The Fighty/UFC Thread
  • Some of what has been said in this thread goes against what happened to Kimbo Slice when he joined UFC and got his ass handed to him.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I see no problem with anyone learning any martial art, the benefits, fitness increase, fun, social, and mostly confidence are massive. However relying on one in any situation is likely to be a bad thing

It will come down to aggression and making the right choices. Don't go to a man, go through the man. Be prepared to break him, hurt him properly, make his buddies not want to be next, to be too scared to protect their mate

It doesn't make you a cunt, it stops you being a victim. Self defence can be performed pre-emptively, so don't worry too much about the coppers either
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I'm not mocking anything anyone has learned, I'm mocking the idea that people think anything they learn really counts for shit in a situation that is ultimately out of your control. I also think that getting in fights in the first place is pretty retarded full stop, regardless of how good you think your chances are or how much of a cunt the other guy was calling you.

The judo comment is pretty good, I clearly said anything I learned could not be relied upon in a real fight, but the classic stock response whenever a 'judo guy' opens his mouth because all the strikes aren't taught anymore and its all holds and grappling makes anything he says inferior to a guy from the army or a guy who is former football hooligan is pretty lolsome because neither of those instances feature someone's mrs taking a drip tray off the bar and cracking you over the back of your head with it either.

But most of all, I'm angry that people debote brainpower to thinking about they could win in a fight with x,y,z tactics or strategy when this is a forum of grown-ups who should have learned a long time ago that all violence is retarded and that fisticuffs irl are massively fail on all fronts.

Hunk's bus story notwistanding as he was diving in to help a guy, which doesn't really take any martial arts knowledge, just balls and the boiling indignation that you have to share the planet with people who behave like fucking chimps.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • There will always be times where martial arts knowledge will be applicable. Sometimes you won't have a choice.
    I'm just a green belt jiujitsu going on to blue belt. I haven't trained in quite a while (years) but the stuff the Gracies mention ring true as I also trained for street proficiency first and sporting after. It's the most effective way to train and become effective in self defense.
    Like cocko mentions, it's also very much a mentality thing. Use your brain; only use safe, effective tactics and moves usually involved in managing distance.
    Most of the time, fights are entirely avoidable. It's when you don't have a choice you have to fall back onto your martial arts proficiency.

As for the bus thing, I did use a jiu jitsu hold to control the ring leader. I grabbed him from behind with a simple chokehold and an armbar. The group tried to punch and kick me but as there was no room for a real fight I just held their buddy up as a human shield. Also knives, you never know. He eventually slipped into unconsciousness and by that time the others were too terified to dare attack me. After that the situation cooled down with the guys crouching over their collapsed buddy. I eventually managed to coach the original victim and his gf out of the bus and the assailants didn't even try to stop me.

Massive gamble that last move but everyting worked out in the end.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Self defence can be performed pre-emptively, so don't worry too much about the coppers either
    My first Tae kwon do instructor dayjobbed as a postman after leaving the Rangers. He was set upon by thugs who attempted to steal the post. So he put them down and he was brought to court. Apparently he wasnt meant to defend himself, but the just hand over the goodz.

@Skerret Nope sorry to disappoint it wasnt a fully nude, oiled up fight!
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    dammit
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    I'm not mocking anything anyone has learned, I'm mocking the idea that people think anything they learn really counts for shit in a situation that is ultimately out of your control. I also think that getting in fights in the first place is pretty retarded full stop, regardless of how good you think your chances are or how much of a cunt the other guy was calling you. The judo comment is pretty good, I clearly said anything I learned could not be relied upon in a real fight, but the classic stock response whenever a 'judo guy' opens his mouth because all the strikes aren't taught anymore and its all holds and grappling makes anything he says inferior to a guy from the army or a guy who is former football hooligan is pretty lolsome because neither of those instances feature someone's mrs taking a drip tray off the bar and cracking you over the back of your head with it either. But most of all, I'm angry that people debote brainpower to thinking about they could win in a fight with x,y,z tactics or strategy when this is a forum of grown-ups who should have learned a long time ago that all violence is retarded and that fisticuffs irl are massively fail on all fronts. Hunk's bus story notwistanding as he was diving in to help a guy, which doesn't really take any martial arts knowledge, just balls and the boiling indignation that you have to share the planet with people who behave like fucking chimps.

I don't think anyone in this thread has said that at all.  Also no one is saying it is a good idea to get into a fight. I have been in two scraps outside of a boxing ring since school.  Avoidance is always the better option and no one has said otherwise.
  • Yes avoidance is key.But I do agree if you are in a spot of having to defend yourself, mercilessly steamroll through the alpha in the group first.Then do a silly kung fu pose and make a beckoning motion to the rest.
  • I could have broken his arm and go on and try to do the same with his friends but I figured it was easier to just choke him till he was unconscious. I didn't do a victory pose but I'll consider it when in a bar fight some time.
  • Th pose is mandatory. You are not doing it right if you dont. An Arnie style quip would be advisable too. Really put the boot in.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Akuma-sf3-taunt.gif
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • 'McDojo dude' and 'all power to forward shields lol' (from another thread) have made me chuckle this lunch break. I like this forum.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    shut the fork up
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • You're just jealous 'cos you still think there's a spoon.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    there is though :(
  • why does no one do flying kicks anymore?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I'm practicing dragon punches...
    In the shower!!!
  • shoryuken!
  • I got beaten up whilst sleepwalking once.  I tend to talk nonsense and pace around now and then, or see things that aren't there, etc.  I half woke up to my other half screaming as I smashed my own face onto the radiator next to the bed, twice, from a kneeling position, as if I was struggling against the arm lock my arm was in behind my back.  Re-opened an old scar, CLARET EVERYEHERE BRUV. 

