The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Hey, this is defenitely better than 2. Don't immediately hate the combat, a lot tighter. controls in general seem to have a lot of great ideas. looks stunning, if you can see past the hud.

Seems to be a metric fucktonne to do pretty immediately.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I made the hud smaller.
  • Ah, figured you might be able to do that, seems like there's an option for everything.

Tough going from FH3 to this though, both open world, but very different approaches to how to treat the player. (I know one is a racer and one an RPG.)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I think you can pick and choose what to keep from the HUD. I know turning the map off was a fantastic decision for me, really made me take in the surroundings instead of staring at the mini map while horsey took care of things. I quite liked getting off the horse and going hiking too.

I'll never finish this. Just got to Skellige (sp) the last time I drifted away. I loved it though.
  • Did they ever get round to giving you the option of disabling all those ?  littered all over the map.  That's what killed it for me. Oh, yet another treasure cache with feck all of worth in it!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    To be honest that's why I couldn't go on. My OCD was killing me but I was just completely overwhelmed by all the things on the map. A really good game but could have done with some trimming down on the amount of day to day clutter.
  • I actually did all the ?s on the main area. Wasn't even a plan, just started wandering and kept going. There are a lot of places I'd never have found otherwise - completely outside the main story and yet still very fleshed out. Was really impressed by it and probably wouldn't have bothered if not for the ?s to pique my interest. Sometimes it's not the destination that matters but the journey, and all that.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I know but my brain literally can't handle it. I look at the map and my very existence begins to melt. Ahhhhhhhh! Even thinking about thinking about it aggravates me :P
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Sometimes it's not the destination that matters but the journey, and all that.

Correct. Just plod about being a VVitcher until you've had your fill of it.
  • VVitcher
    That's enough of that.
  • Just pootle about being a VVitcher until you've had your fill of it.

• Speedhaak wrote:
    To be honest that's why I couldn't go on. My OCD was killing me but I was just completely overwhelmed by all the things on the map. A really good game but could have done with some trimming down on the amount of day to day clutter.

Why I jacked it in. There's just too much and a lot of it is just follow your Witchery senses to find a thing. Very repetitive.

• I bought this on sale like a year ago. Been dusting off games on the pile of shame
     First I played dragon age inquisition trespasser dlc. Went through it joylessly. In the end not a good game. Twas like a formality wank, where sperm comes out at the end but the vinegar strokes are on strike. Really worried about bioware.

Played uncharted 4. Great opening couple of hours but got dull after a while. I will finish it though.

Then I played this. I would say this is the best story RPG I've ever played. Probably one of the best games I've ever played. Got vibes from Kotor, Oblivion and the like but with none of the crap of a Bethesda game. The only thing lacking is mechanically, combat is flashy but not my thing, since you have to apply potions and choose the correct bombs etc. I just trawled through the whole game on easy because I can't spend too much time on combat. Still, absolutely amazing game, I even looked into the previous games and lore etc to fully appreciate it. 

Bought the expansion pass yesterday without a second thought. Have researched cdproject red and understand the hype now about cyberpunk. I'm fully behind this company. If mass effect Andromeda ends up short, which is where the smart money is IMO, bioware will end up being replaced by cdproject red as the last hope for story based action RPG fans.
  • Anyway this is a great video on the cdproject red

https://youtu.be/DOe-661RV-0
  • Awesome - I love this game. All time top 10 for me, and the expansions dlcs are amazing. Enjoy! :D
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I said it a few pages back, if I were back in 2004 in college participating in some of those formality wanks you talk about then I may have had the time to dive head first into it, as it stands though just couldn't muster the time and energy to finish it off. Finished the game though. Superb.
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    I said it a few pages back, if I were back in 2004 in college participating in some of those formality wanks you talk about then I may have had the time to dive head first into it, as it stands though just couldn't muster the time and energy to finish it off. Finished the game though. Superb.

Why I put it on easy when I played, and why I put it off for almost a year after playing the first hour.
  • It's tough going to stick with it sometimes. The gameplay really isn't that strong and there's a massive amount of padding and busywork. Can't match the incredible detail in the story and the world though - worth it for that in the end.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    From a story delivery perspective and creatively it is light years ahead of anything Bioware have done though. Which is nice, they need a good kick up the ass. There are still a good few quests that remain in my range of thought having not even touched the game in roughly a year yet I couldn't tell you one interesting quest I played in DA:I last sep.
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    From a story delivery perspective and creatively it is light years ahead of anything Bioware have done though. Which is nice, they need a good kick up the ass. There are still a good few quests that remain in my range of thought having not even touched the game in roughly a year yet I couldn't tell you one interesting quest I played in DA:I last sep.

