DOOM - Hurt me plenty!
  • What a god awful level of steamimg turd. So far this is a massive disappointment of a game. Onto cultist base.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    What's the issue()s in the 40 minutes you've played? The first post kinda signifies you went into it pissed off so of course its gonna sour whatever.

I could be going deep into a supermodel but if I've looked into the mirror and I'm a drooling mess its gonna spoil the experience.
  • I really didnt enjoy the level with all the platforming and lava and gameplay still hasnt resonated with me yet. Feels a pale imitation of doom 2016 which i loved.

I did google that level and plenty of videos and comments from other people who hated the lava platforms stuff as well.
  • One of the first rooms in Doom Hunter base was fun. Did have to reload a checkpoint on previous level due to a glitch. Ended up youtubing the bit i was stuck on and realised a animation didnt happen which meant i was stuck. Reload checkpoint and the animation was completed and i could continue.

• Only 1 hour to go till son goes to bed and hopefully i can get back on this. I want to see whats next. Thats a good sign for me.
  • Double energy bars for bosses? What is this 1990s? Shit lazy game design.
  • Just more layers to peel off baby
  • Please stop peeling babies.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Double energy bars for bosses? What is this 1990s? Shit lazy game design.

I think you should probably stop playing before the fight after this one.
  • He probably should’ve stopped playing a while ago based on his posts.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Surely a good old fashioned Hate-Play is entirely keeping with the Doom ethos.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Surely a good old fashioned Hate-Play is entirely keeping with the Doom ethos.

Yep, buff totems can get to fuck. Im gonna carry on but this is shit compared to the 2016 doom.
  • It’s not shit. It’s just somewhat different. And clearly not to your playstyle. 

You probably haven’t even met the best enemy in the game yet...
  • In my opinion its shit. Thats not your opinion. Each to our own opinions. I just dont enjoy it anywhere near as much as Doom 2016. I'm not the only one, Wired agree with me.

https://www.wired.com/story/doom-eternal-review/

"..Doom Eternal Is a Dizzying Catastrophe
    It's immense, messy, and not nearly as good as the original..."
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    And plenty of others disagree. I dont see the posting of one review as some 'aha' thing.

I'm firmly in the Eternal is outstanding and makes 2016 look drab in comparison but going off the posts, which is all we have, you were moaning before you even booted it which doesnt, especially in my situ, lead to a good time with something.

By all means dislike it, nobody is saying you can't but if youre calling every mechanism shit now it isnt suddenly going to flip into liking it.

It literally just has to be played differently to 2016.
  • Yeah people have opinions. 

I am confused as to why people like Eternal less than 2016. I've been back to 2016 after my recent second completion of Eternal, and... it just flees flat and bland in comparison. Movement speed is faster, but the lack of dash makes jogging over to enemies to glory kill them feel incredibly pedestrian after Eternal's double jump, dashing and crashing around the place.  

I read the WIRED review a few days ago, and though I massively agree that the plot is a load of boring, messy bullshit, I also agree with Muncy's assessment that the combat adds more elements, but then the review ends before really getting into why this is bad. 

Diego at Into the Spine wrote about how Doom wrote the rules, Doom 2016 came back after decades of mediocre single player FPS action to reiterate how important those rules were, and did so with aplomb. Then ID had a choice, make a 2016 part 2, or do something different. Eternal is that something different: it tears up 2016 and rebuilds it completely differently. 

I suspect the reason you don't get on with it Dino is much like how you didn't get on Sekiro. Eternal and Sekiro both very much need yo to play to their tune to get the most out of them, if you engage with their mechanics on their terms, accept that they are not the games before them, but their own thing, then you're in for a great time. 

I am going to persevere with 2016 during my run through, but I cannot stop my little finger from reaching for that dash button every few seconds. I feel like i've got training wheels on.
  • Plenty of people like it i just dont. I prefered the simplicity and the rock-paper-siccsors mechanic of the first game. The level design doesnt do anything for me either. Prefer the mars setting of the first game.

Anyway im gonna carry on playing and moaning most probably. Not to troll anyone btw, just my thoughts as i go through it. Ignore my posts if they antagonize you.
  • Not antagonising at all. But just because you don’t like the game and aren’t enjoying it, doesn’t mean it’s shit. It’s just not your cup of tea. It plays different to 2016. Different approach. You need to constantly be on your toes and switch up weapons and tactics, it’s just brutal and manic and unforgiving.

It’s the way you seem to suggest that it’s categorically shit that I take issue with.
  • Got to Arc Complex. Thats me for tonight. Really should have gone to bed a few hours ago.
  • Arc Complex was fun. Really enjoyed that. Boss was abit meh. Anyway onto Mars.
  • Got to Nekravol. A few levels left. Hopefully i can finish tonight then trade it in for Metro Exodus in the morning.
  • What difficulty are you playing on Dino?
  • The one the game starts with think its the normal one.
  • Thought id have this finished tonight but thats not the case. Got to Final Sin (last level) and im going to bed. Khan Maykor was an exercise in patience with 5 energy bars or something. Anyway chaingun with shield then meat hook and punch. Get more ammo and rinse and repeat.

The jumping between the various building floating in space earlier in that level were well fecking annoying.

Hopefully finish this tomorrow, ive already had enough of it, but only one level left so might as well see it through.
  • Just drop the difficulty if you have to. Nothing to be gained from getting frustrated at a video game of all things.
  • Yeh i could do. However its gone. Had to pop into town to get some library books for my son. Popped into CEX while i was there. Doom Eternal is gone now as is F1 2020 and NFS Heat. Got Metro Exodus, Wolfenstein 2, Mario All Stars and Luigi Mansion 3. All with trade ins and store credit.
  • You'd played the best stages anyway.

I had Wolfenstein 2 briefly, did not like. Metro Exodus had a very strong start but the campaign length put me off. Might go back with BC performance at some point.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    You'd played the best stages anyway.

I had Wolfenstein 2 briefly, did not like. Metro Exodus had a very strong start but the campaign length put me off. Might go back with BC performance at some point.

They’re releasing a next gen update for Metro Exodus.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Wolfenstein was a £6 punt. Metro was £15. Two very different shooters.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    You'd played the best stages anyway.

They’re releasing a next gen update for Metro Exodus.

Nice, would that be applied to the gamepass version do you reckon?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!