed it, but 2016 has a lack of meaningful distinction between its weapons, meaning you can effectively swap between any of them at will, but with the machine gun getting infinite rockets and a huge well of ammo it just becomes a crutch.

Eternal forcing you to engage with all of it’s weapons due to low ammo counts starts off annoying but reveals itself to be a brilliant design choice because you have to get used to the intricacies of evey weapon, and remain aware of what you’ve got in the tank for each gun, which enemies they fare best against, and consider which enemies you need to prioritise to splatter or glory kill. I think the only dropped ball is the Arbalest, which feels a tad too slow, but it has its limited use cases. Everything else comes up in the rotation, even the Shotgun has a reason to be used vs the Supershotgun, which could have easily been an flat upgrade.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I use the main shotgun a lot as its 3x shell upgrade is powerful as all fuck.

Im playing on the normal equivalent and die a fair bit as im still ham fisted with keyboard controls, shit really ramps up after the opening section. Can see this being a bastard to play with pad though as its so insanely hectic and once you get into the flow with k&m it feels phenomenal.

Its so damn intense though that I can only play 2 or 3 hours at a time as you need to be on the ball.
  • Rarely bothered with the 3x shot on the regular shotgun, mainly used it for saving ammo against smaller stuff vs the Super, and the explosive shot. For a game that makes you jump through its hoops to play it well, it has a lot of breadth to your ability to approach it. Plays like a good spectacle fighter in that regard.
  • I use the main shotgun a lot as its 3x shell upgrade is powerful as all fuck.

Im playing on the normal equivalent and die a fair bit as im still ham fisted with keyboard controls, shit really ramps up after the opening section. Can see this being a bastard to play with pad though as its so insanely hectic and once you get into the flow with k&m it feels phenomenal.

Its so damn intense though that I can only play 2 or 3 hours at a time as you need to be on the ball.

I died a lot on the PS4, but got there in the end. I just felt like I was bouncing off its systems all the time and I rarely had a run of more than 10 minutes without dying. Spoilt the flow for me.
  • Syph79, am i still ok to borrow this from you when u get it back?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Rarely bothered with the 3x shot on the regular shotgun, mainly used it for saving ammo against smaller stuff vs the Super, and the explosive shot. For a game that makes you jump through its hoops to play it well, it has a lot of breadth to your ability to approach it. Plays like a good spectacle fighter in that regard.

Definitely, the introduction of clear weak points really adds strategy to the battlefield, regrouping to some extent to zoom in in the heavy machine gun, scoping in to hit those crits and then wade back in.

Its a wonderful thing. Ive done two slayer gates so far also, those things are nails.
  • I couldn’t ever swap out the Classic Shotty, using the pull assist to throw you around the map as speed was awesome and kept the combos going.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Syph79, am i still ok to borrow this from you when u get it back?

Absolutely mate
  • Tempy wrote:
    Rarely bothered with the 3x shot on the regular shotgun, mainly used it for saving ammo against smaller stuff vs the Super, and the explosive shot. For a game that makes you jump through its hoops to play it well, it has a lot of breadth to your ability to approach it. Plays like a good spectacle fighter in that regard.

Definitely, the introduction of clear weak points really adds strategy to the battlefield, regrouping to some extent to zoom in in the heavy machine gun, scoping in to hit those crits and then wade back in.

Its a wonderful thing. Ive done two slayer gates so far also, those things are nails.

Slayer gates are great. I kept trying it on and off with a controller and despite usually finding it easy enough to switch back and forth, it really felt far more natural with a mouse. Some of the later gates are a real rush!
  • I liked the marauders in the end but I'm also in the 2016 club.
  • https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-26-doom-eternals-latest-update-adds-new-battlemode-map-doom-classic-filter-more

Doom Eternal's latest update adds new Battlemode map, Doom Classic filter, more
    Ups the frequency of Empowered Demon

Meanwhile, over in campaign mode, Empowered Demons will now appear in-game on a more frequent basis. Empowered Demons, if you're unfamiliar, are particularly deadly (but optional) opponents with a unique trick; they're designed to hop from one player's solo campaign to another every time they successfully eliminate the campaign's host, growing more and more powerful until a player brings their reign to an end.

today's update also adds a few new ones, including a Doom Classic filter, which pixels things up and applies a 256-colour palette.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Etenal is just the best thing ever. Just had a four hour session on it fly by
  • I just gotta be patient to get it from syph79. Im playing alien isolation and got project cars 2 coming so i can wait. But i certainly will be eager to play when it does.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    I just gotta be patient to get it from syph79. Im playing alien isolation and got project cars 2 coming so i can wait. But i certainly will be eager to play when it does.

I’ve asked my mate if he can speed up a little for you Dino.
  • Etenal is just the best thing ever. Just had a four hour session on it fly by

You on PC DS? M&K? It felt weird with a controller. I'm gonna give it another shot once I'm done with TLou2...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Etenal is just the best thing ever. Just had a four hour session on it fly by

You on PC DS? M&K? It felt weird with a controller. I'm gonna give it another shot once I'm done with TLou2...

Yeah man m&k in all FPS now, its a million times better now i've kinda got the hang of it.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    I just gotta be patient to get it from syph79. Im playing alien isolation and got project cars 2 coming so i can wait. But i certainly will be eager to play when it does.

I’ve asked my mate if he can speed up a little for you Dino.

Dude no need. There was no hinting there. Im cool. No rush. Let your mate enjoy it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!