The one good moment in DAI is the discovery of your base thingy with the singing bit.

ME3 remains mechanically more playable, on account of sounder shooting and power mechanics - really you don't need to pause and select things, just assign your powers and that is that.

I played Deus ex Is as well, also disappointing in the end. 

Witcher 3 - which I still haven't completed, genuinely had some of the most emotional moments I have ever encountered in a RPG.

The bloody baron in particular and the choice between dikstra and silly hat man was really hard. I loved the former as a character but hat man and his blondie subwere loyal to me. Genuine RPG stuff.

So many lols as well. Genuinely good writing which I have not encountered in any game bar rockstar perhaps. The mages on the ship's trying to decipher the code coming from lighthouse flashes, the trolls, the one liners from geralt. 

I would have what myself with joy of yennefer had reacted to my mistake of selecting a strumpet instead of her for a quest. Said strumpet said "same again handsome?", From the last time I had visited. Sadly yen did not react to what was said a yard from her. Room for progress still.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    The Bloody Baron quest line was fantastic. Really enjoyed that one, did not turn out how I expected.
  • Definitely my favourite narrative RPG by some margin.  What CDPR get right, which so many others get wrong, is to actually bother with stories for the side quests.  Whilst some are, admittedly, the usual "go find monster X and kill it" there are others which spin off into altogether unexpected directions.  

(I also think that, despite it going against perceived wisdom, the decision to make Geralt a defined character in his own right, rather than merely some empty avatar for the player to occupy, adds a fair bit of weight to the story.)

Definitely play the expansions - and definitely save Blood and Wine for last - not only is it essentially an entire game in its own right, it's also basically an extended epilogue/ nostalgic goodbye to all that came before.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Definitely my favourite narrative RPG by some margin.  What CDPR get right, which so many others get wrong, is to actually bother with stories for the side quests.  Whilst some are, admittedly, the usual "go find monster X and kill it" there are others which spin off into altogether unexpected directions.  

(I also think that, despite it going against perceived wisdom, the decision to make Geralt a defined character in his own right, rather than merely some empty avatar for the player to occupy, adds a fair bit of weight to the story.)

Definitely play the expansions - and definitely save Blood and Wine for last - not only is it essentially an entire game in its own right, it's also basically an extended epilogue/ nostalgic goodbye to all that came before.

Yup, the amount of depth and complexity given to characters and quests who barely matter in the long run is astounding - Rosa von Attre being an example of the former, the Lighthouse quest leading to a fistfight leading to madman Lugos, leading to the cave quest ring an example of the latter.

Oh, and Gwent.

But yeah, a world that feels real and lived in, full of people who matter and exist outside of your interaction with them, with their own stories and motivations. An incredible achievement.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Easy money Gonz would be a Yen man.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Easy money Gonz would be a Yen man.

I thought that but, I had a nagging suspicion in the back of my mind that he might have gone for Triss - I thought perhaps Yen's personality might have made him think he was a "beta cuck".

Assuming he did stick with Yen though, that be the best choice. <3 Yen
  • Easy money Gonz would be a Yen man.
    I thought that but, I had a nagging suspicion in the back of my mind that he might have gone for Triss - I thought perhaps Yen's personality might have made him think he was a "beta cuck". Assuming he did stick with Yen though, that be the best choice. <3 Yen

I originally was gonna go for triss, even though I know I am supposed to be with yen. Reasons: I had no idea who yen was, and secondly, triss was nice and also reminded me of the ugly one (thematically at least) in l'appartement with Monica belluci and Vincent Cassel. I was infuriated, when I researched the first two games, that yen featured not at all in those games (and if she did I missed them, whereas triss did, loads. Hardcore book fans say triss is a cunt for not telling geralt about yen but neither did any of his other friends, so that makes no sense
     Anyway, I fucked the shit out of triss, but then I reloaded the save and told her to go so I could romance yen (since now she featured in skellige loads). Honestly though, I don't regret it at all. Yen 4eva the sassy minx is right for me. Only trouble : triss is a red head and also I do feel like she has roughly 15-20% larger areolas which is a big deal for me these days.
  • I'm annoyed that I missed mad man lubos wot cinty described. I missed a lot probably, not enough time to give this game it's due.
  • Having had a break for a year, it has been wonderful heading back into The Witcher and finishing it off. Went right into Heart of Stone DLC too and that has been excellent so far. Brilliant new characters, lovely fairy tale inspired story and imaginative, fun quests.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!