Climate change apathy Ragnarok thread
  • Or rather they give me headaches.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sorry for the rant. My button got pushed. :D

Fair play, it does sound like you've had to deal with some idiots. But, don't worry, I won't be turning up and shouting the odds, I'm a city boy through and through. You have about as much chance of finding me living in the countryside as you do a fish living on a mountain.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    alaska-salmon-jumping-P.jpeg
  • Word. Cities are cool, too.

And gripes with (some, maybe even many) farmers can be legit. I feel proud that my pa has stood apart when it comes with trying to keep the countryside safe, clean and affordable. He always took ridiculously good care of the cattle, too, above and beyond what many farmers do.

Unfortunately, a lot of UK farmers feel they are fighting with one hand tied behind their back - the standards in the UK are not being properly enforced across Europe so they are losing a price war. It's no wonder many are resistant to what they see as more change.
  • Aren't all farmers Tories?
  • My dad's a John Pilger watching lefto. And a farm manager.
  • Well that's something. Is he for badger culls or no?
  • Can't say for sure, it's been a while since we talked about it.

He wasn't opposed to vaccination but worried about how viable it was. Also, as i mentioned before, he takes care of his livestock, so his inclination is always to do what is best for the cows - the fact bTB has little to no influence on humans isn't a concern to him.

I wouldn't say he's pro-cull, rather that he doesn't know how any of the other options can or will work.

It's a moot point for him now anyway - the livestock were sold off by order of the board to get cash for the other arm of the business (which he has no control over). He built that company from a loss-maker into a profitable estate only to see mismanagement piss it all away.

He manages the farming and housing parts of the estate now - finds tenants with good business plans and gives them low (enough) rates on long-ish contracts to ensure a continual cash-flow for the company, but the actual farming side is dead, through no fault of his own. He can't wait to retire.
  • He is deffo anti-fox hunting, though, I know that for sure.
  • I'm pro fox hunting. Different context though.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Farmers, as a group, are no worse and no better than any other group of humans. Which is to say most of them are selfish and greedy and will prioritise whatever benefits them, individually, over any other concern. Just like almost everyone else.

If you give such people power over the land and its uses, that land will be suborned to the personal desires of those people unless they are virtuous and far-seeing. It happens in town planning and it happens on farms.

All you can do is introduce and enforce regulations and laws that stop us being the worst of ourselves.

However if you take away regulations, and the proper means to enforce those regulations; if you enforce regulations unevenly in a common market; if you let yourself be lobbied by a powerful organisation of selfish interests - then you set yourself up for disastrous mismanagement of land resulting in more flooding, species extinction, antibiotic failure apocalypse, tree blights, food-borne diseases, and environmental catastrophe.

How many of those boxes can we tick today? Fox-hunting is a drop in the ocean, merely a revelatory moral failing and class distinction being revelled in rather than a serious issue.

As in other groups there are great people who only want what's best for not only themselves but also the environment and other people, which sounds like CiT's dad. But my impression of rural management, coming from an ex-farming family myself, is that these paragons are overwhelmingly outnumbered (in acreage terms, not in individuals).

The brand power land-owners have not only in this country, but across Europe (look at the French who consistently block attempts to seriously reform the CAP) is unbelievable. It's time we broke them up, returned to smaller farm holdings, resisted the industrialisation of farming and take individual responsibility for our choices (meat, dairy, out of season fruit n veg, etc).
  • Supermarkets have to share some of the blame and ultimately that blame also lies on the consumer, but try telling that to a skint single mother. We certainly need to start eating less meat.
  • The problem, which starts to seem insurmountable, is that you need a totally integrated suite of policies to combat things like bad farming practice.

These would cover things like making sure a skint single mother is not, in fact, skint, and is able to afford quality food if she so wishes.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Farmers, as a group, are no worse and no better than any other group of humans. Which is to say most of them are selfish and greedy and will prioritise whatever benefits them, individually, over any other concern. Just like almost everyone else.

If you give such people power over the land and its uses, that land will be suborned to the personal desires of those people unless they are virtuous and far-seeing. It happens in town planning and it happens on farms.

All you can do is introduce and enforce regulations and laws that stop us being the worst of ourselves.

However if you take away regulations, and the proper means to enforce those regulations; if you enforce regulations unevenly in a common market; if you let yourself be lobbied by a powerful organisation of selfish interests - then you set yourself up for disastrous mismanagement of land resulting in more flooding, species extinction, antibiotic failure apocalypse, tree blights, food-borne diseases, and environmental catastrophe.

How many of those boxes can we tick today? Fox-hunting is a drop in the ocean, merely a revelatory moral failing and class distinction being revelled in rather than a serious issue.

As in other groups there are great people who only want what's best for not only themselves but also the environment and other people, which sounds like CiT's dad. But my impression of rural management, coming from an ex-farming family myself, is that these paragons are overwhelmingly outnumbered (in acreage terms, not in individuals).

The brand power land-owners have not only in this country, but across Europe (look at the French who consistently block attempts to seriously reform the CAP) is unbelievable. It's time we broke them up, returned to smaller farm holdings, resisted the industrialisation of farming and take individual responsibility for our choices (meat, dairy, out of season fruit n veg, etc).

Agree on pretty much every count.

• Old fellow we're going to have such a love in in a couple of weeks.
    No-one's taken me up on that spare bed yet...
  • Anyone got any thoughts on this?
  • Its cheaper in Western Australia in some parts to fully equip a house with solar + battery power and remain entirely off grid than it is to connect to the grid if you're not in an already-serviced division.

I'd also consider that a distributed power network (i.e. PV panels on every building) would be more reliable than a centralised utility plant because catastrophic failure would be unlikely to hit everywhere all at once.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Pretty fucking cool...

earth_temperature_timeline.png
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Nice. Very nice.

Small thing around some of the historical things:

isn't the land crossing to America now contested a little?

I base this on headlines I've seen only.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If XKCD says it, it must be true.
  • Worth remembering that the reasons for the Ice Age starting/disappearing are not properly understood but it's perhaps common. You can imagine the conflict should it happen again and it will. Maybe we should enjoy the clement weather and party regardless because nothing lasts forever and why should we? Do we deserve to? Does it even matter? Lack of alien signals is sobering.
  • Little green bastids leeching our wifi.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Lack of alien signals is sobering.
    Plenty of possible explanations for that. There's the recent suggestion what I posted in the science thread about how Earth may simply have had life develop very early. Alternatively, the theory that there is a certain point that most forms of life don't get past (I forget the name) may not mean that all life forms wipe themselves out, it may mean that many life forms do not reach the point that we do. I often wonder if the simple fact that our planet is tilted causing seasons was a significant driver of evolution as early life needed to move to find food.

As far as another ice age goes, if our global warming has taught us anything it's a great deal of understanding about our planet's climate, knowledge that could be bought to bear to mitigate falling temperatures.

Generally, I think that if we get past global warming then, barring an asteroid strike, I think we'll muddle along for an extremely long time.
  • The Fermi Paradox. There's loads of possible explanations why we haven't picked up on alien signals. I think it would be pretty mad if its just us.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I could do without Klingon poetry.
  • Brooks, you started this thread 2 years ago and we still aren't under water. Talk about scaremongering!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Yeah it's cold here ritwe naow, stick that in your pipes and smoke it sciencers!
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Dynamiteready beat me to it.
    Cross-posted to science thread.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!