The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Olimite wrote:
    Can someone help me. There are two versions on Amazon on Bone seemingly. Which one should I be going for?

They look to be the same at a quick glance - except one comes with a map and some stickers.  So, erm, yeah, whichever's cheapest.  
    I think I'm playing the game wrong or I'm missing something because even on normal I'm dying in combat with frightening regularity. The loading between deaths has put me off playing it anymore tbh.

The load times are awful, agreed.  

When it comes to not dying - equip Swallow to a quick slot, and use it during battle - if you're playing on the normal difficulty then meditating will replenish it afterwards, so don't worry about running out.  (I think in theory if you have no alcohol this doesn't work, but it's never been an issue in the whole time I've played.)

Also, make sure you've got the hang of your signs as they make a big difference.  Use Quen to minimise damage - just replenish after each hit.  Alternatively, if you're a complete coward like me, then keeping your distance and utilising Igni to roast them without even getting close can be very effective.  (Especially with multiple foes.)  Aard is also handy for crowd control/dealing with shields.  Flying stuff can often be dropped using Axii.  Yrden's handy with ghosts, but really comes into its own once it gets to a decent level, making it almost hilariously easy to dodge attacks from pretty much anyone (especially when combined with a bit of Axii to slow them further).

Other than that, try and take any opportunity to upgrade your weaponry - the Viper gear's handy early on, then build up a Witcher set later if you can.  Likewise the armour.  Once you've got some oils, use them - if you know what you're going to face equip them in advance.

Also - you can run away in most battles, and return later.  There were certainly occasions early on where I resorted to this technique.  If you leg it round the corner and heal, your enemy will have retained their injuries.  Obviously this isn't a particularly noble approach to winning, but it beats staring at the loading screen.

Finally, don't forget to dodge.  I, erm, completely forgot this was an option until a particularly notorious boss later in the game - which I guess sums up how well you can cope with just judicious use of signs.  But both the standard dodge (which uses no stamina) and the more dramatic dodge roll (which uses quite a bit, but invariably gets you to safety) will get you out of most situations.
  • JonB wrote:
    TheDJR wrote:
    Equip Swallow or White Rafford's whatever to your quick slots.
    I use swallow. It's not very swift.

The latter is instant.

• Also Quen is best, Max it ASAP and use it constantly.
  • Not come across that yet AFAIK.

Edit: the Rafford thing.
  • Cheers fellas. Need to find Raffords and upgrade Quen then. Not a fan of damage reduction stuff really as you're kind of resigning yourself to taking damage. I don't like getting hit.
  • All the above advice is good. I find W3 to be a game of group management- don't get greedy with hits, never throw yourself into the middle of the opposition. ALWAYS keep your guard up and don't be afraid to walk slowly backwards to bunch enemies together. Like in Dark Souls - trying to get that extra hit in will definitely see you get punished.

I don't use Quen that much at all - I upgraded the basic level and nowt more. It's useful for enemies with AoE attacks and wide swings - otherwise the 2 dodges should be enough for most enemies if you really don't want Quen.

Yrden is super useful with wraiths, especially the 2nd tier slot.

There's also a red mutation character upgrade which allows you to deflect bolts, which is very useful.

For me:

HoS done, now onto B&W.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    HoS thoughts?

Enjoyed it loads at points, less so at others.
    Spoiler:
  • I'd say that's all fair comment. 
    Spoiler:
  • I used the original Witcher chest still lol, I think it looks the best.
  • Went back to find your thoughts...
    tin_robot wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Highlights for me were...
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

With regards the end:
    Spoiler:
  • Had a good blast on this today thanks to an early finish at work. Had got a bit bored but think I'm passed the dull bit now, keen to get cracking with the rest.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Group fight stage of the knight's tourney is a right arsepain on B&BBs. Rest of the team gets slaughtered in seconds and you're left trying to find an opening to strike with one quick attack or else you're countered and bundled. Combat against humans is really limited later in the game when they all counter so readily.

lol signs.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Oh so no one bats an eyelid if you use potions in the arena apparently. Gd1CDPR.
  • Knights Tourney is a bit of a pain in the arse altogether really, I found the horseback bit unbelievably hard for some reason.

I think I'm very near the end of B&W.  I've got a tiny bit left to do, so I'll reserve judgement until then - but will say that what I assume is the final boss is a complete bastard. (Having found the previous B&W bosses fairly straight forward.)
  • That's Blood and Wine finished then.  (Well, almost, there are one or 2 question marks left on the map, but not many.)  

Spoiler free thoughts first - Barring the final boss, I liked it a lot.  I enjoyed the change of tone, the whole thing's a lot more playful than the rest of Witcher.  There are moments where the whole "fairytale kingdom" thing gets turned up to 11 which I suppose might irritate some, but for me just underlined again that this isn't just Velen 2.0.  Most importantly though, it felt like an appropriate ending to the series.

And now, massive spoilers.  (Really.  Ending of the game stuff.)
    Spoiler:
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Group fight stage of the knight's tourney is a right arsepain on B&BBs. Rest of the team gets slaughtered in seconds and you're left trying to find an opening to strike with one quick attack or else you're countered and bundled. Combat against humans is really limited later in the game when they all counter so readily.

lol signs.

Same problem, except on DM. Gave up after 2 failures because of the number of cutscenes directly afterwards - meaning it takes an age to reload. I just ended up accepting the defeat. I'll try it again on B&BBs another time.
  • My god, that Skellige deck.
  • Yeah, B&W is just incredible. The expansion pack is an absolute bargain.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm a big fan of the death rattle cards. Skellige storm is awesome for Monster decks.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    I'm a big fan of the death rattle cards. Skellige storm is awesome for Monster decks.

I like Cerys + Dandelion. There's some insane combos (and some massive handicaps) to the Skellige deck. More than any other deck I have to think how I'll play a hand depending on the draw. So many possibilities.
  • Cerys is a great card - I know if I have her in the draw, then I've basically won.  What's interesting with the Skellige deck is that you're essentially forced to let the game run to three rounds if you want a decent chance of winning.  Which for me was a big change - I'm used to forcing my way through in two, abusing spies and medics to get there, something the Skellige deck doesn't really support.  But once you've made it to round three you can wreck merry hell.

My only issue with it is that I never quite settled on a favourite strategy (some work better against certain decks than others), and it's very Scorchable...
  • Just popped on to mop up some of the final question marks on Blood and Wine.  There's a cave just north-west of Basane Farm, with a house nearby.  Go visit the person who lives there, it's worth it...
  • Near the top left of my HUD there's a circular icon with a sword in it, and a green line around it.  Does the green line indicate the state of repair of my sword?  If so, which one?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's a buff. The circle is a radial timer.
  • Sorry, is there anywhere I can see what the buff is?  I'm looking through the menu and can't find them.

Edit: Turns out I did it at a grindstone.
  • Been spending a bit more time with this. I'm enjoying it a bit more, although I'd like the combat to feel a bit heavier. I'm also struggling with ALL OF THE STORY ALL THE TIME EVERYWHERE. I just had a guy talk me through what all is going on in the world while pointing at a map (with all of the place names written in a made-up alphabet, so helpful) and none of it stuck in my brain. People with names are fighting in places with names for reasons. I think my Geralt will be neutral through ignorance rather than choice.

I'm obviously going to have to find my way back to the area I started off in, too. Before I knew it, I was whisked away by narrative, and everything here seems to need me to be more levelled up. As someone who hasn't played many RPGs, I find Geralt's ability to carry a gazillion things even when he had no pockets, satchels or saddle-bags a bit silly.

I still don't think it's totes-amazeballs, but it's got me interested enough to keep playing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!