DOOM - Hurt me plenty!
  • Great games for sure...but they're just not as good as Quake. 
    Quake was lightning in a bottle.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'll still say Doom/2 are the high point, I think the back end of Quake tails off a bit? This is from memory around the time it came out tho so I need to revist :D

Wouldn't argue against the opinion tho, I think it's mainly 'do you like 2.5D or 3D?'

Can't wait to play a bit later. Xplay with Steam if anyone fancies a bit.
  • It's shockingly good isn't it.  Think I like it better than recent visits to Doom/2 (I kept getting lost after the first few maps in those, as they got more labyrinthine).  

Playing on Switch, I know it's not exactly a technical beast but surprisingly it can't run with all the graphics trappings on at 60 FPS.  Really like the low resolution 90's 3D graphics though so it's not really an issue.  Keen to have a look at the PC version to see if there's much of a difference.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Is Quake III PC only at this stage?
  • Unfortunately. Fingers crossed it gets a port.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • CDKeys are doing Quake PC for £1.39.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Is Quake III PC only at this stage?

Pretty sure they said QII and III following on console soon/ish. PC only for now.
  • Quake is brilliant fun. Would be well worth getting a forum game in. It's just ludicrous.
  • I'd forgotten how straight up arseholey the level design in this is. Sen's Fortress took notes I swear.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I'm just so surprised that I get the remastered version of Quake because I owned the original on Steam. Not many games companies would do that.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Quake II was terrible, Reg! Run, run, run... a hardware-hogging monster. Run, run, run...

The original's lame singleplayer was saved by its MP maps, and most of all, the dawn of user-friendly modding with Deathmatch Maker. Until then we had to mess around with BSP alignment errors.
  • Actually Quake's singleplayer is good and fun, as I am rediscovering.
  • I’ve only ever played Quake 3. Will try first one.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I played it briefly on Saturn, which was more of a technical marvel than a particularly good game.  Interested in playing an update of the proper thing though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Played Quake (or 2 can't remember) deathmatch on the office LAN. Was a genuine hoot.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah, we did the same with OG Quake.  My friend Andrew would only use the axe.  Needless to say he died a lot, but when he did get a kill he was justifiably stoked.
  • First Quake I played was Quake 2 on the N64, because it was being touted as this great game. I didn’t enjoy it much and took it back.

Have always wanted to go back and try them out. Would have loved a Doom 2016 style reboot though, surely that’s on the way? I played some Quake 3 arena on PS2, that was fun. Oh and some of that Quake 4 campaign on 360 and thought was quite good too.

Most all PC shooters completely alluded me, never really played doom before Doom 3. We had a Mac at home so only had Marathon and Marathon 2. Also OG Wolfenstein but my mum wouldn’t let us play when she saw all the swastikas.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Would have loved a Doom 2016 style reboot though, surely that’s on the way?.

That’s the rumour. Featuring a female lead.
  • Fantastic, I really liked the wolfenstein reboot as well, new order.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Actually Quake's singleplayer is good and fun, as I am rediscovering.

It's fantastic. I get murdered by a horde of something with no faces, and go straight back in for some more. I think the difference between this and Doom Eternal (which I've been playing recently too) is that my deaths always feel like my fault. It's easy to make a game difficult, but to make something challenging is the real, um, challenge.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Fantastic, I really liked the wolfenstein reboot as well, new order.

New Order is stellar. New Colossus, ehhhh... 

I gave up on New Blood when I saw it had emotes. High five your AI buddy to celebrate a Nazi well murdered! Feck owf.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    new order.

Everything's gone brown.

Quake's top-tier audio lent it a memorable atmosphere, and I did love modding it. But yeah — sure was brown. Shubba!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:

I gave up on New Blood when I saw it had emotes. High five your AI buddy to celebrate a Nazi well murdered! Feck owf.

I think I preferred NC to NO myself.
  • Just gave up on New Colossus, found it boring and annoying. But then again I'm bored to tears with 95% of AAA stuff these days, they're mostly all extrememly derivative and filled with game design tropes that aren't actually particularly fun or interesting.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:

I agree, I quite liked NC to a point but then completely dropped it after the whole crazy thing which unlocks new abilities. Didn’t even both with NB.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I think I preferred NC to NO myself.

Horses for courses. Ya weirdo. ;)
    Just gave up on New Colossus, found it boring and annoying
    I agree, I quite liked NC to a point but then completely dropped it after the whole crazy thing which unlocks new abilities.

Seconded. Especially after a certain point* I found it exactly that. I'm hoping they can rescue the series, maybe do an expanded Old Blood, that was also top banana.

Spoiler:
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    In other news, it usually takes me roughly the same amount of time to realise that there's a Marauder even in the room.

• Blue Swirl wrote:
    In other news, it usually takes me roughly the same amount of time to realise that there's a Marauder even in the room.

Love it.

Picked this game up a few days ago. Hated it at first, but started to get into it and now loving it whilst simultaneously feeling that I don't quite have the skills to absolutely boss it. But that's OK. As long as I have my moments. I respect a game with such a huge skill ceiling.
  • I may have posted this before, but just had the urge to dip in again - a no-hit TAS of infamous Slaughter map Okuplok by Zero Master (one of the top classic Doom runners). Just staggering how long this must've taken. I like skipping to random parts in the video, almost guaranteed a wtf.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!