The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • I have a new mission: I want all the grandmaster sets, just for decoration. Feline and wolf have been made, but they're bloody expensive. I can easily see the rest costing me 100K or more. I have a sickness.

I got the plans for all, but didn't bother making them (but am now tempted).  I do, however, have the Grandmaster Griffin gear, and would say that the advantages bestowed by having the set are ridiculous. (In a good way.)

And, yes, it's insanely expensive.  

(And as I said before, I upset all the merchants which doesn't help matters either.)
  • Thought I might finish this today, but turns out there's still a good chunk left.

Going to see it through though.
  • JonB wrote:
    Thought I might finish this today, but turns out there's still a good chunk left.

Going to see it through though.

Where you at now?
  • Well...
    Spoiler:
  • JonB wrote:
    Well...
    Spoiler:

Nice. Congrats on that fight - I think it was made slightly easier in a patch but I remember it kicked my ass several times, so we'll done.

And you've got some cool stuff coming up. Enjoy.
  • That big guy?

I got killed by his final phase the first time, but just about scraped through the second.

I've been slightly over leveled for the main quests for some time (30 now, I think), so that's probably helped. I've been dying much much less than I was early in the game.

Which reminds me, I could upgrade my feline gear again now, but still need to find some maps.
  • JonB wrote:
    That big guy?

I got killed by his final phase the first time, but just about scraped through the second.

I've been slightly over leveled for the main quests for some time (30 now, I think), so that's probably helped.

Which reminds me, I could upgrade my feline gear again now, but still need to find some maps.

Re: the big guy.
    Spoiler:
  • I pretty much panic dodged my way through it. As long as I could keep recharging quen between combos, it was OK to take the odd hit.

TBH, I think quen is overpowered, especially against single enemies. And with light armour making stamina recharge faster, I can have it on almost all the time.
  • Started playing again yesterday with every intention of getting on with the main story.

Instead I got sidetracked and did absolutely none of it. Spent over 2 hours roaming around points of interest. Far too easy to get distracted playing this, but at least there are hardly any ?s left in Velen/Novigrad.
  • JonB wrote:
    Started playing again yesterday with every intention of getting on with the main story.

Instead I got sidetracked and did absolutely none of it.

1st world Witcher problems.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Not sure if I dig the slight hint of a keffiyeh that the Granmastakrafta Griffin chest has.

Either way I'm decked out in the most ludicrous combination of dyes going. Toussaint fashion is all about being a colour blind knight errant.
  • Finished the game last night.

Overall, genuinely impressed by the sheer scope and detail of the world, characters and plot lines. Don't think I've played a game quite this huge, where every location seems to have been so carefully designed, and it all looks amazing. It's quite an achievement and makes exploring worthwhile for its own sake.

But, the trade off of having so much to get through is that it struggles to find interesting things for you to do a lot of the time. There's masses of busywork and padding of quests that stands in for gameplay. 

And then the real gameplay - the combat and crafting/alchemy - lacks depth. The early part of the game is far harder than the rest, and once you get the hang of it and level up a bit it's easy enough to hack your way through everything without needing 90% of the potions, oils, bombs etc. (on B&BB difficulty). A lot of fights only last a few seconds, so by the time I might've gone into the menu, selected a different potion, and used it, I could have just stabbed the thing anyway. Pretty much discourages any experimentation, and it definitely could do with trading some quantity for more complex enemies that actually demand different tactics.

Anyway, there was clearly just enough there for the non-gameplay elements to do their work, as I bothered to finish it. That side of it is really quite something.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Trying to do the Gwent tournament and man, I find the Skellige deck more than any other is at the mercy of a bad initial draw. Especially when playing against Nilfer who most definitely isn't due to spy spam.
  • @JonB

Even though I don't have the same feeling as you do about it, I can't disagree with any of it. I actually really liked it mechanically, but it wouldn't have been enough by itself for me to get through it.

The world, the characters, the care, love and attention - it all seeps through wonderfully.
    Don't think I've played a game quite this huge, where every location seems to have been so carefully designed, and it all looks amazing. It's quite an achievement and makes exploring worthwhile for its own sake.

Deffo agree with this.
    A lot of fights only last a few seconds, so by the time I might've gone into the menu, selected a different potion, and used it, I could have just stabbed the thing anyway. Pretty much discourages any experimentation, and it definitely could do with trading some quantity for more complex enemies that actually demand different tactics.

And that's deffo an issue. The dlc (if you were gonna try it) really mixes it up with enemies and combat - they block and counter attack far more viciously, and there's several enemies thy use AoE attacks that prevent the get in close and dodge to their side approach. It's still not perfect, though.
  • Strangely, given what I've said, I might consider DLC at some point. It's a gameworld I'd be happy to have more of. Not for a while though.
  • Coolio. Take a break and come back when ready - they're both well worth it and very generous.
  • Had a great session on this earlier.

Was at a good point to deviate from the main quest, so looked through my list and picked one out that seemed straightforward enough for my level - something about pearl diving.

That bit was easy enough, but the quest left me in the middle of a stormy island with either a tricky journey back or a lighthouse further ahead.

I headed for the lighthouse to see if it had a signpost for fast travelling, only to discover a creeping mist hiding a dead body, this led me to another short but interesting (never trust a lighthouse keeper) little hunting quest.  I cleared that but was instructed to report back to some guy at a inn.

I headed for the inn via the signpost, where I was harassed by two miserable Irish fellas.  The guy I was meeting saw them off and spoke with me for a bit, after which the two tossers were back.  Cue fisticuffs, but things got out of hand, the two shits pulled swords and killed the other guy, so I killed them.  Mob of locals led by the father of my victims outside, and I'm hauled off to jail!

After a jedi mind trick I'm out of jail and negotiating with the local Jarl who agrees to let me go if I help his son go on a weird herbal trip down a cave... 

Cave cleared and I'm back in the middle of nowhere, I looked at the map and located the most likely place to have a signpost and headed there.  Along the beach with the wind in my hair, I turned up a hilly path...fucking big dragon!  Horse bolts, I leg it with a sliver of health left (dragon is about twice my level), only to find a lighthouse beset on all sides by harpies (or some such).  Fuck!  I run away just far enough to call my horse, we escape the harpies and dragon only to find the place we're headed instead is a fucking monster nest!

Great game!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I loved that whole sequence too. Absolutely awesome stuff.
  • That does actually sound amazing, I just need a save about 3 hours in so I don't have to play them another time
  • I love the way that most things that happen at least seem to be a consequence of your decision making.
  • Yeah, good read.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's a'ite.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Nearing the end of B&W. Polished off the three Hanse's, all message board quests and found all the grandmaster gear though I've only bothered to make the whole set of Griffin branded merchandise. Most of those quests were a bit dull apart from the Manticore lad. Nice tale. I can't be bothered unveiling all points of interest though.

I'd actually gotten used to Toussaint's feel and culture until I went back to Velen to buy Offieri gear and it was like night and day. Also realised you don't get bad weather in Toussaint. Which makes sense being wine country I guess. Part of me missed the Nordling storms.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Spoiler:
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Spoiler:

Yeah, that was a seriously impressive moment.

In other news, back in Novigrad on my latest playthrough and it seems they've reskinned Vivaldi. Hadn't realised that before - he looks very different now.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ooh bollo spoilered something. Must be big small and inconsequential.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    That was posted before i had the spoiler intervention.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    heh

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!