The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Andy wrote:
    I still don't think it's totes-amazeballs, but it's got me interested enough to keep playing.
    Pretty much, although I've taken a break from it again. Got a bit bored after finishing the last major quest (find Dandelion) because it just went on so long. Far too much padding.

Now I'm done with The Witness I'll probably go back and attempt the next location.
  • I gave up on the game a few weeks ago. I appreciate the visuals and the voice acting, but mechanically it feels janky and the combat is weak.

As with many games like these, it's bogged down with so many items and inventory clutter that it put me off wanting to bother with any of them at all. None feel special. There's such a thing as too much. Hundreds of different crafting items to make potions that do essentially three or four different things - healing, stamina regen, increase crit chance and magic potency.

It's all such a cumbersome way to achieve very little in combat. Mechanics like toxicity seem unnecessary.

In between combat, I fatigued with the fetch quests and go here, go there, spidey sense stuff mixed with lengthy but dull dialogue trees.

The lag when bringing up the world map and scrolling through menus is also annoying.

I dunno, I just got bogged down with it all. Such a pretty game but I've come to realise I just don't do games like this anymore.
  • I tried playing last night for the first time since Nov 2015 when I stopped - 19 gig update so I sacked it.

Hopefully it's ready tonight.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I dunno, I just got bogged down with it all. Such a pretty game but I've come to realise I just don't do games like this anymore.

Yup, pretty much it. Times change, I guess.
  • Can someone give me a rough idea how long this game is, just in terms of the main story? I've just recently arrived in Skellige - is that about half way at least?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Well I went 220 hours without completing it before I gave up, but a lot was side quests/Gwent.
  • That's pretty much the opposite of what I wanted to know, but I appreciate the effort.
  • Cheers.

I've lost track how much I've played so far thought. Could be around 30 hours already, even a bit more, but I've been doing quite a few optional bits so far (no Gwent though).

I'd like to finish it, but it depends how much is left.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Just arriving at Skellige isn't much of an indication of how far you are. Have you found Dandelion yet? Found any of The B Baron's family?
  • I clocked in at about 90 hours with a relatively lean play through.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Just arriving at Skellige isn't much of an indication of how far you are. Have you found Dandelion yet? Found any of The B Baron's family?
    Oh yeah, I've finished those sections. This is my only primary quest option atm.
  • JonB wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Oh yeah, I've finished those sections. This is my only primary quest option atm.

I would guess that you're about 2/3 of the way through based on how I played. I'll confess Skellige was the point at which I stopped just pissing about in every village, and instead focussed on finishing the main story (and secondary quests).
  • Blood and Wine done. Gonna chill for a bit then write some thoughts later.
  • Finally got all the downloads back so that my save would load, loaded it, screen was chockablock with popups and I thought nah and went and played some Souls which I didn't really enjoy either. I need a new hobby.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Not feeling he gaming at the moment?
  • Nothing is capturing my imagination and the challenge that most provide is unappealing to take on, feels like effort.

I'm going to go buy loads of produce at lunch time, take it home and cook quality food each night instead.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Clutching fading embers. At least you're not the only one man ;)
  • It's got to the point where I have so little time to do it, that when I do have time, I forgot why I wanted to.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    That's why I find it hard to play big games now. Some weeks I can go several days without having any time so I find it very hard to become engaged in a game world when I can't afford the time required to become invested. That's why I'm playing simple grind games now that don't require any thought, I just log into them when I have some time and play. Story driven games are a big no no for me currently, as I'll just forget what I was meant to be doing :P
  • It's got to the point where I have so little time to do it, that when I do have time, I forgot why I wanted to.

This.

I've lost any real impulse to bother with games these days. My Xbox is a media player first and foremost. Part of the malaise may be the summer season and having no time, but most of it is just a complete disinterest in the medium in its current state.

Very little available now or coming in the future is treading any new ground, and I find myself sighing when I see an age old videogame trope rear its ugly head in a new game.

The last game I actually enjoyed was Inside, and that can be got through in a couple of hours. Just right, and interesting to boot. Even that had some videogame idiosyncrasies thrown in though.

These big AAA releases are just swollen to bursting with shit that isn't needed, to please the masses. I now prefer, leaner, more refined experiences that are polished, not huge epics with shonky mechanics.

Gonna try Hyper Light Drifter if I get any time in the next year. It's out today on Xbox. :)
  • I can totally understand this.  I felt the same way with Fallout 4, I played it a bit, but ultimately decided I couldn't be bothered.  Conversely though, I find I'm more likely to stick with a game with some sort of narrative, than I am with one without.  Purely because if the story manages to engage me, that's enough to keep me going, and ploughing in the time.  (I found the Witcher world interesting, I found Fallout's kind of dull.  I appreciate this is far from a universal opinion.)
  • So.

That's all done and dusted then.

I suppose it's a testament to the draw of the game that the first thing I wanted to do after polishing the whole lot off (again) with DLC (for the first time) was go back and start over. I doubt I'll ever see everything the game has to offer (there were so many missions I missed first time round that I had no idea existed) but it doesn't matter.

So, Blood and Wine...
    Spoiler:
  • Level 80, Haiyoooo!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Had a bit of crack with adored about this at the weekend. I've definitely felt that feeling being overwhelmed by it, which is odd as a living breathing world filled with characters and depth is exactly what I've been crying out for. Now it's here and it unsurprisingly needs a bit of effort to see quests etc. through I find myself dipping in and out if it periodically.

It's definitely not a problem with the game, more with how much time I have to commit to it. I'll keep chipping away at it, and probably get round to the DLC in a few years, as I absolutely love what I've played so far.
    Spoiler:
  • So, Blood and Wine...
    Spoiler:

I guess I'll just spoiler my bit of the conversation too...
    Spoiler:
  • tin_robot wrote:
    So, Blood and Wine...
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I'd agree with all of that. Especially the last 2 things you mentioned. I also got a
    Spoiler:
    Reference.

My ending was different. Could best be summarised with the word...
    Spoiler:

More things I love about it?
    Spoiler:

Another disappointment?
    Spoiler:
  • God I love this game.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    So, Blood and Wine...
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    I'd agree with all of that. Especially the last 2 things you mentioned. I also got a
    Spoiler:
    Reference. 

Yes!  I don't know how I forgot that one.
    Spoiler:
    My ending was different. Could best be summarised with the word...
    Spoiler:

Interesting...  (Feels the desire to go back and do it again.)
    More things I love about it?
    Spoiler:

Yep.  
    Spoiler:
    Another disappointment?
    Spoiler:

I'll admit I left most of that until the end.
    Spoiler:
  • I have a new mission:

I want all the grandmaster sets, just for decoration. Feline and wolf have been made, but they're bloody expensive. I can easily see the rest costing me 100K or more.

I have a sickness.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!