Bear & Badger Recommends
  • They were ported to the PSone (and Saturn) which should be easier to get hold of.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I don't think they were quite the same, the cheat codes on 3DO fifa were brilliant, giant players, laser ball, was quite a chuckle. Cannon Fodder was cracking, also a capture the flag type game, space hulk, all the EA sports games were the best in class at the time
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Cannon Fodder, I had that on Jaguar too and Syndicate, Syndicate was brilliant had that on SNES too I think.
    ---
    PSN - radioninty
    Lego, Labour & Resogun
  • cockbeard wrote:
    I don't think they were quite the same, the cheat codes on 3DO fifa were brilliant, giant players, laser ball, was quite a chuckle. Cannon Fodder was cracking, also a capture the flag type game, space hulk, all the EA sports games were the best in class at the time

Not to surprising considering the Trip Hawkins connection.

I do remember hearing the PS ports weren't as good, if they aren't they're certainly not poor to the extent of tarnishing my memory of the 3DO versions.

Space Hulk was another good one I played actually and of course Super Street Fighter II Turbo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • What was the rules here regarding re-releases etc?

Was gonna do my Wii Top 10 but want to know whats allowed?

Metroid Prime Trilogy? 2 GCN games
    Ghost Squad? An old arcade rail shooter
    Goldeneye 007? Heavy remake
    Resident Evil 4? GCN remake with added Wiimote support
    Twilight Princess? Almost simultaneous cross gen release
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Eric's stance seemed to be anything goes iirc.
  • Look at that lovely OP.  Quality stuff.
  • In that case:

Wii
    1. Super Mario Galaxy
    2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
    3. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
    4. Metroid Prime Trilogy
    5. The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
    6. New Super Mario Bros Wii
    7. Donkey Kong Country Returns
    8. No More Heroes 2
    9. Punch Out
    10. Sin & Punishment

Didn't include Resi 4, even though I think it's better on Wii the 'experience' of that game for me came on GCN much like MGS PSone > GCN remake.

Also decided against all the on rail shooters. As much as I love them and played them all to death not having a proper gun with 1:1 aiming did take away from the experience ever so slightly, but I've played enough I could actually do a Top 10 rail shooters alone.

Mario Kart is another glaring omission, as good as it is I just never put the time in like I did with the DS version that generation. I had a little blind spot with MK in Double Dash, Super Circuit and Wii.

Honourable mentions: Zack & Wiki, Excite truck and Warioware Smooth Moves.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Forgot Wii for Top-10-ed-ness.

Mine

1 & 2. Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
    3. Mario Kart Wii - simply because of the 100s of hours I and my kids have clocked up on this. Pure unadulterated family fun.
    4. Wii Sports Resort. What Wii Sports should have been. A riot in multi-player and the Golf and Bowling games will last forever.
    5. Geometry Wars Galaxies - an excellent remix of GW with splendid variety in the different levels that vary from the original's style to Asteroids tributes.
    6. Punch Out - Excellent remake with NES control , wavy and even balance board options.
    7. Boom Blox - Basic knock down the blocks game with loads of content including Jenga-esque modes.
    8. House of the Dead Overkill - pure arcade shooting. With a dual wield mode.
    9. Kororinpa - beautiful physics and a stupendous example of the accuracy of the tilt control
    10. Tetris Party Deluxe - excellent main game and a pile of weird and wonderful new games to play within the basic ruleset for up to 4 players that will last forever.

Honorable mentions :

I couldn't pick between SMB Wii and DKC Returns so had to leave 'em both out.
    Bit Trip Complete
    Trauma Centre
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Nice list, few good ones there that didn't make mine. Lot of good Wii games imo, a very underrated console considering it sold 100m.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Great work with the wii lists chaps, it has been a neglected platform for listage so far.

I am looking forward to compiling this when I get the chance, I have been mad busy at work the past couple of months but hopefully calming down now
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I started a PS3 list then realised I still have a handful of games that could trouble my top 10 so I'll have to hold off on that for a few months, it'll probably coincide with my purchase of a PS4.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Did you get signed permission for that avatar change? If not, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes when krs finds out.
  • How comes? Isn't krs the user with an apple in a mouth? I've not seen anyone else use it on here.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Finally got round to updating the OP with everyones console recommendations using Hylian Elfs GOTG spreadsheet with the F1 points scoring system (thanks again @hylian_elf).

Each console in the OP has a bracketed number next to it indicating the number of top tens it was based on. I have only calculated consoles if there are more than 5 top tens submitted otherwise the top ten is based on the first top ten posted for that specific console.

If Badgers want to update or add others feel free to post them and I will update them as they come in.

Some good recommendations in there folks.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That's not an apple
  • Game Gear:

1) Sonic the Hedgehog
    2) Columns
    3) Legend of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse
    4) Road Rash
    5) Shinobi
    6) Wonder Boy
    7) Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
    8) Fantasy Zone
    9) Desert Strike
    10 GG Aleste

The Game Gear was pretty shit in retrospect but I don't like seeing it without representation in the OP. I had one when I was 11 so never had that many games for it, scraping together 10 that I remember playing was pretty difficult, someone more into the machine might want to have a crack at a better list.
  • Nice Larry. I still have one but unfortunately it no longer works. I used to love Super Off Road and my neighbour had the MasterSystem converter for it so I got a bit of extended use from his library.

Added them!
  • PS2 list seems pretty bad, where's Persona 4?!
  • Didn't I get round to doing an MS list?  Will get on it, can't have Retro's mmm mmm mmmediocre Crash Test Dummies tie-in cluttering up the top ten.
  • @TheDJR there are only 6 PS2 entries with 40 choices entries which is proobably why its a bit skewed!

Moot, you and Retro did the only MS lists so still waiting on another 3 otherwise it just reads as 2 top 5's.

Ill pull one together as I played a few MS games back in the day
  • I had a Master System pretty early on and sold it before the later wave of games, so this list probably reflects that quite a bit:

1. Fantasy Zone 2
    2. Wonder Boy in Monster Land
    3. Wonder Boy 3
    4. Phantasy Star
    5. Alex Kidd in Miracle World
    6. Secret Command
    7. Psycho Fox
    8. The Ninja
    9. Kung Fu Kid
    10. Outrun
  • I have done one more update to the OP (official B&B Headings etc) and I think I'll leave this as is now for badger reference, unless there happnens to be a massive influx of new forum users ;)
  • Good work Eric!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'll do a VB Top 8 (its all I own) at some point this week so it ain't left blank.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Eric wrote:
    I have done one more update to the OP (official B&B Headings etc) and I think I'll leave this as is now for badger reference, unless there happnens to be a massive influx of new forum users ;)
    I don't think my MS list a few posts above is included, but great work. OPs look nice.
  • Thanks chaps. VB list would be great Retro, it will read like the Jaguar one I guess unless you actually have ten games for it.

I swear I'd updated that Jon. I'm on it!
  • We should also force @davyK in to a Top 10 Tetris games.

Nice to see the random top 10s included at the end there, really nice OP 10/10.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • How are Brannigan's Roast Beef & Mustard not in the top 5?  What the fuck are Frisps?
  • Very potatoey Frisps, I remember that!

Master System sorted, I added my only recomendation of Asterix in at No. 1 hence its rise!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!