The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • TheDJR wrote:
    @tin_robot
    Spoiler:

I missed that having never read either book - may have a look, thanks.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Well Nick, that's me trumped ;)
  • Haha I meant it could be worse for me. Just have to accept what you've got innit.
  • Started Blood and Wine, the new area is HUGE, puts other dlc to shame.
  • My god, this is stunning.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Heard it's a lot more vibrant and warm.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Finished the wedding. Swineherd Crown is amazing.
  • CDProjekt have done an amazing job with the updates, free dlc and paid ones for this game, it's refreshing to see a developer care so much.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    If the first hour of Blood & Wine is only first to second gear then this is going to be phenomenal. The music, colour palette, little touches on buildings and town NPCs. It's like if Don Quixote was actually about a mutant monster hunter.

And
    Spoiler:
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Hearts of Stone was pretty good. Spoiled by
    Spoiler:
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Surprised by how glowing RPS was of HoS. As a character focused story it had more than a few duff notes I thought. Imo Bloody B was handled substantially better as a familial tragedy.

Also The Caretaker is a piece of piss compared to every other boss in that DLC.
  • I thought he was quite difficult.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    M8 it's just dodge Alan Titchmarsh for a bit then win the easter egg hunt when he hits half health.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Toussaint has a strong Final Fantasy world vibe about it. In a good way.

And they're learning the art of real time drama rather than relying on cutscenes. Just made it to the arena and hearing the roars of the crowd and thumping of blows on armour, pushing through a milling line of people outside, fantastically atmospheric.
  • I've been mostly ignoring the main quest in Blood and Wine so far, and have been merrily riding around Toussaint getting into random scrapes.  Just as with the original game, there are some excellent side quests hidden away in there.  Without saying too much there's also at least one, relatively simple, low level quest that results in a ridiculously good weapon.  

I also had an all out Gwent session, assembling the full Skellige deck, and entering the tournament.  It's worth playing a few rounds with the full deck before entering the tournament as it's a pretty powerful deck, but only once you've wrapped your head around it - you have to play very differently (or at least I do)...
  • So, I unexpectedly had some time become available and bought the expansions. I managed to put in a good few hours today but still haven't started either of them - not for lack of willing, it's simply a matter of being under-levelled. On NG+ the level requirements (well, recommendations) for them are 62 and 64.

And, given that a) I've heard there's some tough fights and b) I'm playing on death march, I decided I wouldn't go in early. I'm up to 54 now, and should hit 55 soon, so hopefully I won't be waiting too long. Yes, I know I can drop in with a pre-levelled Geralt but...I want my own kit and skills.

Anyway, due to the EA sale that has been on recently I also picked up Dragon Age: Inquisition. And Jesus fuck if the difference in quality isn't night and day. It's actually weird how badly DA:I gets shown up in almost every single department. World design, combat, story, characters, romance, choice and consequence, horse riding and animation (which is weird as I find TW3's horse and general animations to be the weakest parts of the game) - the works. I know I'm not the first to say this but, fuck...

Anyway, it'd been weeks since I last played this, so it took a while to re-familiarise myself with the controls. While doing that I was struggling to get to grips with it again, and then I made a mistake and found myself trapped in the middle of a pack of wolves and a Leshen. My heart went crazy, Muscle memory kicked in, they were all dispatched, I felt like punching the air.

Later I did a quest I had done on a previous playthrough, but picked a different ending - which, in turn led to a completely different outcome and a completely new (and utterly amazing) mission I had never seen before in all my time playing this game. I gather everyone else has encountered The Cave of Dreams - but this was my first time.

I am still getting blown away by this game. Every time I think I've seen all it has to offer I go down a new rabbit hole and don't come out for hours. I am so fucking psyched for the expansions!!!
  • I couldn't play Dragon Age, felt like a relic, completely boring.
  • btw we need to change our GOTY rules so that we can vote for Blood and Wine.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I was all over Dragon Age but got bored by 40 hours or so, then this dropped, took a chance and it opened my eyes to a new style of game.
  • This is one of those games which is a reason why I bought a new console and which I keep forgetting to buy. Loved the 2nd game - maybe it's time to pick this up.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Try and get a version that comes with the season pass, both expansions are utterly excellent.
  • Will do. However looking on Amazon for it has reminded me that I don't own Shadows of Mordor either. Not enough fucking time for all of this.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • TheDJR wrote:
    btw we need to change our GOTY rules so that we can vote for Blood and Wine.

Yep.  Easy winner so far, and I've already clocked up more hours on it than on many stand alone releases.  (And that's despite still most ignoring the main quest...)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Fucking Ermion.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    TheDJR wrote:
    btw we need to change our GOTY rules so that we can vote for Blood and Wine.
    Yep.  Easy winner so far, and I've already clocked up more hours on it than on many stand alone releases.  (And that's despite still most ignoring the main quest...)

Yeah, it's mine so far too and I've only played it for about half a dozen hours.
  • Gremill wrote:
    This is one of those games which is a reason why I bought a new console and which I keep forgetting to buy. Loved the 2nd game - maybe it's time to pick this up.

Seriously, get this!!!

I'm 50 hours into my 3rd playthrough, nowhere near the end and I'm still finding new stuff and I still haven't touched the (apparently excellent) expansions!

This is not a "good" game - this is truly an all time Top 100 job, maybe in my top 10 ever. It's incredible and I am only loving it more and more.

• Yes, I know I can drop in with a pre-levelled Geralt but...I want my own kit and skills.

Good call.  I'd deleted my old saves, and tried playing with the default Geralt.  He doesn't feel like he's my Geralt though, it's just not the same.. 

A good reason to start fresh and play though 3 again.  Will do that once Fire Emblem and Tokyo Mirage Sessions are taken care of.

Also, and I say this as a Dragon Age 3 fan - it's hard to remember a game so utterly trumped by another a few short months after its release.  So many dull quests.  You can play half the game listening to podcasts and not miss out on much.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Yes, I know I can drop in with a pre-levelled Geralt but...I want my own kit and skills.

Good call.  I'd deleted my old saves, and tried playing with the default Geralt.  He doesn't feel like he's my Geralt though, it's just not the same.. 

Yeah, it's weird how much "ownership" I can feel over such a predefined character. Testament to the writing, I suppose.
    Also, and I say this as a Dragon Age 3 fan - it's hard to remember a game so utterly trumped by another a few short months after its release.  So many dull quests.  You can play half the game listening to podcasts and not miss out on much.

Yeah, I think that's the kicker. FFXII also did the offline MMO trick but worked as there wasn't so much uninspired padding. I think DA:I has some good stuff, but there's just too much boring and forgetable busywork in there. I liked it at first but it quickly became a fetch-quest slog.
  • Had a spare few hours yesterday, so put this on for the first time in over three weeks. Love the world design, but the stop start nature of quests, overlong dialogues and scrappy combat are turning me off. I've started skipping through conversations now which I gather is a huge part of the game.

It's losing me...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!