Was a touchy subject for a while, because it took a while for my wife to be happy putting it down to 'sleepwalking' rather than her initial thoughts of 'demon possession' or 'poltergeist'.  I still do odd stuff now and then - I rang her on her mobile last month, demanding to know what the bargain of a lifetime was that I was about to miss out on.  She was in the same bed and didn't have a clue what I was on about.  Turns out I didn't either.
  • Jesus, make sure you get enough sleep at night. You might have a serious case of sleep deprivation Also, go easy on the booze, not good for your day-night rhytm.

If above doesn't work, visit your GP. Just to make sure there's no serious underlying cause.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Grappling is the worst possible thing to do in that situation because you commit yourself to being on the ground and getting a kicking from your attackers mates.

I was talking about one-on-one. Against numbers, you run away if you fancy your chances, or you look for something to use as a weapon if not. If there's an alley or a corridor or summat, you Gerry the Butler up it.

The most important trait to have to be good at brawling is aggression.

And fitness. Fitness is vital. But if you're fit, then like I've just said, you should be able to outsprint most dudes.

Roujin wrote:
    Not even boxing can help!!!! Do they teach you how to fight rolling around on the floor after a guy just lunges at you and pulls you down?

Nope, and also...

Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The last time anything happened that I couldn't avoid, I broke a knuckle with the only punch I threw.

This has a name. It's why gloves were invented, because hands break before skulls. I've only ever seen one boxer involved in a club hubbub, and he used body punches exclusively. Haye showed that it's possible to chin someone without incurring an injury, but he had enough time to set himself to land it sweetly.

mk64 wrote:
    Kimbo Slice

He's as old as the Moon and twice as slow, with shite stamina. Shane Tilyard said that he was happy to fight him in a ring, but that he wouldn't have fancied it otherwise. James Toney - great boxer - didn't do much in MMA. Ray Mercer - good boxer - knocked out Tim Sylvia without much fuss. Both boxers were a clear decade past their primes.

Pele Reid once floored Vitali Klitschko with a kick, but unlike Vitali, Pele's boxing career was so-so. And he wouldn't have had room to launch that kick on the cobbles. Vitali'd be a street monster; he's a great chin, decent fitness, and he's big. That's often what it comes down to unless others intervene: durability. I've a lot of respect for Couture's approach to training, putting the emphasis on training for distance, and grinding out wins through toughness if necessary.

mk64 wrote:
    why does no one do flying kicks anymore?

Because there can be only one Larry Muthafuckin' Holmes...

Camp cops and shell suits, the video that has it all. (Larry was one of the greatest heavies, no question.)
  • hunk wrote:
    Jesus, make sure you get enough sleep at night. You might have a serious case of sleep deprivation Also, go easy on the booze, not good for your day-night rhytm. If above doesn't work, visit your GP. Just to make sure there's no serious underlying cause.

I usually get 6hrs at night plus a 1hr old man nap when I get in from work.  It's just a weird thing I've always done on and off (not the sleep fighting, just the total nonsense and long-winded convincing process that it is total nonsense, at which point I stop trying to make my point about wasps on the ceiling - or whatever - and just go back to bed with a laugh and an 'oh yeah').
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:
    Dunno if it still happens, but in terms of aggression, milling was real eye opener
    Milling? ibcsJ0M6cQk7KJ.gif
    Hmmm, I remember that bellend well. We took great pleasure in passing on all our footage to the police that day.
    This one better sums up my memory of it though...
    i3kkCholwmPGm_zpsff4848e8.gif

fucking tossers

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Escape wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The last time anything happened that I couldn't avoid, I broke a knuckle with the only punch I threw.
    This has a name. It's why gloves were invented, because hands break before skulls. I've only ever seen one boxer involved in a club hubbub, and he used body punches exclusively. ...
    Aye - and I was also really surprised when it was on QI that bare knuckle boxing is much, much safer than what we currently know as boxing, simply because of the gloves. Bare knuckle definitely a lot bloodier and all that, but hardly anyone (IIRC, no-one?) ever died, but the gloves and hand protection means that boxers can now punch each other in the head much, much harder, leading to way more brain damage, head injuries and deaths.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Gloves do reduce power, but they protect yer honds no end. Cleto Reyes are good lightweight gloves, but some prefer the cushioning of Grants.

There's some emerging evidence against larger gloves, citing their increased risk of brain damage via greater impact diffusion. Headguards were recently dropped for senior men in the amateurs for this reason (juniors and women still wear them).

Catching your head on a rope as you fall also has proven potential for whiplash-induced brain damage.
  • MMA gloves feel like shields on your hands hence all the brutal ko's. 

Oh and Im a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, not to be confused with traditional JJ, and would totally recommend it for anyone as a means of self defence/fuck mother fuckers up!!
  • I've never been in a fight.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    That's a sensible choice. I know I have posted a bit in here but, outside of the ring/cage/mat etc, I really hate fighting. Especially when drunk people are involved.
  • linked to a quiz but it led to a dating sign up so I've ditched it

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!